Underslung Rear Brake Caliper Gen 2

Fredyp33

Registered
Is it possible to convert a Gen 2 rear caliper to an underslung setup? I’ve been researching and haven’t been able to come up with an answer.

No , but you can get Brembo and some other brands to underslung instead , uses the same swingarm brake carrier slot as the stocker .
DSCF1262.JPG

Thanks RoadToad. I saw your picture in another post and was intrigued on your setup. I don’t know if Brembo would sell the bracket by itself, but do you think the Brembo bracket is compatible with the OEM caliper?

I know the stock caliper design is a little dated. I think it has just a single piston that squeezes both pads together instead of one piston / pad. but I prefer the top mounted caliper. It's more out of the way. Maybe a bit less vulnerable in a crash.

Thanks RoadToad. I saw your picture in another post and was intrigued on your setup. I don’t know if Brembo would sell the bracket by itself, but do you think the Brembo bracket is compatible with the OEM caliper?
No , the Brembo is 84mm mounting , the stock is something else . The stock is single piston anyway , but the stock set up is tucked away for aerodynamic benefits . The mounting bracket in the picture is an Active item , but there are other manufacturers making them . You can get a cast Brembo 84mm P2 caliper , cheaper than the billet P2 pictured .

He's left the stock arm on coz he hasn't found a carbon fibre arm yet :rolleyes:
Oh and the bike turns with the stock length arm :moon:
That's right my great Kiwi friend of infinite riders knowledge :super: , the wheelbase is even less with the 45 tooth sprocket , and turns well enough for toad :thumbsup: !! But you know that a custom swingarm that aint massively extended is almost impossible to find for Busa ... almost ....!!! I have my eye on one as it happens , it is a swingarm with , from standard wheelbase to + 40 mm over . so I keep the standard wheelbase , but have option of slightly longer to drag race if I ever want to ??? Made by Striker Japan , available in polished aluminum or cera coat black . Available for Gen 1 and 2 . Anyway , not sure if I would put it on this L2 or my next bike . :thumbsup:

I don’t know why I’m having so much trouble finding aftermarket underslung calipers for sale. If anyone has a link or knows the exact ones I should research, let me know. I’m usually pretty good at finding these things, but this one is giving me trouble.....

RoadToad, I see your thread last year about “Webike Japan for Hayabusa” and am researching it now. If anyone knows others, I’d love to hear.

RoadToad, I see your thread last year about “Webike Japan for Hayabusa” and am researching it now. If anyone knows others, I’d love to hear.
Hi Fredy , yes , in regards to webike , press up Hayabusa in drop down menu , go to brakes section and select brackets . A few choices , with the option to inquire about availability / stock and expected time to become available if not in stock . The 84mm caliper may be sourced for better price elsewhere , but decide on caliper brand and type and be prepared to search in own backyard USA , and Europe stores ca also be competitive $ wise .
Now Jake whitebird just posted something interesting about the standard caliper + underslung mount , so definitely check that out . Beringer also has 84mm spaced rear calipers I believe , possibly ISR also . The cast 84mm P2 Brembo should be the cheapest option . Power Barn has the caliper in my pic for sale , last time I looked if billet is desired . Good luck bro .

I was researching calipers a couple years ago and looks like that tiny Beringer will be a nice weightloss for the rear caliper. The logo can be ordered up/down according to installed position. Berringer has a lot of nice brake equipment so watch out for a new money pit openning up!

ISR will probably be the lightest front caliper if you can find out where to order them. ISRs look really cool with the exposed pistons. You might want to powder coat or anodize the plain finish. Two color piston/housing ISRs would look incredible.

Here's the kind of thing you're looking for in the rear caliper mount. Just be careful the holes of the bracket match the spacing of the caliper holes.

https://japan.webike.net/products/22826206.html

https://japan.webike.net/SUZUKI/GSX1300R+HAYABUSA/Brake+Caliper+Brackets/687/1019/mc/

No obviously braking advantage, besides opening up the view of the wheel and arm. Hardcore aluminum arm being built now, and I’m considering BST wheels so just all that space up top!!

Back