Trooper Hits Motorcycle

I think it started out as a cop bashing thread. By virtue of the video. To defend the cops actions in some way making the bike at fault is kinda crazy. If they were doing 25, the cops should still be prepared for something as unlikely as this.

It kind of got amplified when I said I stay away from cops in general and that became I must be a bad guy response.

Why are some bashing a cop who is no more human than you or I?
That is why they call them accidents and not on purposes.
Troopers while trained are not supermen and capable of accidents.

Many say 'well if that was a civi they'd be locked up or ticketed or whatever.'
And I agree to a point. If the driver was impaired or under the influence than yes they'd face consequences but if not unfortunately a civi will be let go same as a trooper as once again it's a traffic accident.

Horrible to see but happens all the time here, almost daily I see or read about a biker passing under grannies wheels and they never charge them and only let em go. :(

Chase doesn't mean eluding to me. If the cop comes tearing up to you in traffic to make a stop, he is chasing you. If you are attempting to flee after they are making it known that they want you to pull over, its eluding. I have seen more than one video where a bike pulls over in an orderly fashion and offers no eluding, to watch the cop push the bike over, or hassle the rider or etc.

Here are 2 examples

Cop Slams a Cyclist. - YouTube[/url]

Alleges Dallas Sheriff Deputy Made Up Charge To Seize Video - YouTube[/url]

As to your comments regrading me, someone you have never met, and have no idea of my driving record, or my character, I hope you aren't a member of law enforcement, as you are just the type that causes the public to avoid LEO. You make ASSUMPTIONS about someone that has done nothing. Yet you make them a bad guy.

Avoiding a COP is not illegal. It doesn't mean I am doing anything wrong or trying to hide anything. It means I'm avoiding a potential hassle from an azzwhole. It means I might be on my way to work or something more important to me than you, and don't feel like going through the "roadside shake down" programs that I have to wait in line for. It could mean 100 different innocuous reasons none of which mean I am hiding anything.

I assume nothing, based upon your actions you make yourself appear suspicious. I have been riding sport bikes for the better part of 18 years, 15-20K annually, the last 13 here in Fla.
Once have I been mistaken for someone else and given the business. I ride my ride, I will admit to wrong doing when caught, but I will never go out of my way to avoid a LEO because of some fictitious fear of being hassled...maybe it's just you? Maybe you have better azzhole radar than me? I am not better or worse than you, I'm just voicing my opinion on the threads comments and content. Maybe my luck is better than yours? As far as the video clips are concerned, yeah and...? What happened prior to the events recorded,
A pack of wild bikers w/absolute no regard for anything or anyone but themselves. So one got singled out and was made an example of....lesson learned. Don't ride around in a large group of douche bag posers....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not defending the officer; his mistake - these people are hurt, and they will deserve compensation from his employer. The officer will face some form of censure depending on his past with the department. It's tragic for sure - but there is no need to assume malice on the officer's part, and we don't need any of "Those stupid cops!" comments. For all you know, this officer may be extremely remorseful over this, and he has likely laid his life on the line somewhere in the recent past in order to save the life of someone else.

I expect them to put their lives on the line. That is part of their job and what they signed up for. They are servants to the public. I personally think their jobs suck to do. But it is of their choosing.

No one assumed malice in that video. It was a cop being careless and people got hurt.

My personal experience in the 30 years I have been riding bikes. 12 of those years were in Fla. Nowhere else where I have lived do I have the same feelings as the cops in Fla. I have had no issues with cops here in Alabama. But I still avoid them. Just easier to enjoy my day without wondering if at some time a cop will decide I did an erratic lane change or my blinker was not initiated to his liking or he doesn't like the way I merged etc etc etc. I have no tickets on my record I have been cited probably 6 times for various alleged offense in those 12 years Took them to court and was found not guilty in each case. In one instance the cop threatened me in the courtroom and I got that recording. He was fired from the dept he worked for. Was this the only reason? I don't know. I just know that he was fired shortly after that tape was made available to his chief.

As to the bike riding in that group. He was the only bike that was not speeding, and obeying all traffic rules. He was the one pulled over. Guilt by association don't cut it. He broke what laws? We don't know his association with any of those riders. Knowing other people that break the law is now a reason for arrest? Oh and P.S. The Dept. launched an internal investigation. They don't do that for recreational purposes.

f--cking hate careless cops, one more reason to stay away from them! Especially the ones that try and knock the rider off the bike deliberately in a chase.

BB

Way back in 1978 I was being processed through the police station for selling fireworks in Douglas Wyoming. That is totally irrelvant to what I heard as I sat there waiting to get the formailities finalized. In the open cubical next to me were two policeman and they were talking about a dirt bike chase through town the previous night. The dirt bike was eluding officers and having quite a time doing it from what I could tell from the persuing officers story. At one point he said he just missed hitting the dirt biker broad side at an intersection. He said " I just missed them" and from the tone of it is sounded like he was trying to hit em. What would that be ? Attempted manslaughter with a motor vehicle? To be a cop you have to be willing to kill people... some take it a little to far.

I am glad to hear these people were treated and released from the hospital.

Sounds like you ride around looking over your shoulder and going out of your way to stay out of the way...as if you have something to hide/and or are paranoid. Like the "man is out to get ya".
:whistle:

Avoid big white sedans. Avoid trucks. Avoid people on phones. Avoid debris in the road. Adding cops isn't really causing much of an issue. I see the point he is making. I avoid people that can make my day horrible if theirs is bad. "Everyone is out to get you" is not a bad thing when your clothes are the only thing between you and your surroundings at 70 mph.

Look at it another way. Regardless of what you are doing, right, wrong, nothing or otherwise, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time, a traffic cop can only make your day worse. Therefore, do as he does and put them on the list with sharks, snakes, spiders, scorpions, rats, ex's, etc.

Avoid big white sedans. Avoid trucks. Avoid people on phones. Avoid debris in the road. Adding cops isn't really causing much of an issue. I see the point he is making. I avoid people that can make my day horrible if theirs is bad. "Everyone is out to get you" is not a bad thing when your clothes are the only thing between you and your surroundings at 70 mph.

Look at it another way. Regardless of what you are doing, right, wrong, nothing or otherwise, 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time, a traffic cop can only make your day worse. Therefore, do as he does and put them on the list with sharks, snakes, spiders, scorpions, rats, ex's, etc.

Well said Dust. Thank you.

Back