Mitsubishi 16g

mestona

Registered
I would like to fab my own turbo kit using a Mitsubishi 16g, a few questions first:

1. It says water and oil cooled, will this turbo live long with the water passage blocked off (oil cooling only)?

2. I am looking to do a 4psi setup on my gen 2 (stock valves), will I need an external waste gate to prevent boost creep?

3. Can one of these with an internal waste gate be modified to external, or would this be cost prohibitive?

If this pans out I will be sure to reward your help by posting lots of pics as I have some ideas for custom fabrication that should make for a pretty cool install. :laugh:

1. It with be fine with no coolant lines hooked up.

2. External wastegates are much better then internals

3. You can modify a 16g for an external, and should, those turbos stock are known to boost creep.

Why you want to do a 16g? There's plenty other turbo that are much better for bikes.

$$$ is the only motivator, and it is commonly used in turbo kits like the "Ghetto Busa" turbo. If you know of a better unit (and I'm only looking for stage 1- 4 psi nothing higher) please do let me know. I am good with a welder (TIG) and I can get a 16g for less than $200 shipped brand new...

ETA: as far as the welding comment, I can fab my own header and plenum, along with an air to water intercooler in said plenum made from a dirt bike radiator so no need to buy a $4k+ kit...

Last edited:
My only question would be with the gen 2 ti valves, you're pretty limited on boost levels, like you said 4 psi max. Thats going to get old for you VERY quickly I think......you're most likely going to want more boost almost immediately. Thats alot of fab work (intercooler and all) for 4lbs or less of boost. I started out with 8 psi (still running it) on my 14 bone stock and could never have done less. Put in some SS valves and stronger springs so you can run 8 psi or so of boost with your intercooler set-up and you'll be MUCH happier :laugh: And maybe even add a spacer plate to lower the comp a little and run 10-12 and have some REAL fun while still being safe on the stock engine parts :beerchug:
Or you could get a gen1 and run 8-10 on the stock motor with some timing pulled and an intercooler all day long.

I don't want to lower my compression as I don't want to lose my low end torque or street drivability. I am looking for ball park 230hp and I want to inter-cool it to make it sustainable for top speed runs without heat soak. I am looking to take this bike to El Mirage after the turbo setup is running. Later on I would like to give it the carpenter racing head porting and a set of turbo specific web cams. I still want to keep my compression for drivability so higher boost is a no-go for me.

16g is 300 +hp capable and nice early on boost for a good street ride , you will be better off converting it to external wastegate , they boost creep with the internal
dirtbike radiator wll be too small(thin) to be an effective intercooler , find a thicker core or slab a couple together , but at 4 psi your not going to need an intercooler , your inlet temps will barely change
probably better from an inlet temp $$$ and hp view to convert to e85 , and run 6-8 or so psi , the ethanol content should help keep the cyl temps in check allowing the Ti valves to cope with the higher boost
but better springs like gen 1 will be needed
Elmo is a lot of fun GL with the build

Thanks OZ, I haven't figured out how much dirt bike radiator core I can stuff in the plenum, but it will be as much as will fit :rulez: The thought of e85 had crossed my mind, but where I live it is near non-exsistant, and as I use the bike as a daily driver/gas saver the availability of fuel is rather important.

I don't want to lower my compression as I don't want to lose my low end torque or street drivability. I am looking for ball park 230hp and I want to inter-cool it to make it sustainable for top speed runs without heat soak. I am looking to take this bike to El Mirage after the turbo setup is running. Later on I would like to give it the carpenter racing head porting and a set of turbo specific web cams. I still want to keep my compression for drivability so higher boost is a no-go for me.
If you have the ability to be happy with 4 or less lbs of boost I congratulate you, you have more self-control than me :laugh:

Back