Underslung Rear Brake Caliper Gen 2

I don't get it. Is it a lowering the center of gravity thing? Is there any benefit that I'm missing?
I knew a 14 owner years back who converted the stock bottom mount caliper to a Gixxer 1k top mount bracket and caliper. He was into road racing. Top mount is the typical arrangement for just about every sportbike except the ZX-14, Hayabusa and all Ducatis. Bottom mount might get less heat off the pipe. That's the only advantage I can imagine but then you'd think they would do that on all literbikes and 600s since they are designed more for road racing where brakes get used hard.

Better caliper option could be considered one benefit I guess , 2 piston versus 1 piston . Weight lower down on bike , and lighter caliper carrier bracket , then offset in my application by heavier caliper , and less aerodynamic . In the older days of oil cooled GSXR racers , you would see rear brake set ups featuring the tiniest 2 piston caliper available , underslung on a skeletonised bracket / hanger , with thin bodied , tube /rod , heim jointed stay arm . Always loved that look , so like the fact my matching rear Brembo p2 is also underslung . Pros and cons for every choice , depending on your application and needs / desires . Nothing wrong with the stock rear set up standard , but always someone looking to change things a bit !! :rolleyes:

Better caliper option could be considered one benefit I guess , 2 piston versus 1 piston . Weight lower down on bike , and lighter caliper carrier bracket , then offset in my application by heavier caliper , and less aerodynamic . In the older days of oil cooled GSXR racers , you would see rear brake set ups featuring the tiniest 2 piston caliper available , underslung on a skeletonised bracket / hanger , with thin bodied , tube /rod , heim jointed stay arm . Always loved that look , so like the fact my matching rear Brembo p2 is also underslung . Pros and cons for every choice , depending on your application and needs / desires . Nothing wrong with the stock rear set up standard , but always someone looking to change things a bit !! :rolleyes:
Hi all I use the Beringer ultra light caliper and ultra light rotor from DME Racing.

Much better caliper, over stock

s-l1600.jpg

That will be a nice set up GIXERHP , 220MM Rotor , true Brembo carrier bracket , I like it !! :thumbsup:
Carpimoto EU is a great store to buy Brembo hardware from , bought that rear caliper and both RCS master cylinders and kevlar lines from those people .

Back