Tying down the Busa

HotRodRooster

Registered
I have an 08. I trailered it from SD to CO. I used tie down straps on the handle bars because that was the only place i could find to tie it down. When I got here, I took it out for a quick spin, the steering felt off. Could tying down the bike on its handle bars cause this?

Also by looking at a few pics on here, is there a better way to tie down this bike than the handle bars?

Could be the steering damper was cold, making it feel tight ? I strap all my bike down using the handel bars, just dont strap down to tight, as that will cause the seals in your forks to leak.

Could be the steering damper was cold, making it feel tight ? I strap all my bike down using the handel bars, just dont strap down to tight, as that will cause the seals in your forks to leak.

Rick, I always strap as tight as I can, but last trip someone else told me I'm going to blow my fork seals.

Do you know why, I thought the oil simply damps and flows from one chamber to another and how far the forks are compressed should not affect the seals?

I never strap on the bars, they will bend if you get it too tight.

Never collapse the suspension all the way. You have to leave some room for it to float.

Wheel chock in front to hold the tire straight, Pitt bull mount rear, all you need, added the two for peace of mind, they are just tight enough to take out the slack. Closed loop, no hooks on the straps.

IMG_0745.jpg

Cheap Pingle chock bolted to plywood.
Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

Use Canyon dancer bar strap. The front straps pull down forward and out. Don't compress suspension all the way. Fork seals are under no pressure at all.

Straps at rear pulling FORWARD, down and out, attached high as possible to bike.

Use a nice big ramp to ride her up and you are good to go!

Should be no damage to bike at all.

cheers
ken

What do people use to tie them down without a chock? Just another set on the front bars pulling back instead of forward? If say for instance it's a one time haul to a repair shop or w/e...

I use a canyon dancer and a condor wheel chock, works good.

I do not subscribe to anything that hooks to the handlebars.. wheel chock and a pair of straps to the passenger pegs for me..

I have about 4000 miles tied down like this without any hint of trouble.. (and no squashed hand controls)
DSC_0248.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure about the stress on the for seals. I had a Harley Fatboy that I shipped from Germany and it was strapped down pretty tight for about 8-10 weeks and when I took it out of the crate it was fine. No issue at all.

That said the Harley forks could be different I don't know.

Get a Canyon dancer strap they are about $20 .

Thats what I use on the back of my pickup, with two pull straps, use to be all I used, but I found if I hit twisties hard the back wheel slides a little. So I use a cable lock in the back, looped around the bottom of the back tire and my ramp. Means everything is securely locked as well.

I use a short aluminum ramp, and always have to find a little hill to load and offload the bike.

Finished a 3,800 mile trip AR, TX, AZ, back to AR two weeks ago, no problems, rode my truck as if it was stolen.

i hate my canyon dancer...have one that i have used twice and it messed my Throttlemeister up both times...i strap the front up inside the fairings to the cross piece between the front forks, just make sure the straps aren't going to rub on the fairings or front fender

IMG_2773 (Large).jpg

Cool, thanks for all the replies. It was on a motorcyle trailer with a front wheel chock. I would take a picture but the trailer is full of garbage from the move. I was really worried about strapping it down by the handle bars. The weather is getting pretty warm here so I will take it for another spin to see if everything is ok.
On another note, there was a little pool of water or something when i took the bike off. I couldn't see anything on the forks (signs of leakage) but there was a pool of something by my front tire. I figured if it was oil it wouldn't evaporate, but it did evaporate.

Question is, how can you tell if your forks aren't full of oil?

As you know these are pretty heavy bikes.

fyi - I've seen Heli bars bend badly.... Stock ones hold up better. Canyon dancers work but still contort the grips and depending on the strap angle can have bad juju on the plastic.

I recently bought a baxley used that I am very excited to use in combination with the canyon dancer and other soft ties to hold my plastic covered Suzuki's secure when transporting. I'm thinking the Baxley will handle roughly half of the load with the dancer a just under half and other points a little. Whole rig will be extremely secure!! WOHOO..

I just got a used 08..... Flew to ID and rode it home to IL (2,200 miles) - YES! My first fly and buy and it was awesome!

Last edited:
As others have posted, straps on the handlebars can bend the bars if you pull too tight. I like many others i use a chock with no straps pulling down the front suspension. Just two straps on the back pullinf forward out and down!:thumbsup:

post-6-50302-CIMG2992__Small_.jpg

Back