Treasury pick failed to pay taxes

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
Here's a surprise :whistle:

Treasury pick failed to pay self-employment taxes
January 13, 2009 10:25 PM EST
WASHINGTON - President-elect Barack Obama's choice to run the Treasury Department and lead the nation's economic rescue failed to pay $34,000 in taxes from 2001 to 2004, but the last-minute disclosure didn't stop Senate Democrats from moving forward with his nomination.

Timothy Geithner had paid some of the back taxes in 2006 after the IRS sent him a bill. When the Obama transition team discovered he owed even more back taxes, Geithner paid those additional taxes days before Obama announced his choice in November, according to materials released by the Senate Finance Committee considering his nomination.

Obama's staff told senators about the tax issues on Dec. 5.

Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., said he still hoped Geithner could be confirmed on Inauguration Day, asking senators for unanimous consent to skirt rules and schedule a hearing as early as Friday.

"These errors were not intentional; they were honest mistakes," Baucus said after he and other committee members met with Geithner behind closed doors on Tuesday.

:banghead: UNFRICKENBELIEVABLE

I'am a'gona remember that. Uhhhhhhhh, look Mr IRS :rulez: these errors were unintentional :laugh:

Think I can get away with that :whistle:

I call bullsh*t. He knew, but he didn't pay them until shortly before the nomination?

People make mistakes on their taxes, but it took him from 2006 til NOW to pay them in full? Jeez, I sure as hell can't get away with that. I pay my ass off in estimated taxes, and interest and penalties if I get it wrong - but I'm not trying to be the head of the U.S. TREASURY!

Didn't I see where there were questions about his housekeeper and whether the housekeeper was an illegal or not?

I'm beginning to think it's starting out a whole like a rerun from the Clinton era, only difference is this one was in a scandel before ever taking office. Isn't that a record?

Didn't I see where there were questions about his housekeeper and whether the housekeeper was an illegal or not?

I'm beginning to think it's starting out a whole like a rerun from the Clinton era, only difference is this one was in a scandel before ever taking office. Isn't that a record?

I understand he did have an illegal working for him and dident pay taxes on her employment...Harry Reid said of that none of this should interfere with his appointment, it was just a mistake:banghead:

Im affraid our leaders have no intension of of leading only shoring up their power base for the next 50 years, i mean , how could anyone think that thru all this that somehow Obama was untouched by dirty chicago politics when everyone he was surrounded by is dirty.............and the republicans? there busy saving the seats of the north eastern repubs for the next 4 years according to the RNC meeting they had last week, thats their priority

I'm sure y'all know my political stand on things. However, I'm waiting to see how this one plays out before passing judgement. At the time the taxes were not paid, he was working for an international organization. That organization did not pay the employer side of employee taxes as US companies do. The unpaid taxes may have been unintensional due to ignorance of the tax law in that situation. Ironic though that he will be over the IRS if he's sworn in.

this entire appointment list of people so far looks mostly like the moving in of the "good ole boys I owe favors too"

Intelligence dept run by someone with NO experience?
Finances run by guys ripping off the system
Clintons back in control as SOS?

And what is going to transpire is anyone howling loud enough will get silenced..

The entire Illinois political machine has just moved in lock stock and barrel to Washington and I can hardly wait to hear "well we did not think he was going to change that"

hang on... someone at my door.....

Here y'all go.

C'mon there is dirt on EVERYONE. If you pull out yer shovel and start digging you can find something.

Y'all keep having fun being doo-doo chasers!!

But I'm just saying though ...................

:whistle:

I'm sure y'all know my political stand on things. However, I'm waiting to see how this one plays out before passing judgement. At the time the taxes were not paid, he was working for an international organization. That organization did not pay the employer side of employee taxes as US companies do. The unpaid taxes may have been unintensional due to ignorance of the tax law in that situation. Ironic though that he will be over the IRS if he's sworn in.

Yeah, well that International stuff DIDN'T work for me (I worked for the UN in Africa until 2004 - and will leave again this year) . If MY Accountant knew that, surly a Person who is smart enough :rofl: to run the Treasury does ! These guys just don't pay ANYTHING unless they're caught. And then it's, "O" it's just a mistake, I never knew I owed TAXES :laugh: ! Infact, if your not out of the US for at least 362 straight days, YOU OWE.

Give me a Break, HE KNEW, he just didn't want to PAY ! :rant:

Here y'all go.

C'mon there is dirt on EVERYONE. If you pull out yer shovel and start digging you can find something.

Y'all keep having fun being doo-doo chasers!!

But I'm just saying though ...................

:whistle:

Typical Demicrat BS...don't point a finger in someone elses direction as
an excuse for "the favorites" wrong doings...don't give me the everybody does
it so it's o.k.

I don't do it and it's not o.k.

I have been thinking about changing parties though...
there are obvious benfits to being demicrat...
NOTHING IS EVER YOUR FAULT...excuses abound.

this entire appointment list of people so far looks mostly like the moving in of the "good ole boys I owe favors too"

The entire Illinois political machine has just moved in lock stock and barrel to Washington and I can hardly wait to hear "well we did not think he was going to change that"

It's not the entire Illinois political machine, just the Chicago end of the Illinois political machine. I've seen how it works for years, I know what's coming. Sit back and enjoy, it will be an entertaining four years, trust me.

It's not the entire Illinois political machine, just the Chicago end of the Illinois political machine. I've seen how it works for years, I know what's coming. Sit back and enjoy, it will be an entertaining four years, trust me.

I think it would be "entertaining" if I lived in another country,
I don't think it'll be enjoyable dealing with the BS that's about
to come down the pipe. I was thinking of a different word.

I find it hard to believe that this country elected a Senator with
ZERO experience from the most corrupt political machines (outside of DC)
in the country as President. :banghead:...and surprise, he's bringing most
of the garbage with him.

I'm surprised the Govenor didn't lock up a position...to bad the news media
spilled it first. :rofl: So it's not just Chicago...look their idiotic gun laws:banghead:

Chicago's view on guns, yeah wait til that hits the national stage.

Now here's something to think about. A person from Chicago goes from a nobody to president in a few short years. Chicago politics are corrupt, not an opinion but it's a fact, to get anywhere in an arena like that you have to be able to play the game. If you don't play the game you get nowhere, yet there is a majority in this country that aren't willing to accept it for what it is.

Just wait til the feds sink their claws into Blago real good after he's ousted from office. When they have him by the short hairs and he starts to sing it will get real interesting.

Back