Rebuilding my forks

TheAtomicAss

Registered
What should I be aware of when I'm rebuilding a set of forks?

They aren't 'Busa forks, though, they're the ones on my Burgman. :whistle:

I figure oil seals and dust seals, but are there any other things I might need? One of my seals bit the dust and has been leaking oil since... Spring '07? So I figure it's probably ripped up quite bit of stuff inside by now, 20,000 miles later... :whistle:

I can tell you how I did my fork springs. Same procedure I'll use for the seals when I need them:

1) Ride bike to shop.
2) Wait a few days
3) Pay bill
4) Ride bike home

Putting off things like that usually results im more damage and expense than taking care of them right away. Good luck with the rebuild.

I can tell you how I did my fork springs. Same procedure I'll use for the seals when I need them:

1) Ride bike to shop.
2) Wait a few days
3) Pay bill
4) Ride bike home

Putting off things like that usually results im more damage and expense than taking care of them right away. Good luck with the rebuild.

Too late to not put it off, I think. :laugh:

But I never let the local shops touch my bike. They charge too much and don't always do the work right. That and I'm poor, so this is going to be a tight-budget job.

Too late to not put it off, I think. :laugh:

But I never let the local shops touch my bike. They charge too much and don't always do the work right. That and I'm poor, so this is going to be a tight-budget job.
I would tend to agree about the quality of shops.. if you decide to chicken out, you can always ship them to someone that knows what they are doing..

That "Half a Busa" is a pretty nice scooter... pics?

I would tend to agree about the quality of shops.. if you decide to chicken out, you can always ship them to someone that knows what they are doing..

That "Half a Busa" is a pretty nice scooter... pics?

No pics, as it's still a mess... From Oct '06. :whistle:

No half-a-Busa here, though, I've got the 400, not the 650. :laugh:

This being my ONLY ride at the moment, I can't afford to have it down for more than a day, so shipping is a no go.

Bump.

Anyone able to help out here?

I'm able to do the work myself, what I need to know is what parts I'm going to need once I start tearing things apart. Waiting a week for ordered parts to arrive once I start is NOT an option.

I would be sure to have an extra set of seals in case one gets damaged during the install. That's what happened to me when I replaced them for the first time.
Especially if you can not afford to have the bike down for more than one day.
brad

I would be sure to have an extra set of seals in case one gets damaged during the install. That's what happened to me when I replaced them for the first time.
Especially if you can not afford to have the bike down for more than one day.
brad

Good advice...

One thing I seem to be unable to find is rebuild KITS. Everything in the automotive world has a freakin' kit, but bikes you have to piecemeal... Something's wrong here. ???

when mine starting leaking oil i just bought some forks off a guy that strips hayabusa to sell the engines for kit cars.. you can get the whole front end for $300 bolt it on and go... seems an expensive and time consuming way your going good luck hope it works out ok :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back