Tube Fork Question

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
Hello folks after 108K miles my bird has developed major issues and went to the shop (rebuild). Anyway one of the issues is a bad fork tube, it keeps leaking for some reason. What are the options for this problem? Are there rebuild kits? Just buy one from ebay?

Not sure what is meant by a "bad fork tube". Typically leaks are caused by damaged/torn fork seals. Sometimes they can be cleaned (gunk can get in between the seal and the fork leg, causing a gap for liquid to leak through). If it is a bad fork seal, then that is all that should need to be replaced- I wouldn't buy a new fork unless someone has a good explaination about the fork internals failing and there is damage to the tube (like after an incident of some kind).

I hope that helps...

A bent fork is the only failure I have heard of also. If this happened you would know it as it takes a pretty good smack to bend the fork tubes (maybe a previous owner?)! Sometimes a new seal will leak right away. I had that happen on my Ohlins even. But leaks are pretty easy to spot, usually a build up of grime on the exposed stroke of the fork or piled up gunk at the seal.

My 08 tubes have gotten pits and chips in them (little too much gravel road action). If you take a whetstone and knock the burrs down it will only pass oil as it goes past that spot. I have since put fork gators on to keep it from getting worse. When I can't stand the seeping anymore I'll get new tubes and put the gators on from the start.

This is the first (and only) bike I've owned so I didn't know these things required maintenance. Couple years ago they started leaking and I had them fixed, about a year or so later they leaked again. Flash forward a year or so later and it's leaking again. My mechanic fixed it and I rode it once. The engine blew a gasket and I took it back, decided to just rebuild the engine but as he's working on it he tells me the fork is leaking again. The bike has 108K miles so he said just get one on ebay but I have no idea what's going on and I don't understand how this thing could be leaking.

The damage doesn't have to be visible.
In 108k miles it's seen some wear and tear anyway.
It could've been out of spec from new, and eventually leaked, or more likely has been bent from a pothole, power wheelie slam, or some sort of hard impact. Assuming there is no visible pitting.
The bushings/guides inside the fork do wear out too, but I don't think they are replacement parts(but I'm not sure, they may be).
As the mechanic told you, an eBay fork(s) would be your best bet. And replace their fork seals before putting them on your bike.

You just need new seals, dont replace your forks. And yes, dont buy bent forks.

You said that "it keeps leaking".
As in, this is a repeat issue, and fork seals have been replaced?
Or the fork seals have not been replaced?
If they haven't, then that's the problem.
If they have, and the same fork is leaking, then it could be more than the seal.
Sorry for any confusion.

What year bike is it? With the miles you have and if you have the Gold forks, is the coating worn off the lower tubes? If so there is a good chance that the bushings in the upper tube have the Teflon coating worn also.

What year bike is it? With the miles you have and if you have the Gold forks, is the coating worn off the lower tubes? If so there is a good chance that the bushings in the upper tube have the Teflon coating worn also.
It's a 2005 with the gold forks and yes the gold is wearing/worn somewhat. Unfortunately I didn't take any pix and it's at the shop still. I'm looking at replacing because that's what my mechanic suggested. I started thinking that maybe there's a rebuild kit but I dunno, just looking for second opinions I guess.

Back