TURBO VS FAMILY

I'm not on his side OR your side. I'm on the side of good relationships. Also, I'm on the side of the kids.

I know guys who have succumbed to their wive's or girlfriend's demand that they stop riding motorcycles, "for the sake of the kids." These guys live pretty docile, uninspiring lives now. Oh, they get out and do other things but every time a bike goes by, they get this look in their eyes. One of them told me that every time he sees a bike go by, he resents his wife or g/f for allowing her to do that to him.

It's sad. Every time we talk about bikes, these guys get excited and animated and we can tell stories at length. The whole time, you see this fire in their eyes. In the past, I would say, "Why don't you get another bike?" and the fire goes out, they say, "She won't let me have one," and the conversation ends with that lost look in the eyes. I don't ask that question any more. It's too depressing.

Do you want to be responsible for taking away something he loves? Something that makes him what he is? Remember, you fell in love with him because of what he is and if you take away this minor thing which he loves, you're likely to end up with someone who is not who you initially fell in love with.

I know he already has a bike and you're not trying to take that away from him. I'm suggesting that if you succeed in taking the turbo away from him, then EVERY time he sees is own bike or the turbo in the box in the corner of the garage, he's going to resent you. Do you want that?

Granted, you shouldn't necessarily wuss out on everything any more than he should. There is, however, room for compromise, too. Not trade-offs. Compromise. I would advise you never to remove that turbo from his life but I would advise you to ask him to put together a term life insurance and a disability policy that will take care of the kids should the worst happen.

Also, I'm of the opinion that all household money belongs to you both, regardless of who makes it or who makes more of it or whatever. You have to have a budget, including a budget for stuff spent on entertainment (which includes the busa).

Last but not least, if you make him resent you, the kids will notice so it's not just about him and the kids, it's also about you and the kids. I agree with what others have said that you make a huge mistake if you bring the kids into it and use them to manipulate him. Your fears need to be kept under control and you should stay rational in spite of your fears.

I've never wanted a turbo because I don't see the point and it's a lot of work and if it isn't done exactly right, it can compromise the longevity of the motor. By the same token, I know plenty of other people who love 'em. It isn't about the speed you travel, though, it's about the feel of the power in the throttle. The gain in speed is VERY slight, and you have to do a ton of other things to get any real speed gains out of it. What he will get, as someone else described, is a way to get to his 150 mph faster than he already does. FWIW, if he's blasting along at 150 every time he rides, he's got a far greater problem than whether or not he's got a turbo on his busa.

Your concern is not how fast he gets there but that he's going fast.

I hope you two figure this out.

Let us know how it goes.

--Wag--

The turbo or the money is not the real issue. You are a controlling person and should rethink your core persona. If two people really love each other they do not pull crap like this on each other. Using children to make a point is also very wrong. Do you really think your helping your relationship by trying to manipulate him??? Unless he is a total wuss he will eventually roll on you and find someone else that doesn't act this way. Healty love does not threaten or control another person!!!

I say watch a little more Family Guy... They go through situations like this all the time and learn to still love each other
lol1.gif

I didn't exactly read every post but this is what I see in it. To keep it simple, it seems like he has a little bit of a greed issue. Also, you worry that the kids will never see him again God forbid something happens, but at the same time your willing to leave him and take the kids with you
rock.gif
. Take the time to work it out. Its not worth the separation in my opinion.
thumb_up.gif
Hope you guys can work it out
winkold.gif

ultimatums are immature.  Im sorry if i  was him you would go based soley on you makng an idle threat like that. Communication is key in family things.
I agree.  

If you force someone in the corner you may not get the answer you want.  You need to look at the money together and reason when you may or may not be able to do this.  Then also weigh all of the other things he does.  Drinking, boating, sailing etc.  He needs to bend also you can't do everything especially if it is economics.  You may even want to add the Busa will save lots of money on gas but not if it is turbo'd..  REASON REASON from both of you ultimatum NO

Should send turbo to me so i can have my wife and 4 kids install it on my bike...
cool.gif

ok,,,now im just dreaming...

you dont want a turbo on a busa. just use high test and moth balls in your tank. i used moth balls and jet fuel once and i got more power than turbo. the exhaust pipe was hot red after that. take my advice. i know this stuff good.

Tape a picture of the kids under the speedometer, on his bike. If that don't slow him down....nothing will !!

Some people just like knowing they have an amazing machine, set up to perfection. But if he's hitting 150 mph. everytime I'd say he's not one, lol.

And how long has he had the turbo ??
That's a great idea I might try that!! LOL

Turbo has been around longer then I have known about it

Tape a picture of the kids under the speedometer, on his bike. If that don't slow him down....nothing will !!

Some people just like knowing they have an amazing machine, set up to perfection. But if he's hitting 150 mph. everytime I'd say he's not one, lol.

And how long has he had the turbo ??
That's a great idea I might try that!! LOL

Turbo has been around longer then I have known about it

the bike is just as dangerous with or without the turbo.
It is not going to matter regardless if you are a man with a Busa responding you are going to
be all for the turbo.  Having the Busa is dangerous enough especially with the speeding issues he already has!!!!

Not true, coming from a man that has been married for 31 years. I will also add that my wife is not just a push over to agree with everything I want. We have had many many discussions, including sky diviing, boat racing, land speed racing, adn scooter riding (which is the most dagerous.

Wrong to put an ultimatum

Wrong to just buy if money is an issue

Now it is time to work it out if you each care for each other.  You can not always worry about life & death.  If it is not the bike it could be sky diving,  boat racing, drag racing etc.

ACCIDENT & DEATH INSURANCE

lets drop this silly subject. what about the kids? think about the kids!!! i make sure my 1 year old always rides on my busa with me. i made a seat for her on the handle bars. she makes a nice windscreen too!!!!

It's not always about the speed when owning a turbo bike. The sound, the power delivery, the look are all a total package that's neat to have and experience. I have a turbo Busa myself and only once in a while do I go over 120mph.

Communicate and try to meet in the middle. That's what being together is about.

ACCIDENT & DEATH INSURANCE

Couldn't agree more... Life insurance should be owned by everyone who has a family regardless whether or not they ride motorcycles.

As far as the money goes, well I believe a family should discuss things before buying something. I also don't agree with with ultimatums. Every relationship is about give & take, compromising. Understanding that just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean the other person has to conform to your beliefs. He has the turbo on this bike already, what can be done? Not much of anything. Only thing I would suggest is figure out why he didn't tell you he got it done in the first place. I bet I already know why he didn't tell you...You need to work on your communication skills with your husband. Make him feel like he can tell you ANYTHING without you being so angry. If bills are being paid, kids are taken care of, & there is money left over, what is the problem with having things you enjoy?

you dont want a turbo on a busa. just use high test and moth balls in your tank. i used moth balls and jet fuel once and i got more power than turbo. the exhaust pipe was hot red after that. take my advice. i know this stuff good.
didnt we visit this once before?
rofl.gif

what happened to the jet fuel? Last I checked, a Busa wont run on kerosene...

mothballs are only good for sexing a moth...
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

Back