Just because you can ride a bike, dosen't mean you can ride a trike.

red1100cc

Registered
i did a wedding today. merrying some friends of mine in a biker wedding. joining the clubs of UMF and Birds of a Feather in matrimony. well the bride Kim, thought it would be a good idea to drive her new hubby (Big Ugly) around on the back of my brothers GL1500 trike.
here is where a really nice day turned sour.
she was able to pilot the trike out of the parking lot and onto the road. but that's about where she lost control of the vehicle. :omg:
i was sitting in a truck watching the procession leave the VFW. right in front of me i saw the trike accelerate out of control right off the right side of the road! Off into a ditch about 6' deep, mud toward the bottom, not too steep. as they hit the mud the trike's front tire sunk, causing the entire rig to flip and somersault 180. planting bride and groom in the mud. at least they were not caught under it! i did the 100yd dash to find Big Ugly rolling over to a sitting position, and Kim Face down in the mud unable to move or roll over.
there were medical personnel in the wedding party that assisted til the emergency response personnel arrived on the scene.
Kim has up to 9 broken/hurt ribs, at 10pm she was still waiting for x-ray to check for broken collarbone.
talking with friends later i found out she had never tried to drive a trike before today. has her own bike and thought "well i ride a bike, i can ride anything well." WRONG!!!
their wonderful day went yeehaw, ker-bang, crunch, oh crap real quick.
i feel really bad for them, they had planned their wedding around the river run. guess that's probably canceled. at least they will be alright. they will live to ride another day. but to go down, on your wedding, in your wedding dress, and no gear save for a vest. :banghead: i just feel for them. and maybe someone will learn from their mistake.:please:

i have a few sidehacks and have built a couple trikes and know how hard they are to drive, and you do drive them not ride. seems like she was trying to lean it back on the road, got scared and grabbed a hand full of gas.

anyway i haven't been able to sleep, replaying their wipeout over and over in my head.

til next time
Ride Safe Brothers and Sisters.

wow is right.
How close to complete catastrophy was that ?
Both could be dead in the mud.
I'm am happy they are Ok and a bit tempted to say any other day and God may not have been so kind.
He gave them a second chance and a new start on their new start.
I hope they see that and realize it to the fullest !

Now that thats said I keep seeing the scene with Michael Douglas slidin down hill and landing in Kathleen Turners lap in Romancing the Stone !
:laugh:

I reckon it would be fair to say there will be no need for the honeymoon suite tonight, eh?

wow, that’s terrible.

However, while tragic today, these events will probably bring allot of laughter in the future.

I wish them a speedy recovery.

update on kim

wow, that’s terrible.

However, while tragic today, these events will probably bring allot of laughter in the future.

I wish them a speedy recovery.

thank you all for your kind thoughts. im going to see Kim in the hospital here in a few. Kim is very hurt. 9 broken ribs in 23 places. they may have to induce a coma to manage her pain. big ugly is ok, he feels bad as his body crushed her upon impact.

amazing how quick things can go bad!

til nextime Brothers and Sisters..
ride safe.

I have a Can Am Spyder also that I got for my wife to learn to ride. When I first got on it to ride/drive home it scared the crap out of me. I did everything I was used to on a 2 wheeler and when sitting on it it is like a regular bike only with the wheels in the front. Its opposite of what you do on a 2 wheeler and took me a little bit to get used to it enough to make it home. Completely different. Now that I have put about 700 miles on it its just fine and its a lot of fun and can get on it after riding the Busa with no problems.

That does suck to go down, but it's even worse when you go down on your wedding day! Glad to hear that they will be ok, somewhat!

Re: update on kim

thank you all for your kind thoughts. im going to see Kim in the hospital here in a few. Kim is very hurt. 9 broken ribs in 23 places. they may have to induce a coma to manage her pain. big ugly is ok, he feels bad as his body crushed her upon impact.

amazing how quick things can go bad!

til nextime Brothers and Sisters..
ride safe.

Wow this is horrible I feel so bad for them. I wish the a quick recovery and a great long life together.

Glad it was not worse. Best wishes for a quick recovery for the bride.

Trikes and Can-Am Spiders steer like cars, not motorcycles. They don't lean or handle anything like a bike, except that you can fall off.

kim update

went to the hospital to check on Kim and straighten up the story. they are not going to induce a coma. that's good. shes got her "fall asleep machine" hooked up with good dope and doin ok. she broke 6 ribs on one side, and 3 on the other. only a couple have multiple breaks. she says "i broke my boobs!" so her humor is ok. hopefully she may be able to go home tonight or tomorrow.

i still keep playin their wipeout over in my head. that totally out of control exceleration, off the road, flip, crunch, wipeout.

told Kim she may have just earned a new name "Flip".
too bad nobody has this on film. definitely their youtube moment!

honeymoons canceled, she cant fly for 6 weeks. but she will live to ride another day, maybe not tomorrow, but she will ride again.

thank you all for your kind messages, thoughts, and prayers.

be safe out there.

Back