Trike Fatality at Deal's Gap

So sad to hear :( Everyone ride safe and within your limits...watch out for everyone else.

I was wondering.....what exactly is the safety record like at the Gap? I have read and heard about this great route over so many years and it seems so popular but it seems to be a magnet for major crashes and fatalities. Having also seen scores of pics of riders dragging knee on these roads (and into the ditches in many cases) I am not the least bit surprised that this stuff happens but if the stats get to be too much I could see some kind of changes to the route in order to discourage this type of riding which would be a shame for those who enjoy it safely.

The gap is safe to anyone that uses their brains. Very nice twisty roads but easy to lose your concetration. The most dangerous thing is other drivers/riders. You dont know how many times ive seen someone crossing the double yellow, ran me off the road 08 spring bash. Plus you get a lot of new riders down there that think they can ride, i would say they are the most dangerous. Then you have the trike guys and harley guys, all i can say is your bike is not made for them roads! If your dragging pipes and floor boards or riding a trike that is not made to make any type of turns you dont need to be there. But getting off them, you are your biggest danger. Just dont ride farther than your capable. The bike will do much more than you can, just stay within your limits not the bikes.

More sad news... I grew up and ride in mountainous terrain all the time, it's great fun but it is a skill that needs to be cultivated. People (with good skills) from flatter areas particuarly over estimate their skills judging and negoiating the potential hazards of these areas. Mis-judging steeply banked curves, steep grades into curves, very tight diminishing radius curves (not average freeway enterance ramps), braking potential while in the curve, and gravel accumulations happens all the time. These areas require a paradigm shift in turning / curve judgement and management. Preaching to the choir - but be safe out there!

Condolences to the Family.

B

Last edited:
That place is as dangerous as wipping your arse with a broken bottle! After my first trip down that 11 mile stretch, I became the slowest guy on the mountain. As I watched the multitudes of bikes and cars negotiating corners it made my Kahona's shrink to marble size. Nothing but trees, rock walls and cliffs outside of two very narrow lanes twisting through one blind corner after another. The obsticles wasn't what got to me, it was the drivers/riders. Made me ride like an old woman!

But at least I came home in one piece, which was my goal from the get go!

I'd suggest everyone riding up there evaluate their good judgment and common sense facualties! Enjoy but be cautious!

The gap is safe to anyone that uses their brains. Very nice twisty roads but easy to lose your concetration. The most dangerous thing is other drivers/riders. You dont know how many times ive seen someone crossing the double yellow, ran me off the road 08 spring bash. Plus you get a lot of new riders down there that think they can ride, i would say they are the most dangerous. Then you have the trike guys and harley guys, all i can say is your bike is not made for them roads! If your dragging pipes and floor boards or riding a trike that is not made to make any type of turns you dont need to be there. But getting off them, you are your biggest danger. Just dont ride farther than your capable. The bike will do much more than you can, just stay within your limits not the bikes.

Unfortunately even if you use your brains and ride safe, there are just way too many other factors there anymore to make it an enjoyable road. I have roads out here that are almost as good, and I have them all to myself.

Last edited:
That place is as dangerous as wipping your arse with a broken bottle! After my first trip down that 11 mile stretch, I became the slowest guy on the mountain. As I watched the multitudes of bikes and cars negotiating corners it made my Kahona's shrink to marble size. Nothing but trees, rock walls and cliffs outside of two very narrow lanes twisting through one blind corner after another. The obsticles wasn't what got to me, it was the drivers/riders. Made me ride like an old woman!

I'd suggest everyone riding up there evaluate their good judgment and common sense facualties! Enjoy but be cautious!
You weren't riding very slow when you were chasing me......:whistle:

I was wondering.....what exactly is the safety record like at the Gap? I have read and heard about this great route over so many years and it seems so popular but it seems to be a magnet for major crashes and fatalities. Having also seen scores of pics of riders dragging knee on these roads (and into the ditches in many cases) I am not the least bit surprised that this stuff happens but if the stats get to be too much I could see some kind of changes to the route in order to discourage this type of riding which would be a shame for those who enjoy it safely.

Considering how many people folk to the area, its very safe. You can look at it a few different ways but the number of riders compared to the number of accidents its not as bad. As KB and KG would both say, if you crashed in your town no one would hear about it, but if you came to the gap and crashed it would be in the newspaper. Riding is dangerous, if you go to a place where tons of people want to go and then factor the types of roads the risk goes up. I look at it this way, I live in a 100 year old log cabin in the wood pretty much entirely surrounded by large old trees, there is nothing in the world stopping any of them coming down and getting me in the night or on the way out to the bike/car in the morning.

When its my time, its my time. Ride your ride and be careful, but do yourself a favor live a little.

Anyways, I hope you're having fun Steve, wish I was there with you. Doyle

Ive been going to the gap since i got my bike in 06. even in that short time i have seen a greater and greater number of people going down there. all and all i dont think the fatality rate is all that out of wack for that area when you compare it to the amount of traffic that goes through there. I dont go down on the weekends anymore because of the larger traffic and the usually over done leo activity. i always have a great time and usually grind off half of my knee pucks while im there. you can only ride your ride and you cant help how other people act but i wouldnt avoid the place. i would just suggest going during the week for a nicer time. less headache less traffic less leo activity.

Funny post that I can relate to. A few years ago one of the magazines ran a multi-page series of pictures of motorcycle accidents and near misses at the Gap. I'll have none of it. For my adrenalin rush I'll go to the track with the corner workers and no oncoming traffic.

I rode that turn this last weekend (as many others did); it's not marked and it kinda surprises you - I can see how a trike could get caught with his pants down.

But hey, guess what, NO BUSA CRASHES THIS BASH that's a record! :beerchug:

Back