How to best tie down my Busa..

I'm going down to FL for a week with another person who has an Intruder 1500LC..

Anyways, we're going to truck them down in the back of a 2001 F-250 extended cab with a 6.5' bed. We did this before when I had my 2001 Katana 750, but now it's the Busa which has a much wider faring..

So instead of using the same tie downs that attach to the handle bars (our bars don't appear to have an area that is free from cables / wires anyways), how would you suggest I tie them down? The bikes will be side by side and need to tie down to the bed of the truck.. unless you suggest something else, but that's pretty much the only way these two long bikes will fit.

Let me know, thanks!

Is this some sorta wierd kinky fetish thing?:super:

Sorry man, I haven't had to transport mine yet so all I can offer is some smart as coments right now...

Where in Florida you going to be?

the happy face guy is right as usual....I just made my own thou...piece of soft material and some strapping used for making different things like knap sack straps an' such . I made my own 'cause I wanted it to fit like a dream , ACTUALLY my multi tallented "better-half" made it for me .
Am I a lucky guy or what .

Before my Busa I put my 1000 and a ZX12 in the back of my Tundra with straps off the back end and one strap through the front wheels with a homemade wheel choke for both bikes. No problems on a 500 mile trip.

zx_gixxer_in_truck_2.jpg

I have those tie downs from when I brought my Katana down last time.. I was just worried about chaffing <sp> the paint on the fenders..

I like the looks of your setup though blas32.. any chance you have a closeup of the front wheel setup? I'd love to see it..

I simply took a piece of ply wood and cut it to fit the bed.. then secured some custom wooden braces to hold the front wheels straight and attach the nylon 8's to.. :beerchug:

I just went out in the garage and put it in the back of my truck for a picture...the cobwebs show that I haven't used it in a while.  I put 1 bolt on each side through the stock holes in the bed of the Tundra to hold it secure.  Both wheels fit in the choke and a strap loops through each wheel and is pulled tight from the hooks on the side of the bed. I put a flip-up latch for the back straps, you can see it in the other picture.

double_wheel_choke.jpg

I just went out in the garage and put it in the back of my truck for a picture...the cobwebs show that I haven't used it in a while.  I put 1 bolt on each side through the stock holes in the bed of the Tundra to hold it secure.  Both wheels fit in the choke and a strap loops through each wheel and is pulled tight from the hooks on the side of the bed.  I put a flip-up latch for the back straps, you can see it in the other picture.
So I don't think I quite understand how the wheel is kept from turning and the bike is held down..

hmm, am I correct in my understanding of your ties..

1) Strap holding wheel to choke so it cannot hop up
2) Strap holding wheel to side fo bed (just to cause more tension on the choke?.. not really sure on this one)

Is that all?

Oh yeah.. to reply as to where in FL we'll be heading..

Not 100% sure yet.. planning on stopping by Myrtle Beach in SC either on our way down or on our way back up.. probably will stop in FL somewhere about 90 minutes from Daytona towards the Gulf Coast (hmm, too early and I can't remember the name of the town / city!)..

It'll hopefully be a good time.. last time I did this we got there about 2am (drove straight from Long Island) and that ended up being our **best** day for weather! :sad: We got up about 10am and went riding all day... then the rest of the week it was looking like rain daily. If the weather is good (which it looks kinda crappy, but my timing to do this is limited), I would see no problems in putting at least 1k miles on the Busa.. if not, then it's tough to say how many will get put on..

Put nice rags in between the straps and your fairings where they rub. They are pretty tight there and will hold a rag.

I use a canyon dancer, but also have some of the small black straps that just loop aroud your handle grips. They work like a charm too.

Put nice rags in between the straps and your fairings where they rub.  They are pretty tight there and will hold a rag.

I use a canyon dancer, but also have some of the small black straps that just loop aroud your handle grips.  They work like a charm too.
I don't see any straps coming from the handlebars on blas32's setup.. so that's what's kinda confusing me as to how he kept the wheel from turning..

The wheel chock kept the wheel from turning. Then he could strap it down anywhere he wanted.

Get a pile of straps and load your bike and get creative. I know you can get it in there.

I'm headed to a track day later this month and it looks like my best bet is to rent/steal a pickup truck. How did you get your 'Busa onto and off of the truck? It's mighty heavy to push, and reversing it off the ramp must be terrifying...

Put nice rags in between the straps and your fairings where they rub.  They are pretty tight there and will hold a rag.

I use a canyon dancer, but also have some of the small black straps that just loop aroud your handle grips.  They work like a charm too.
I don't see any straps coming from the handlebars on blas32's setup.. so that's what's kinda confusing me as to how he kept the wheel from turning..
I use 1 strap that runs from one tie down hook through the 2 front wheels and hooked to the other tie down.  The front wheels are wedged in the wheel choke and is held secure.  This way I don't need straps pulling down on the front suspension or putting pressure on my throttle.  The back is straped down on each side from the passanger pegs to the side truck tie down, and the center tie down I installed in the back center of the truck bed. This is the best way I found to haul 2 bikes in a truck bed.  I wish I had some better pictures, but I hope you can understand me.

Pay the $20 and get the Canyon Dancer tie down strap with the thick felt across the top. I've tied mine down about six or eight times with it and no problems.

Pay the $20 and get the Canyon Dancer tie down strap with the thick felt across the top.  I've tied mine down about six or eight times with it and no problems.
I have those.. so don't worry. I used those on my last trip with the Katana 750..

However, I would like to not compress my suspension like blas32 mentioned.. I fear though that just securing the front tire (however hard it may be), would allow leverage to still force the bike to slant from all the vibration on the road. :crazy:

The wheel wedges in-between the 2x4 and the 2x6 and is held down by the strap...it's not going anywhere!! And the back straps pull it down. I hit some very bad roads and had some quick starts and stops over 400 miles and both bikes never moved an inch.

Back