Custom turbo kit?

SxLxAxVxExN

Registered
So I dropped my bike off today for some work.
A local shop will make me a turbo setup.
things being done: Turbo manifold, intake manifold, charge piping, exhaust dump, with tial external wastegate, tial blow off valve.

This is what I need help with:
What size turbo ( external gate) would be a good size? (230-300 hp)
What should be done for fuel? Do I need a FMU or bigger injectors? I HAVE A PC3.
Whats safe on stock motor boost wise?

please try to help me out as much as possible. Pictures of close up turbo setups would be great as well. Once this setup is done it will be released to the public since the guy is a professional welder and owns a shop for custom turbo kits and other stainless steel fabrications.
Thanks for all the help

Ok since nobody wants to help i'd like to ask a question or two.

Whats the best FMU to go with?, inline fuel pump? what size please?
What spark plugs to go with once the kit is finished?

Can anyone answer any of these questions?

not sure on much, I'm into Syclones a bit, Garrets website has a EXCELLENT page on selecting the proper turbo, might want to Google over that way and take a gander at it. Turbine/housing is more important than compressor selection, it'll determine when and how fast the turbo will spool, as well as your back pressure. Also when setting up a turbo cam, even on the best engineered turbo setups, exhaust back pressure is usually 2x that of the intake pressure, keep that in mind when selecting cams. Means NO to NEGATIVE overlap to avoid contaminating the intake charge with exhaust.
beerchug.gif

For 300hp or less, get a Garrett T3 or Mitsubishi 16g turbo, external wastegate, BEGI FMU, S2000 fuel injectors(if you are going over 275hp, otherwise use stock injectors). If you are running stock compression, stick to 6lbs of boost unless you are getting an intercooler. If you are lowering the compression, you can run 8-9lbs of boost on pump gas. Ofcourse a custom map is needed for any of the above.

it's not worth the time/money or effort to have a custom turbo kit made. you're much better off just picking a kit from Velocity or RCC. They've been tested and proven succesful setups.

but, to answer your questions...
What size turbo ( external gate) would be a good size? depends at what rpm you want it to reach full boost and when you want it to start building boost and how fast you want it to get to full boost.
What should be done for fuel? depends on the application and boost level and how the engine is spec'd
Do I need a FMU or bigger injectors? yes, you'll need something to adjust the amount of fuel for on/off boost. Bigger injectors wont solve this.
Whats safe on stock motor boost wise? on a stock low mileage street busa running regular pump gas with no charge temp reducer I would say 6lbs of boost
Whats the best FMU to go with? the best isn't needed for a street/low boost setup. Must go with a mechanical rissing rate fuel regulator.
Whats the best inline fuel pump? the best isn't needed for a street/low boost setup. Most just go with a high pressure inline pump there are more than a few to choose from. Popular is Bosch and Walbro (sp)
what size please? depends which pump you get but you want one that has a low amp draw while still able to pump good volume at high pressures.
What spark plugs to go with once the kit is finished? depends low boost street setup whill live just fine with the OE sparkplugs. Just close the gap a little. higher boost levels tend to like a colder plug but again less gap.

Having a turbo system custom built isn't something I would consider throwing to some one who hasn't done it. I'm just saying this to look out for a fellow rider  
beerchug.gif

I understand what you mean.. but I trust his work since he did lots of work on my car and the guy does it for a living. This will be his first motorcycle turbo kit. But as I said I trust him and I know his work. I will post pictures once its done so you can see the quality for yourself.

no matter what else you do order your fmu from rcc turbos. he has not had any problems at all with his fmu's. very important to get a quality fmu and thats the best there is out there
thumb_up.gif

Yeah Of course his work won't compare to velocity or RCC or the other companies. All I'm sayin is that his work is amazing.. but please check out his work and judge for yourself.

And again thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Another question

Should the oil cooler stay or go? I see some kits have oil cooler block off plates with their kit.. so Im not sure.
And any suggestions on what should be done for gearing? Or should I just leave it alone?

thanks

if you remove the oil cooler (which is fine done it myself with no problems along with many others)
remember to remove the restrictor that is behind the oil filter

Back