Hahn Race Craft Turbo Kit

scrappy

Registered
I am wondering if any one has used Hahn RaceCraft's Turbo kits.

I purchased one along with their port fueler and i am needing some assistance. HRC is moving to Florida, and they wont be answering their phones for a while... sucks for me i guess.

Here is a link to my current build.

James Randall's Photos - Turbo Bike Setup | Facebook

(you dont need an account to view the build photo's its a public album).

I had their stage 1 kit. It came with a mild steel header that cracked twice in 1 year and some mismatched bolts. After a few trips to the parts store it made 239hp on 7.2 psi on the dyno. They suck when it comes to tech assistance. I'll never buy HRC again.

kit looks good, got some serious hardware, what kind of boost will you be running? 250mph you'll need to dump the stage one plenum or modify it and add secondary injectors, in turn you will need water injection or intercooler, which you can do later with that kit, what size turbo is it? 20g? External gate is nice. once you get all the engine internals in you can definately turn up the boost. Just need secondaries and intercooler, good luck, do a lot of research on the busa forums, not just here, some good info on suzukihayabusa dot org for turbo, definately in the right direction for some big power with that kit, look into extending the swingarm as well to keep the front down.

kit looks good, got some serious hardware, what kind of boost will you be running? 250mph you'll need to dump the stage one plenum or modify it and add secondary injectors, in turn you will need water injection or intercooler, which you can do later with that kit, what size turbo is it? 20g? External gate is nice. once you get all the engine internals in you can definately turn up the boost. Just need secondaries and intercooler, good luck, do a lot of research on the busa forums, not just here, some good info on suzukihayabusa dot org for turbo, definately in the right direction for some big power with that kit, look into extending the swingarm as well to keep the front down.

The Portfueler is a secondary fuel system that is powered by a Split Second box, which happens to be a POS. Nonetheless, some people are running this system with "no problems". There are two Super 20s supplied by Hahn - the first one will make 350 rwhp, the second, the "shootout" turbo, is capable of very close to 450. The external gate with the Mitsubishi is a good setup, and you will find that your turbo spools up quickly . . . all the super series turbos do. Overall, it is a good kit, although there are weaknesses, like the mild steel header, which has a tendency to crack. That is why POWERHOUSE makes a replacement, stainless steel header that has a one-piece port flange and is guaranteed for two years against any cracks or defects. Although I would not use JE pistons, other than that, you have good components, and should have a good result with a proper tune:thumbsup:

The Portfueler is a secondary fuel system that is powered by a Split Second box, which happens to be a POS. Nonetheless, some people are running this system with "no problems". There are two Super 20s supplied by Hahn - the first one will make 350 rwhp, the second, the "shootout" turbo, is capable of very close to 450. The external gate with the Mitsubishi is a good setup, and you will find that your turbo spools up quickly . . . all the super series turbos do. Overall, it is a good kit, although there are weaknesses, like the mild steel header, which has a tendency to crack. That is why POWERHOUSE makes a replacement, stainless steel header that has a one-piece port flange and is guaranteed for two years against any cracks or defects. Although I would not use JE pistons, other than that, you have good components, and should have a good result with a proper tune:thumbsup:

I am running the Shootout system, i am trying to reach 450 RWHP or more. I am looking into intercoolers, and yes i a new swing arm will be installed (can't decide which arm i need) along with more mods (ohlins shock, and fork modification when the time comes, and some other mods.) Why do you say to stay away from the JE pistons, i have heard good things from their company and since i have very little experience with building forced induced engines, i am now concerned.

Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
pictures are worth a thousand words . . .:rofl:

JECRACKED1.JPG

JECRACKED2.JPG

JECRACKED3.JPG

JECRACKED4.JPG

The piston in the pictures above, when it cracked, had it recieved any weight reduction drilling on the piston or any modification whatsoever?

Last edited:
The piston in the pictures above, when it cracked, had it recieved any weight reduction drilling on the piston or any modification whatsoever?

Those pistons are off the shelf JE turbo pistons with no modification. In fact, I happen to have more than six sets of JEs that were in various setups at various boost levels, and they all cracked in the same place - on the wrist pin boss, intake side. One bike had a Motec standalone, one a Magna Marelli, another was a Stage One with FMU, another a Stage Two. All the bikes had different tuners, one was making less than 300 hp. Do yourself a favor and put Wossners in your motor . . .:whistle:

Those pistons are off the shelf JE turbo pistons with no modification. In fact, I happen to have more than six sets of JEs that were in various setups at various boost levels, and they all cracked in the same place - on the wrist pin boss, intake side. One bike had a Motec standalone, one a Magna Marelli, another was a Stage One with FMU, another a Stage Two. All the bikes had different tuners, one was making less than 300 hp. Do yourself a favor and put Wossners in your motor . . .:whistle:

you know its so damn crazy, because i was going to put wossners on their but i had a friend who told me to stay away from wossners. well, i am running stock bore/stroke, any suggestions on the wossners i could use?

Stock bore Wossner turbo pistons, $550/set, shipped from POWERHOUSE.
These pistons are balanced, come with .180" wall wrist pins, have all edges chamfered, and come with a moly coating on the piston skirts. They are much better made than any Junk Engineering (JE) piston . . .:laugh:

i would love to pick some up and give them a try, but i just the spent the cash i had on these JE's, who made the wrist pins, will they also fit Carrillo H Rods?

yes . . .:laugh:

My bad, i had run on sentences. I meant to ask if they were APE wrist pins. What size pins they (Wossner) needs because i have APE pins that are sized up for the JE pistons from when i bought the rods and pistson as a set....I wonder if JE and Wossner have any length differences? Im gonna go check out APE's sight...

Last edited:
Stock bore Wossner turbo pistons, $550/set, shipped from POWERHOUSE.
These pistons are balanced, come with .180" wall wrist pins, have all edges chamfered, and come with a moly coating on the piston skirts. They are much better made than any Junk Engineering (JE) piston . . .:laugh:

You forgot to mention that they are also gas ported, and for those interested, the pistons in the pics are out of my bike, JE shelf turbo pistons. But this is not the only case, many Prostreet racers and land speed racers could show basically the same pictures of their JE pistons,

Richard

you know its so damn crazy, because i was going to put wossners on their but i had a friend who told me to stay away from wossners. well, i am running stock bore/stroke, any suggestions on the wossners i could use?

Did your friend have a reason to stay away from the Wossners? I am curious becuase I have yet to hear anything negative about Wossner products and some of the fastest busas out there are running Wossners now,

Richard

Did your friend have a reason to stay away from the Wossners? I am curious becuase I have yet to hear anything negative about Wossner products and some of the fastest busas out there are running Wossners now,

Richard

i have never used them, in fact, never used JE before. This is my first turbo build on a bike... first turbo build period... He told me to stay away from the Wossners because of the higher compression, which to me makes a little sense because i need a lower compression piston to achieve a higher boost.. at least that is how i understand it..
If i were to go all motor, a higher compression piston would be my choice of preference. Since i am building a high boost bike i opted for the JE since the design of the piston provides lower compression.

Last edited:
i have never used them, in fact, never used JE before. This is my first turbo build on a bike... first turbo build period... He told me to stay away from the Wossners because of the higher compression, which to me makes a little sense because i need a lower compression piston to achieve a higher boost.. at least that is how i understand it..
If i were to go all motor, a higher compression piston would be my choice of preference. Since i am building a high boost bike i opted for the JE since the design of the piston provides lower compression.

Wossner turbo pistons are 9:1 when used with an .080" spacer plate - IMHO they are perfect. JE pistons started cracking when they started using Wiseco to make their blanks. CP has good pistons, but the oil ring land intrudes on the wrist pin bore, which I think is a poor design. MTC will be more than happy to take a 13.5:1 piston and machine it down to 10:1, and call it a turbo piston . . . Arias will be happy to make a turbo piston if you design it for them . . . no, as far as Hayabusa turbo pistons go, Wossner makes the BEST off the shelf piston you can buy, IMO.

Rich, thanks for reminding me about the gas porting, and for the nice pictures. I still have several sets of used JEs I keep around when I need a good laugh - I call it my "box of crackers".:rofl:

Back