Turbo setup question

proelky

Registered
I just purchased my bike, and want to plan a turbo build. I have a friend telling me to run a 1400 kit instead. He said too much $$ is involved. Can any of you guys give some insight as to what I need to research for a turbo setup. The bike is used to cruise/commute. It's currently dropped/stretched with a few mods

Thanks!

Gen 1 or 2? Well your in the right section. There are tons of reads to be done on which turbo, and how much. I would say the consensious is going to tell you the RCC is worth its weight in gold. I am saving for one! So like 40 years from now I will get one. I would say the cost for the two would be a little cheaper for the stroker, but not much. Just more on personal preference.

Gen 1 or 2? Well your in the right section. There are tons of reads to be done on which turbo, and how much. I would say the consensious is going to tell you the RCC is worth its weight in gold. I am saving for one! So like 40 years from now I will get one. I would say the cost for the two would be a little cheaper for the stroker, but not much. Just more on personal preference.

Dont listen to this idiot. he has never seen a turbo.:moon:

:lol:

I think one of the most important questions is if there is a good turbo tuner in your area? A bad tune will most likely make your intro to turbo bikes not pleasent. Its all about the tune.

What hp are you looking at riding your cruise/commute bike at?

It's a Gen I, and I always want more than I'll ever need. I personally think 6-7psi would be plenty. As far as tuners go, I think the closest one is in San Angelo, TX. 3hrs away. What is necessary to upgrade on the bike? (clutch, etc)

Is anything needed other than the Stage I kit? I can do the work, but I don't have a dyno or tuning software. Thanks again for the guidance!

I would say read the boards. And then read them again. I pulled the trigger this year but that was after a lot of research by reading threads. It was my first turbo and I installed it myself. I like working on vehicles and the turbo install didn't require any special tools. Doing it yourself will gain you the knowledge so if something goes wrong you'll have an idea of what to look for.

I sent my injectors out to test the spray as purchased a Stage I. I also checked my valve clearances and mine were in spec. Maybe an overkill as I haven't heard of anyone having problems but I already throttle bodies off so it was easy to get to.

Go with RCC for sure. A stock engined stage 1 gen 1 will be good for mid to upper 200's in hp. If tuned correctly you'll never notice the turbo until you want to. Keep it low boost and you can run pump gas. If you have a gen 1 you may want to get a second fan if you plan to commute in traffic. It's an easy mod and you can find info on this site about the install. If you get a used kit you'll shoot yourself in the foot. If you get a kit from a sketchy or unproven seller you'll be taking a major chance. I bought a used bike in pieces with a very used Mr.Turbo kit and ended up spending a fortune in time and money only to end up with an entirely new kit bought almost one piece at a time.
The gen 1's return line can be a ***** to get routed such that it doesn't kink, but done correctly it will be fine forever (you can get help on-line with that too). If you go with RCC your stage 1 kit comes with fool proof instructions with pictures and their stage 1 kit is upgradeable to 420hp with additional injectors. If you want to get into the 300+ hp range you'd want to run a spacer plate, rods, and clutch springs. When you get your kit installed take it to a good tuner. Ask the tuner how they set up turbo bikes as opposed to n/a bikes. If they say there's no difference then find a different tuner. I'm constantly surprised with how many "good" tuners won't admit they don't know turbos. There are threads on turbo dyno'ing and I know from recent and personal experience that Richard (RCC) will help your tuner on the phone so no melting will occur. There is NO REASON a bike should melt on the dyno, so don't freak out about the hype.
You can also run a wide band a/f monitor (power commander/wego/etc) which will allow you to monitor and log you a/f. Some people tune with these but I've never been able to imagine full throttle pulls on public roads(yikes). If you chose to run a wide band they'll cost you about 300.00 and you'll want to decide before you order your kit as they need an O2 bung welded n the dump pipe.
Your stock chain and clutch will be ok with 250'ish' hp. 250 hp will be very exciting, for awhile, then you'll want 300, which will be exciting for awhile, then you'll want 350, which will be exciting for awhile...etc.
I stopped at 300 (my last bike) and I can tell you that full throttle in third at 70mph meant tire that before you could even let off the throttle the back wheel would spin AND the bike would wheely at the same. Don't be fooled by claims of Nitrous, it's just not the same. Good luck.

Last edited:
Go with RCC for sure. A stock engined stage 1 gen 1 will be good for mid to upper 200's in hp. If tuned correctly you'll never notice the turbo until you want to. Keep it low boost and you can run pump gas. If you have a gen 1 you may want to get a second fan if you plan to commute in traffic. It's an easy mod and you can find info on this site about the install. If you get a used kit you'll shoot yourself in the foot. If you get a kit from a sketchy or unproven seller you'll be taking a major chance. I bought a used bike in pieces with a very used Mr.Turbo kit and ended up spending a fortune in time and money only to end up with an entirely new kit bought almost one piece at a time.
The gen 1's return line can be a ***** to get routed such that it doesn't kink, but done correctly it will be fine forever (you can get help on-line with that too). If you go with RCC your stage 1 kit comes with fool proof instructions with pictures and their stage 1 kit is upgradeable to 420hp with additional injectors. If you want to get into the 300+ hp range you'd want to run a spacer plate, rods, and clutch springs. When you get your kit installed take it to a good tuner. Ask the tuner how they set up turbo bikes as opposed to n/a bikes. If they say there's no difference then find a different tuner. I'm constantly surprised with how many "good" tuners won't admit they don't know turbos. There are threads on turbo dyno'ing and I know from recent and personal experience that Richard (RCC) will help your tuner on the phone so no melting will occur. There is NO REASON a bike should melt on the dyno, so don't freak out about the hype.
You can also run a wide band a/f monitor (power commander/wego/etc) which will allow you to monitor and log you a/f. Some people tune with these but I've never been able to imagine full throttle pulls on public roads(yikes). If you chose to run a wide band they'll cost you about 300.00 and you'll want to decide before you order your kit as they need an O2 bung welded n the dump pipe.
Your stock chain and clutch will be ok with 250'ish' hp. 250 hp will be very exciting, for awhile, then you'll want 300, which will be exciting for awhile, then you'll want 350, which will be exciting for awhile...etc.
I stopped at 300 (my last bike) and I can tell you that full throttle in third at 70mph meant tire that before you could even let off the throttle the back wheel would spin AND the bike would wheely at the same. Don't be fooled by claims of Nitrous, it's just not the same. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help! I'm sure that I won't stop at 250hp, but I have to start somewhere! I sold a 9sec, two-staged 408ci 98 camaro to start playing with bikes.

Back