anyone with a hahn stage 1 kit ?

gm1300

Registered
i am thinking about putting a hahn stage one turbo on a 05 busa

i wanted to get some feedback on hahn's stage one kit

im planning on setting it up with the muffler it comes with (not a dump pipe) and i am looking for around 240hp to the wheel

anyone with a hahn turbo that could give me some feedback would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

gary

as mentioned in your other post...do your research on the boards. You will find the Ghetto kit to be better way to go...more reliable, better support, eassily upgradeable, less expensive even with full pipe.

If you should choose to go with the Hahn 240hp to 260hp with can or cans would be about correct. If you leave it that way it will be a great system, as well as other systems out there. If you are going to increase the systems they will need more work.

Ninja Eater , i will be more than happy with the 240 hp , i want to run the stock swingarm so i think 240 will be more than enough .

i see you are running the stock swingarm even with much more horsepower . when i am ready to order the kit (hopefully in a few weeks) i may PM you and pick your brain a little if thats ok

there are a few things i need to figure out like gearing for one

thanks for the help thus far

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112194278 -->

I have owned Hahn, Mr.turbo, Velocity and Mcxpress kits.

I highly urge you to stay away from the hahn, Mr. Turbo and Velocity stage 1 kits. Allot better kits out there for the same or close to the same cash.

ghetto kit is pretty much as good as you get for an entry level kit. The external gate supplied puts it on levels of quality of much higher dollar kits.

BUT.......

I urge you to research and buy once! The biggest and worst thing people do is buy too small and hafta buy twice.

Search for Doc Busa posts... He had a hahn turbo and it blew up three times in one year... I am betting it was a configuration issue, but nevertheless, I agree... Ghetto would be a better pick.

After you do a thorough research on what kit you want. Do the same when choosing a turner. Hopefully you can find bike mechanic locally that has experience installing and tunning turbo's for bikes, better yet a Busa.  

Heres Doc's Busa final report on his Hahn Turbo.
Doc_Busa
Hayabusa Legend

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, it has been a fun 3 years since I first signed up here!  I made some great friends and had some wonderful times (both in person and in cyberspace).  However, the past 6 months have been tough on me, Busa wise.  The downward spiral began when I bought the TurboBusa over 1 year ago, it was really a sad time when I sold my 2001 Busa, which was so reliable...

The TurboBusa just killed me.  It blew up three times during the past year, and I had $24,000 invested in the bike when it exploded in December of 2004.  This was the last straw for me.  I sold the skeleton and remaining bits last night.  I also sold my track bikes and her SV650...

We are buying a new home, which is much larger and on a great piece of land.  I will now have a seven+ car garage and shop vs. the 2 car cramped space I have now.  However, this comes with a high-price.  I am giving up the sport bikes with sky high insurance, cop magnets, etc.  I just don't have self-control on these machines.  For now, I am sticking with my dual-sports.  

It would be great to see you guys in Vegas, or maybe even meet up somewhere along the way.  I will probably drop by for a lurk once and a while.  Who knows, maybe I will get another Busa one of these days, but now, I am slowing down and trying to pay down the new home expenses.

One word of advice, NEVER GET A TURBO BUSA!  I don't care what the experts and turbo lovers say, if you want a reliable fun ride, do NOT go Turbo.  

Anyway, PM and/or email me if you are coming to Vegas.  I will still be riding, but I top out around 120 mph now...

Best Regards,

Doc
[/QUOTE]

Good luck

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112228430 -->

i just did some research on doc_busa's bike . it seems the problem was he had it set up all wrong

here is a quote from one of his post's
----------------------------------------
The entire problem is a function of the turbo that comes with the Hahn and poor communication from the builder.  Hahn's turbo has an internal wastegate that malfunctions when the backpressure is removed (i.e., a dump pipe) and the result is overboost (Boost creep).  
-------------------------------------------------------

also he bought it used so who knows how the previous owner treated it or who worked on it

plus he was having problems finding a good tuner , maybe it wasnt tuned properly ?

seems like it was just set up all wrong

he was also running 280+ hp and i am only looking to run 240 hp

thanks for the input and i will keep researching

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112241160 -->

hey suzuki4life you said

I urge you to research and buy once! The biggest and worst thing people do is buy too small and hafta buy twice[/QUOTE]

when you say "too small" did you mean it literally

what i am saying is do you mean the physical size of the turbo may be too small ?

if so i am guessing you think i will get used to the 240 hp and then look to bump it up to more hp

if so thats not the case with me . i only plan on setting up the bike extremly mild as far as turbo busa's go

240 rwhp is all i am looking for . i want to run the stock exhaust (no dump pipe) so it has the stealth look and sound

and i want to run the stock swingarm (i like riding in the twisties) so too much hp wont be good for me due to the fact i will be running the stock swingarm

keep the input coming

thanks in advance

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112242099 -->

hey suzuki4life you said

I urge you to research and buy once! The biggest and worst thing people do is buy too small and hafta buy twice

what i am saying is do you mean the physical size of the turbo may be too small ?

if so i am guessing you think i will get used to the 240 hp and then look to bump it up to more hp

if so thats not the case with me . i only plan on setting up the bike extremly mild as far as turbo busa's go

240 rwhp is all i am looking for . i want to run the stock exhaust (no dump pipe) so it has the stealth look and sound

and i want to run the stock swingarm (i like riding in the twisties) so too much hp wont be good for me due to the fact i will be running the stock swingarm

keep the input coming

thanks in advance

.[/QUOTE]
my hahn kit 289hp on stock arm and 17/43 gearing. Lowered compression via spacer plate. 100% street bike. Installed and tuned by themotorhead. only problem I experienced was FI light under hard boosting. I figured it was an old FMU causing it that probably needed rebuilt.

Mr. turbo bike, bought it to part it. 64" bike lowered and unsure of gearing. owner claimed 240 hp. Ran on straight cam2. Accel made my face hurt if I came above the screen. I put maybe 2000 trouble free miles on it and tore it apart.

replaced Hahn kit with Velocity kit. 17/40 gearing. 256hp at 8lbs. stock arm. I put 28 miles on it and decided i needed to sell it, I felt I took a huge step back in performance versus cost.

finishing up my mcxpress bike hopefully completed by end of April. Low 300 hp, intercooled. 17/40 gearing, stock arm.

hey suzuki4life you said

I urge you to research and buy once! The biggest and worst thing people do is buy too small and hafta buy twice

keep the input coming

thanks in advance

.[/QUOTE]
IN MY OPINION:

you have 3 options for entry level kits.

ghetto kit. $3999 + $400 for full exhaust
240-280 hp, external gate, stainless plumbing, simple design (ie: uses regulator, pump and a fuel module). upgradable into 400 hp levels with bolt ons

Velocity stage 2 $5K+ I beleive( I Know they're on sale but too lazy to look it up)
240-300 hp, external gate, stainless plumbing, secondary computer controlled fuel injectors in plenum, includes cam sprocket and spacer plate because lowered compression is recommended. Upgradable into 400 hp levels with bolt ons

NLR GenX entry level kit ( I heard $5K)
240-280 hp, external gate, stainless plumbing, simple design (ie: uses regulator, pump and a fuel module). upgradable into allot of HP with bolt ons. BUT Seb takes great pride in his finish and quality. The Mercedes of turbosystems at this level.

Andersson is another possibility BUT I think there are like 4 in the country and getting repalcement parts might be next to impossible

go cheap go twice.

thanks suzuki4life , i will do more research

i was thinking (correct me if i am wrong) that the most important part of this project was finding a good tuner that can set the bike up and dyno tune it properly .

the guy i spoke with is local ,powerhouse cycles  . he has built many turbo busas from what i hear . he said there are good points and bad points to all the kits . he said he has done mr turbo , hahn , and velocity and says they are all good . he didnt push me to go with the hahn but after i explained what i was looking for from the bike he suggested the hahn stage one

he also said he would gladly do a velocity if i wanted ( he didnt steer me to any kit)

here is his website  www.fastcycles.com

he has a good reputation arounde here (in ny)

i was thinking (correct me if i am wrong) that the most important part of this project was finding a good tuner that can set the bike up and dyno tune it properly .

the guy i spoke with is local ,powerhouse cycles  . he has built many turbo busas from what i hear . he said there are good points and bad points to all the kits . he said he has done mr turbo , hahn , and velocity and says they are all good . he didnt push me to go with the hahn but after i explained what i was looking for from the bike he suggested the hahn stage one

he also said he would gladly do a velocity if i wanted ( he didnt steer me to any kit)

Well if those are the choices, go with the velocity stage 2. Costs a bit more than the others but well worth it.

Stainless parts, no oil pump used like the Mr.turbo, external gate, secondary fuel system.

Getto is also a very good kit as previosly stated, especially if you keep the ase kit around the 240-260hp target. You can run all day on that. You will find jsut as many good and bad things about all kits. I have put 30,000 miles on my turbo but it is extremely modified. The pont is you will find one person who had good luck and 2 that had bad luck etc.

Yes you are on the right track the tunning is very very important.

Getto is also a very good kit as previosly stated, especially if you keep the ase kit around the 240-260hp target. You can run all day on that.  You will find jsut as many good and bad things about all kits.  I have put 30,000 miles on my turbo but it is extremely modified.  The pont is you will find one person who had good luck and 2 that had bad luck etc.

Yes you are on the right track the tunning is very very important.
suzuki4life... I agree, you get what you pay for... but the cheapest kit is the ghetto kit and I have to say it is one of the best kits with the best customer service you can get... I like Velocity, the stuff doesn't look too bad, but for what you get, you will get bigger bang for the buck on the ghetto. The ghetto is extremelly reliable for a turbo kit... My buddy has a call into velocity, let me correct myself, multiple calls to velocity regarding their stage 2 race kit to purchase and he is still waiting for a call back. If you want to be the customer go with Dennis, if you want them to be the customer, go with the others...
biggrin.gif
My 2 cents on that....

You were right in one thing, I think Doc Busa had some configuration issues with his setup, but I have never heard "great" things out of hahn... I didn't even consider them on the list when I was getting a turbo.

You may be able to do okay on the hahn, but for quality, I haven't heard too many good things about them over the last couple of years I have been around...

Tuner is probably the most important thing here even over the turbo kit itself.

CLoud

I've just got one question...If the Ghetto is so reliable and such a kick ass kit why aren't you guys posting on it...In the past many members have shared their boosted experiences but Ghetto kit owners don't...Is there a plot to infiltrate...What's up???Not bashing just curious...My %$#@ is running just haven't had the opportunity to visit the track...May not even ride the track anymore...Oh maybe your a sales rep...OK the last one was cheap but don't be mad...I ain't...

I've just got one question...If the Ghetto is so reliable and such a kick ass kit why aren't you guys posting on it...In the past many members have shared their boosted experiences but Ghetto kit owners don't...Is there a plot to infiltrate...What's up???Not bashing just curious...My %$#@ is running just haven't had the opportunity to visit the track...May not even ride the track anymore...Oh maybe your a sales rep...OK the last one was cheap but don't be mad...I ain't...
hahahahaha....

No offence taken dude... We have a local club here in CO and a couple of ghetto owners are in it... I am not saying there hasn't been any issues with a ghetto...

Lord knows my buddy is working through a boost gauge issue, hot soak, and had his baby blew up on the dyno the first time. (Although the blow up didn't have to do with the kit. The boost hose was cut by the fan blade on the dyno...)

As far as customer service... I got a lot to say about Dennis... I have been working with Dennis on a very consistent basis on getting my turbo setup going and HE HAS BEEN GREAT. He returns phone calls, emails, and he will treat you right. I haven't got it going yet, so I can't speak for reliability of the kit, only from what I have seen by my buddies and others that have them.

You can ping my other buddy on this board about him getting his Velocity kit, I am meeting him tonight and I bet he still hasn't heard from Velocity yet... hahahah he goes by badazzbusa on the board...

Actually you are right, however I have read just as many problems with the Getto kits. The main thing is it is not the kits but the owners, installing or tunniing wrong. I venture to say if you take all of the negative problems with each kit they will come out about the same. I know from the boards that at least 4 Getto kits have blown up recently along with everything else. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE KITS QUALITY again make sure everyone reads this not the kits problem. Turn it up to much wrong this I forgot that.

hahahahaha....

No offence taken dude... We have a local club here in CO and a couple of ghetto owners are in it... I am not saying there hasn't been any issues with a ghetto...

Lord knows my buddy is working through a boost gauge issue, hot soak, and had his baby blew up on the dyno the first time. (Although the blow up didn't have to do with the kit. The boost hose was cut by the fan blade on the dyno...)

As far as customer service... I got a lot to say about Dennis... I have been working with Dennis on a very consistent basis on getting my turbo setup going and HE HAS BEEN GREAT. He returns phone calls, emails, and he will treat you right. I haven't got it going yet, so I can't speak for reliability of the kit, only from what I have seen by my buddies and others that have them.

You can ping my other buddy on this board about him getting his Velocity kit, I am meeting him tonight and I bet he still hasn't heard from Velocity yet... hahahah he goes by badazzbusa on the board...
I get great customer service from Kevin @ SuperKaos.com but his language is quite different from mine...Sometimes I just don't understand is tech talk...But he takes the time to break it down...

And these kits are in such popular demand that it doesn't surprise me that your partner is having to wait...I waited 3 months to get mine and it's just a Stage 1...And don't forget that Barry has started racing so their on the run alot...

I sound like a rep...

Back