track in MD?

samw5

Registered
Ok I've never done this before but since purchasing the busa I'm getting more and more nervous of getting pulled over... you get way past what's legal way too soon.

So I figured maybe finding a local track would help.

I was wondering what's available, for how much and where.

Basically how to get started to be able to ride a bit faster (I'm not looking at comp type of riding, just a bit more knee dragging) yet do it legally, and w/o blowing my limited budget.

Also what kind of gear/bike setup is needed for those track runs?

Where you at in Md? I moved away from there a year ago but still know some good places to ride without the worries

right in baltimore tryin not to get shot
smile.gif

1rst tip. GET OUTTA B-MORE!!!!!!!

for a really nice track, run up at summit point, in western md. Track days are cheap and if you go to a day during the week the track is sometimes empty.
As for places to ride, head south towards annapolis. Hit the back roads of edgewater, davidsonvillle, most back roads in southern Md. are pretty 5.0 free. You can run them all the way down to the southern point of Md. If really willing to make a ride go all the way down Rt4 get on there ferry take to Eastern shore back up the shore of the bay (REAL nice riding).
Go west to towards fredrick make some runs around thurmont, clearsprings, walkersville, woodsboro, union bridge, you get the idea, very good places to air it out.
If you ever get out on a tues, thurs or the weekend, head down to Rockville. On 355 near, White Flint mall is a Barnes and noble book store, Bikes, compacts and race cars meet up there, follow them guys around they will show you where the Good roads are.
If you looking for Tracks get ahold of my Buddy who works at Heyser Cycle in Laurel, (ryan in sales). Tell him that Darrell (guy how lived around the corner from his parents) says hi and ask him where the good tracks are. he races or raced on simi pro circut.

I will be at Summit Main next week on the 2nd of Aug. Its about an 1 hour and a half trip for ya. You should come on down and watch. Its a track day being offered by Roger Lyle Sportbike excitement days.

(Big E @ Jul. 25 2007,19:15) I will be at Summit Main next week on the 2nd of Aug.  Its about an 1 hour and a half trip for ya.  You should come on down and watch.  Its a track day being offered by Roger Lyle Sportbike excitement days.
Can you get in just to watch ?

How far from Delaware (about an hour north from B-MORE) I would love to come, and watch just to check it out.

Maybe we could get a few of us to ride together, and check it out ?

Hey Kenny,

I thought your bike was all bent and busted up?

Also, Cecil Dragway is about 20 min down 95 into MD if you are looking for some speed times..

BF

Cool, I just checked out Summit Point. Looks sweet. The site says that it's about 1.5h from Baltimore.

Not much riding around here for sure and since I moved down not too long ago I haven't seen much yet.

I will definitely try to hit the roads down to Oceancity and the Eastern shore. I have yet to head that way.

I will try to drop by Heyser Cycle and check it out.

I don't think I'll be able to make it next weekend, I'm going to NYC this weekend and down to Williamsburg on Tuesday (on the busa of course). I may try the weekend after if weather permits... been enjoying the cooler temps, not used to ride in the 100s yet.

Oh and ya I forgot but are there any restrictions on track days? I mean do you need full leather, race prepped bike or can I ride with regular mesh armored pants and jacket? Also can the bike be slightly modified? Only have a TRE and modded stock exhaust (bit louder and the small inner tip was remove so it appears to have a larger outlet).

Last time i was at summit point i needed a helmet (DUH), Boots, gloves and at least jacket, but i have heard now you need full leather, that could have been a lye though. Havent been there in about 3 years.

Word of Caution, Watch for COPS in OC and around Salisbury. The dont like BIKES at all.

But like i said before check out around fredrick and Annapolis. Lots of good raods around there.

One good shot. Rt 50. run from 495 to annapolis. Then come back on 450 Hang out at the Annapolis docks thats always a good time
wink.gif

We are up here in Finksburg just outside of westminster md., and we ride to thurmont for breakfast and head up catoctin mtns. over into va. and down to smithsburg , boonsboro, harpers ferry and back up thru frederick and home, Great ridin.
We also leave 6 am and ride to O.C for breakfast ( I LOVE CRAPES @ Bay side skillet)and turn around and ride back ( 400 miles for eats ) Great ridin if you look, we start morn. for breakfast some where and create a map of average 200 mile circle.
We even found a 35 mile "circle" of roads for a quick relaxing twisties ride.
Ps. headin to the dragon Monday for our honeymoon
SHOCKED.gif

oh that sounds fun and doesn't look like i'd be too far for me either. how often do you do this? like i said before i'll be gone for the next couple of weekends but i'd love to run something like this.

Oh and what's the dragon you speak about??? i've read a few posts now about it, with some pix of badly injured tires... am I expecting to run thru a set of tires in 1 day?

thanks for all the great ideas/locations!
Sam

hey busasweety, i've seen you two riding down RT 140
when you get back from honeymoon look me up . we
can go for a ride. three 06 le's together.lol
beerchug.gif

ah... i guess my 04LE's gonna stick out like a soar thumb!!! i bet i'd get pulled over faster too...

Back