Virginia State Law on mufflers

free_agentBusa

Registered
Just wanted to vent.:banghead: I was pulled over by a Virginia State trooper who was accompanied by a motorcycle trooper at the exit of the HOV lane. He cited me for imporper tag lighting but told me that my exhaust were too loud. Ok so I got the VooDoo ehaust with the speakeasy inserts of which quiets the bike down a lot, however they are (according the trooper) against the law. Is there anyone in Va that has this same problem? I have heard the motorcycle troopers bikes and they are loud as hell and I definitely know that the exhaust is not stock.

Any time you modify the stock exhaust system, you stand the chance of being penalized. All aftermarket exhausts have a disclaimer stating that they are for offroad use only..... Most LEO's do not enforce this but it is thier option.

Just wanted to vent.:banghead: I was pulled over by a Virginia State trooper who was accompanied by a motorcycle trooper at the exit of the HOV lane. He cited me for imporper tag lighting but told me that my exhaust were too loud. Ok so I got the VooDoo ehaust with the speakeasy inserts of which quiets the bike down a lot, however they are (according the trooper) against the law. Is there anyone in Va that has this same problem? I have heard the motorcycle troopers bikes and they are loud as hell and I definitely know that the exhaust is not stock.

find out the decibel law... its so many decibals at so many feet away with the bike at idle

If your ever given a citation ask to see the report taken onsite with a calibrated decibel meter during court dont ask during the traffic stop.

without a db meter the cop is guessing its too loud. Court needs facts not guesses and with drop it.

BTW did you get any tickets?

Va is funny, i lived there for awhile. it's illegal to extend a swingarm for on road use... It's called altered suspension, but you can lift a truck. What's that when a truck is lifted?

Some troopers don't know what they are taking about when it comes to motorcycles and have nothing better to do than harass.

How long have you been riding with that muffler?
I would keep on riding with it just the way it is.
I bet you it was some young rooky cop that pulled u over

The louder your exhaust the more likely you'll get noticed by law enforcement. If you want to run voodoo's expect to get LOTS of the wrong kind of attention :banghead:

§ 46.2-1050. Mufflers on motorcycles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or cause to be operated any motorcycle not equipped with a muffler or other sound dissipative device in good working order and in constant operation.

No person shall remove or render inoperative, or cause to be removed or rendered inoperative, other than for purposes of maintenance, repair or replacement, any muffler or sound dissipative device on a motorcycle.

And at what point does it mention any decibel levels?

a cop does NOT need a decibil meter to cite someone for an excessivly loud exhaust. if the cop thinks its unnecessarily or excessively loud that is all the PC he needs to issue an infraction for a loud exhaust.

just like when a cop observes someone traveling excessivly fast he does NOT need radar, laser, vascar, airplane or any other speed measuring device to cite you with traveling too fast. if he believes ur traveling above the posted limit or simply too fast for conditions due to weather, traffic, etc... based on his training and experience he does not any official equipment to cite you.

a cop does NOT need a decibil meter to cite someone for an excessivly loud exhaust. if the cop thinks its unnecessarily or excessively loud that is all the PC he needs to issue an infraction for a loud exhaust.

just like when a cop observes someone traveling excessivly fast he does NOT need radar, laser, vascar, airplane or any other speed measuring device to cite you with traveling too fast. if he believes ur traveling above the posted limit or simply too fast for conditions due to weather, traffic, etc... based on his training and experience he does not any official equipment to cite you.

What?????

What?????
what are u not understanding????

Code of Virgina Title 46.2 MOTOR VEHICLES.

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

(Code 1950, § 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727; 2006, cc. 529, 538.)

yes a Motorcycle is a Motor Vehicle. Legal Definition of Motor Vehicle

Bretts right, an officers training is considered enough to cite you. If you fight the ticket it can make it much harder for the ticket to stick.......but the ticket can be written strictly on the fact that the officer is trained to judge speeds and driving conditions. Plus if they pace you they can claim the speeds based off of their speeds........in other words they were traveling the limit and you were going faster than them, hence you were speeding.......or they match your speed and bam! you were speeding :laugh:
Same thing as reasonable cause to search....no warrant needed if there's something an officer feels warrants a search.
Grey areas for sure, and fightable, but the ticket can be written.

The cop can cite you all they want. But it won't stick I say this because I have beaten about 5 bs tickets. Just smile and act nice, they just like to bother sport bikes.

The cop can cite you all they want. But it won't stick I say this because I have beaten about 5 bs tickets. Just smile and act nice, they just like to bother sport bikes.
I agree 100 % , when an officers gets bored they tend to do silly things, Just smile and act nice, little things such as that don't stick.

Same thing as reasonable cause to search....no warrant needed if there's something an officer feels warrants a search. Grey areas for sure said:
Not really. This depends on your state, but they can't search unless they see something, or a dog gets a hit on the vehicle. Just the other day when that guy killed 5 people in seattle the police wouldn't even touch the car that he carjacked without a warrant even though the news chopper was clearly showing one of the pistols he used right on the drivers seat and the door was wide open.

Back