Turbo/Sensor/AMS 1000 issue

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I just had this issue a while back and just can't afford to keep throwing BIG money at this deal.
AMS 1000 shows this...
ta.jpg

tb.jpg

So the prescribed fix was to change this out...which I did. Very expensive little sucker. So rather than throw money down the drain every couple of months I was hoping somebody might have the answer.

20200802_023153_Burst01.jpg

Also,I've never had the AMS flick over to this screen on its own. Turned the ignition on (did not start motor),seen the error code mentioned earlier,looked away for a second then returned to see this:
It then fluctuated,as shown in the photo's.
Thoughts? Ideas? Thank you very much.
Rubb.

t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t4.jpg

Would have to assume map sensor is going/gone bad. probably on key on it is looking for a reading range and not seeing it. then the resistance/ out put voltage drops into a recognized range, and the changing value is the sensor is still varying

Would have to assume map sensor is going/gone bad. probably on key on it is looking for a reading range and not seeing it. then the resistance/ out put voltage drops into a recognized range, and the changing value is the sensor is still varying
Replaced the sensor a couple months ago.
why two? not sure 8 years on my first one
no cheaper supplier?
Ahhh 2 what?
Have to look for one from somebody else.
Thanks 202,
Rubb.

two map sensors/ didn't you say you replaced it a while ago?
page 22 shows it wired to a GM 3 bar so surely those are inexpensive enough
Yes,I replaced it a few months back.
I paid several hundred $ for it.
As I scope out a cheaper one...its hard to find the exact one. I need the 3 pin for sure...but also 100PSI.

map sensor b.png

The Amazon LOOKS like a good bet...but doesn't have the 225 sticker?
This obvious Chinese knock off doesn't have a hole in the connector plug like the one I have in hand does. Your opinion on relevance?

map sensor c.png

Mine in hand...

hole.jpg

Chinese...also has a shorter steel body...

no hole.png

This guy from EPay has only one listed in his store,its SSI but only 10PSI as I drew in. The lettering is model letters/numbers are wrong as well. I'll try reaching out to him. The price diff between these things is huge.

map sensor d.png

OK 202 I was reading thru my AMS manual...but thanks for the link (easier to see) and noticed a key word "optional" Can I just un-plug the sensor?
What signal does it send to the AMS just air pressure? If so,how revelant is it? I believe my boost control is set to work off the gear position sensor,not GPS,not pressure?
Sorry for boring the krap outa ya. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Rubb.

map sensor a.png

As manifold pressure increases,does the AMS use this information and raise/lower boost? There must be an' important use for the manifold pressure data no?
Rubb.

AMS 1000 and 2000 only control the amout of air on the assist port (top hat)

Does the current connector have a pin that goes in the hole? my bike is home I am at work
Unknown/can't remem. Will have to look once plastic comes off.
Check for +5v at the sensor (AMS terminal 13) and check ground at the sensor ( AMS terminal 14). Also, try putting an alternate (LOW pressure) air source to the sensor and measure a change in voltage @ terminal 16 with various levels of air pressure.
Did this last time I diagnosed but will check again.
Your test for term 16...how much pressure would you recommend,and how many tests would be helpful at the various levels of pressure? IE: Start with a certain pressure and increase the level each time. I can put an in-line air pressure gauge from compressor to sensor. This might be a couple days coming,as I will need to beg some lift time at buddy's shop.
Numbers look good,ground looks good..
Voltage # from cheap chinese battery...not so good. :laugh: but it starts the beast. Thank you for your patience gentlemen,I'm all alone here on an island,literally. "I am the Busa/Turbo Busa expert"
rofl.gif

I know...we're pretty much fugged now right?
Rubb.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Check the voltage and ground at the sensor itself, not at the AMS unit.

You're looking for a change in voltage output from the sensor, anywhere from 0 - 5v depending on how much air pressure you put to the sensor. I'm guessing that's a 3 bar sensor, so 3 bar should equal 5v, 1 bar should equal roughly 1.6 v. But the numbers aren't what's important, with the sensor connected to the input and ground, simply seeing an output voltage (terminal #16) will confirm that the sensor is working correctly.

And as far as pressure, you can basically just take an air blower from your shop compressor and carefully pass it across the inlet port of the sensor. Do not stick it in the hole of the inlet port, just pass it across the port from a distance until you see a change in (0-5v) output. If the sensor has failed, I believe the AMS 1000 will accept a GM 2 bar (Buick) map sensor. They're cheap in comparison to the NLR supplied sensor that comes with the AMS 1000.

second picture is to terminal #14? voltage? shouldn't it be ground?
Yes, terminal #14 on the AMS control unit is ground for the map sensor. How the hell are you getting 12 v. from it ?

It looks like I'm the pic rubb is holding the red probe on power and the black on #14 to ground the circuit and get the voltage reading. @rubbersidedown I see why u did that but better way is to check continuity from wherever your ground is to the negative terminal.

second picture is to terminal #14? voltage? shouldn't it be ground?
Took voltage from battery,used 14 as a ground for the test.
Yes, terminal #14 on the AMS control unit is ground for the map sensor. How the hell are you getting 12 v. from it ?
Battery + side. (wrong way to test)? ? ? Just wanted to see that I had a good ground and that it was strong. Battery tested at 12.27v straight across so I thought if ground on #14 I'd know.
It looks like I'm the pic rubb is holding the red probe on power and the black on #14 to ground the circuit and get the voltage reading. @rubbersidedown I see why u did that but better way is to check continuity from wherever your ground is to the negative terminal.
4 sure Dope...but I don't know where the builder grounded it.
That will have to wait for a "plastics off" day.
Thanks guys.
Rubb.

Check the voltage and ground at the sensor itself, not at the AMS unit.

You're looking for a change in voltage output from the sensor, anywhere from 0 - 5v depending on how much air pressure you put to the sensor. I'm guessing that's a 3 bar sensor, so 3 bar should equal 5v, 1 bar should equal roughly 1.6 v. But the numbers aren't what's important, with the sensor connected to the input and ground, simply seeing an output voltage (terminal #16) will confirm that the sensor is working correctly.

And as far as pressure, you can basically just take an air blower from your shop compressor and carefully pass it across the inlet port of the sensor. Do not stick it in the hole of the inlet port, just pass it across the port from a distance until you see a change in (0-5v) output. If the sensor has failed, I believe the AMS 1000 will accept a GM 2 bar (Buick) map sensor. They're cheap in comparison to the NLR supplied sensor that comes with the AMS 1000.

Yup 3 bar. But a GM 2 bar will work. Sweet.
Thanks man. Really appreciate the effort. :bowdown:
Rubb.

Any idea's guys,on what can be corrected before I go thru a 3rd sensor?
The sensor is failing,ok,understood.
But why is it failing? As @202mphbusa said,he has gotten years out of his.
Why am I only getting months?
Thanks,
Rubb.

Back