Virginia State Law on mufflers

a cop does NOT need a decibil meter to cite someone for an excessivly loud exhaust. if the cop thinks its unnecessarily or excessively loud that is all the PC he needs to issue an infraction for a loud exhaust.

just like when a cop observes someone traveling excessivly fast he does NOT need radar, laser, vascar, airplane or any other speed measuring device to cite you with traveling too fast. if he believes ur traveling above the posted limit or simply too fast for conditions due to weather, traffic, etc... based on his training and experience he does not any official equipment to cite you.

Now that right there doesn't make any since what so ever, but it is definitely true in Va. I was convicted of Reckless Driving and the trooper didn't use anything, he speculated the entire thing and the prosecutor and judge sent my a** to jail with a hefty fine and 6 months no driving at all. I guess you are guilty until proven innocent now-a-days

Just wanted to vent.:banghead: I was pulled over by a Virginia State trooper who was accompanied by a motorcycle trooper at the exit of the HOV lane. He cited me for imporper tag lighting but told me that my exhaust were too loud. Ok so I got the VooDoo ehaust with the speakeasy inserts of which quiets the bike down a lot, however they are (according the trooper) against the law. Is there anyone in Va that has this same problem? I have heard the motorcycle troopers bikes and they are loud as hell and I definitely know that the exhaust is not stock.

Lived in Va all my life, been riding for almost 40 years....and luckily never had a run-in with a cop concerning mufflers. That includes straight pipes on two different Harleys, and a Muzzy oval on my old 01 Busa. Never had an issue with inspection as well. I just saw a Fairfax (Va.) Motor Patrol demo the other week, they were using Harleys...and from what I can tell, had stock exhaust..were quiet.

without a db meter the cop is guessing its too loud. Court needs facts not guesses and with drop it.

BTW did you get any tickets?
Its a federal law that applies in all states that if you're running an exhaust system thats not stamped on it as EPA certified, then you're breaking the law. That laws been around forever, cops have just spoiled us over the years by choosing to not aggressively enforce it. But more and more states are starting to crack down because as populations increase, and everbodies getting greener, more and more folks are complaining about sound levels of bikes. There are many cities around the country, and at least one state (california as of 2013) that are aggressively going after bikes that don't have the stock exhaust on them. And its just going to get worse as long as we run loud exhausts and bring attention to ourselves.

This came back thanks to the stupid squatted trucks with no mufflers...which I'm tired of listening to the same 3 idiots ride by my house, constantly on and off the gas...cuz it sounds cool...
Amen to that brother...I hear you there...we have a diesel Ram with 6 inch exhausts go by once in a while and that sound goes right through the walls..

All the trucks/bike without mufflers and tuner cars are causing a lot of noise issues out there...

I can't blame law makers for acting.

Back