Hahn Stage 1 Kit and Oil FIlters

nhgunnut

Registered
I am using a Stage 1 Hahn Kit with the port fueler on a 05 Busa. The only issue I have is that I have to drop the turbo to swap the Oil Filter. I called to Hahn and the suggested a "shorter filter"￾ this suggest less oil volume and is a place I am not sure I want to go. Has anyone else solved this problem? Is anyone aware of a oil filter relocation Kit?

i use the Frame oil filter, it's allot smaller than the normal one, fits allot better with my big turbo, but I think I still have to drop my dumps off.
lurk.gif

What do you think of the Hahnsetup? A budy had one of his blackbirds a few (many actually years ago), was very happy with it.

I have had the Hahn set up for 2 years. I am not a racer so my opinions reflect that.. I like it a lot. I use my busa as my primary commuter . It is well mannered and easy to use in traffic. I have never had any heat problems and for a "1 box setup"￾ I have no complaints. That said if I were doing it again I think I might look for a setup that used an external waste gate. I have to confess , I Went Turbo because at the time I weighed 360 lbs and wanted the same acceleration ass the 150 lbs guys that designed the bike. I have since lost 130 lbs so it is a hole other machine to me.

I am new to the bikes, but in my car days we would weld the flapper valve on the internal wastegate and install an after market waste gate for better control. Those here would know better than I if this works as well on the bikes, but I imagine it would. Good job on the 130, I aint small myself and the weight is so much more noticeable on the bikes.

You cannot weld the flapper valve on internal gates (at least not on any of the Mitsubishi turbos like the Super 16, or Super 20). This is because the passage that the flapper covers (when it is closed) is the path through the turbine housing in which exhaust must flow in order to "gate" the turbo. Instead, the flapper is removed and piping is added into the body of the housing; this piping goes to the outside of the turbo where the external gate is added. I had this modification done to my Hahn several years ago by Powerhouse motorcycles in New York. After this, I added a gear based boost controller.

www.powerhousemc.com

ex_tial_port.jpg

There is enough room on the Hahn kit to loosen the filter with the lastic on and not drop the Turbo. Loosen and then the filter will come out the of back towards the rear.

I found it much easier to take a dremmel tool and cut the flapper out. While i was working in there i removed material on the exhaust deck to improve flow.We machined out the 'plugged 'area on the turbo and welded in the mount for the wastegate. I am on my second Hahn header and i dont understand the oil filter issue. I have always used the oem filter.

View attachment 1249797

Ron was that you on anotherpost saying you were pushing 600 hp? In that case a non sarcastic
bowdown.gif
is owed to you!

Ron was that you on anotherpost saying you were pushing 600 hp?  In that case a non sarcastic  
bowdown.gif
is owed to you!
Yes, thats me, but it obviously was not with the Hahn kit I had with the external gate mod - that setup was only pushing 375 RWMP @ 18# boost with a Super 20 shootout turbo, ported head, stock cams, Stage II fuel rail, and larger intake and exhaust valves . . . also a super-streetable every-day back and forth to work bike  -

My new 600 HP setup is a modified RCC Ultra kit - and although I can run it around all day on pump gas (93 octane) with NO TIMING PULLED at 20# boost, thats only worth a little over 400 RWHP. . . if I want to go above 20# boost, I have to use C16, still with no timing removed . . . 30# boost puts the RWHP over 500, and 40# will net me 600, which is just silly on the street . . . yes, props go to RCC
bowdown.gif
- Richard has the best off the shelf kits you can buy- but also to Powerhouse Motorcycles in New York, who built the entire motor, ported the head, and tuned the bike . . .

As I said in a prior post, I've been riding turbo street bikes since 1978- why? - because I love the fact that every time I ride it fast it still scares the sh*t out of me -everything else is pretty dull in comparison
all_coholic.gif

bowdown.gif

firedevil.gif
I had no idea turbos were so readily available for the busa. I just bought an 05 from a guy who got an 08. Haven't owned a bike since i sold my gsxr1100 wc in 2002. I have owned some fast turbo cars, but never liked the idea of carbs and turbos, a lot of work to get it right. It seems that with the FI being stock it is a reasonable process now. Beinning to be tempted.....have the $$ (I think:)), but would want a lot more seat time to sharpen my riding skills before trying something like this. I geuss for now I am a LURKER....might be a good project for next winter though.....

Back