Track riding

Bjamin0325

Registered
My mom has been really stubborn about me getting a bike.  I told her I would start with a beginner bike.  They still didn't bite.  She said the only way she would let me get one before I'm out of college would be if I only rode it at the track.  Legally, I guess I could go get one, but they're paying my tuition, so I don't really want to get cut off.  My question is this: Would it be realistic to try and do ALL my riding at a track.  Would the cost be astronomical?

Also, what do you think of the FZ6 as a beginner bike?

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but you guys are the most helpful bike guys I've found.

Thanks for any help.

First some background:
Do you have ANY previous cycle riding experience at all? Motocross previous bikes, friends bikes?
You need to take the MSF class:
http://www.msf-usa.org/
Next, are you planning on motorcycle 'racing' as a hobbie or just wanna ride around town?
Oddly, your mom is correct that track riding is mush safer than street riding... AND it's a heck of a lot more fun too!!!!
I know the SUZ SV650 is touted as a great beginner bike review wise, and I have ridden it, it is very easy and fun. Can't comment on the FZ6
Finally, is it economical to only track ride? Personally, I do not think so, but depends on your situation. For me track days would be at LEAST $140 a pop, then there is tire wear and replacement charges.
...something to get this conversation rolling... :)

VERY GOOD course. Teaches you to re-learn driving and shows you how bad a car driver you really are too. :)
Depending where you are located, this NESBA.com thang has a free 2-session track day for beginners. I HIGHLY recommend it.
http://nesba.com/Events/free_events.asp

Good luck with the folks whatevr you do. And to avoid pizza face [pizza body] wear a helmet, leathers, gloves, boots. I rolled off my bike the other day and didn't get a scratch on me

Definitely do the beginner's course... And I think track would be a cool way for you to start. It would be a fantastic hobby and would teach you stuff that would normally take years to learn on the road!

I agree with WWJD, the SV650 is an awesome starter bike, but... It may not be the perfect track starter bike. FZ6 sounds good, as is the Bandit 6.

Good-luck,
Rip

If momsy is serious about the track thing, and is willing to pony up for the lessons [tracks require certification of sorts] then "HECK YEAH!"   Go for the track.  Oracle knows all - you WILL learn technique in a day that could take you months or even years.

Find the very closest track to yoru location, surf to their website and you should find info about cycle track days, the differnet classes and groups that ride.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "I just like babbling"|1066400650 -->

I feel it's not a good idea to start riding on the track before having some experience on the street. I've seen guys with very limited street experience riding on the track, and it wasn't pretty.

I think it's important to nail down all the basics of reasonably aggressive riding (I am talking about reflexes, and it takes time to acquire ones) before going to the track. Otherwise, it might scare you.

Just MSF is not gonna cut it. I see too much praising for MSF. It is definitely a good thing, but it is designed to teach very basics of riding, and kind of give a rider the right direction. But, it takes some riding time to become one with the bike.

Not being able to hold the line at the track, going on/off with the throttle, God forbid using the front brake in panic while in turn, etc. not only may cause you run off the track or worse, but others may hit you from behind trying to pass you and thinking you would hold your line.

I witnessed quite a few of those.

So, in my opinion, just having MSF (I assume this is basic course, not ERC - Experienced Rider Course) and going to the track even in the slowest group - is a bad idea.

Wow, you make a VERY GOOD Point there IG. There IS alot to learn to do for a total noob. I don't know what, if any this guy has so maybe TOTAL LEARNING on a track is a bad idea to start. It IS a great way to get a lot better once you are a decent rider. Very well put! :)

IG, track days round here segregate riders, beginners, intermediate, advanced, expert(racers) as do most tracks. beginners getting on the track with racers is not a good idea and thats not what I meant, but using your logic, it would be safer for all involved if a beginner was to crash on the track with traffic flowing in the same direction as opposed to, say, hitting a semi head on?

sorry to say but I think the track is the safest environment to learn how to ride a sport bike as you can learn accelerating, breaking and stopping aspects, BEFORE you get on the road with TWO way traffic. I dont recomend anyone to ride with heavy traffic in the rain untill they have mastered breaking and cornering out of harms way, seems the track is a great place for that. if you have never done a track day before, stay OFF the line untill you can get up to speed, depending on the track there may be somewhere off course, infeilds or out of bounds areas you can practice braking and cornering, or just learning how to let the clutch out and going? just ask! read up on doing track days....

Twisted, I see your point. I've been doing track days for 2 years with TeamPromotion. They are great, and very consious about safety, and riders are always divided into groups.

First timers have to take mandatory ART-BASIC course (Advanced Rider Training) which includes some class time between sessions. Control riders would lead such a group for a few sessions at a pretty slow pace. But, after a few sessions, you are on your own (of course, you can always ask for help).

I started doing track days after riding for more than a year, and after about 5000 miles.

On my first track day, I ran off the course 3 times, and got control riders very concerned. Just couldn't get the lines right. It was in May, perhaps cold weather didn't help, either.

But, I simply cannot imagine a person on the track with no riding experience.

I remember one guy who had very little riding experience, like a month or two, and he rented a Mille at the track. On the 2nd or 3rd session he wrecked the bike.

Based on my experience how things work, I still think it's not a good idea.

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066526461 -->

if you have zero experience, they should have a track day or session for begginners only or a instructor class for begginners only that use the track for practice. I agree dont get on the track with way faster riders and stay off the line if you cant get to speed with others, but too many people are getting hurt or killed on the streets due to lack of experience. in any event give your abilty an assesment before you put yourself in harms way...

I read the point being: someone with ZERO motocycle experience needs a couples months worth of seat time just to get used to handling a bike... starting in 1st, stopping properly, when to shift, how to turn, when to lean etc etc... the INTRO and BEGINNERS track sessions are for people who have never been on a TRACK before but usually assume SOME riding experience. Unless it's a TOTAL BEGINNERS BIKE class... I was a 'track noob' but had 4 years of riding experience... I STILL NEEDED to be in the INTRO class for my zero track experience. This is all intersting... I wonder what the questioner has decided to do?

I read the point being:  someone with ZERO motocycle experience needs a couples months worth of seat time just to get used to handling a bike... starting in 1st, stopping properly,  when to shift, how to turn, when to lean etc etc... the INTRO and BEGINNERS track sessions are for people who have never been on a TRACK before but usually assume SOME riding experience.  Unless it's a TOTAL BEGINNERS BIKE class...  I was a 'track noob' but had 4 years of riding experience... I STILL NEEDED to be in the INTRO class for my zero track experience.  This is all intersting... I wonder what the questioner has decided to do?
yeah, schwantz is a begginers course and they want you to have at least 1 year riding experience on street...

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I think I understand.  Since I can't be a total newbie on the track, I guess I'll wait a year, save up some money, and get an SVS then, if they're still making them.  I'll get enough experience, then take the track courses.

I appreciate the help.

Just my .02...
If BJ has no riding experience, the best place to start would be on the dirt.  A dirt bike is much more inexpensive than a street bike and is designed to be dropped. (something a new rider will almost definetly do)  The controls of a dirtbike are identical to a street and it will enable Bj to learn them with NO traffic around (oncomming or overtaking).  As we all know, having the controls be a second nature / reflexive response is mandatory on the street or track.  Another nice feature is when you crash, the dirt is more forgiving than the pavement.  This is also something a father (or mother!) and son (or daughter!) can do together to promote family bonding. :beerchug:

Wear gear and have fun!

yup, the dirt is an excellent place to learn the basic fundementals of riding, and you can do it out of harms way, go from there to the track, or roads where you are the only one occupying space... see what mom thinks bout that....

The MSF course is great,but I put my wife through it with mixed results.I was assured by everyone I asked that she would come out of it a safe rider.She learned a lot,but came out of it with a motorcycle license,but still could not ride.Took me some time before and after the course to get her going.

Back