GSXR750 versus GSXR1000 on the track

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I also have my eye on a track bike, but will probably go new, good prices for old models this time of the year.

For the non-professional rider, does one really need that extra power on the track? How many seconds faster lap times with a 1000?

Also, my daughter will be visiting from overseas, she rides track on a 600, and would love to ride here, think I would be more comfortable putting her on a 750, which should be OK for me on the track also.

Reference tells me the 750 Gizzer does the quarter around 10.6.

Track times aside, hate to say it but I had more fun on my Gixxer 750 than I have on any other bike...including the 1000 and 1340

PS:::Wouldn't give up the Busa for NUTTIN as a replacement, but a 750 would be my choice as a track bike~!~

Last edited:
Well as I understand it, if it's a race between the 750 and 1000, exiting a corner in to a straight, the 1000 wins every time, but in the corners 750's give everyone hell. To me the 750 is a perfect ballance between weight and power. I actually was wanting to get me a track bike and was planning on going with the 750 myself.

I've been shopping for a track bike also. Lots of good deals on CBRs, but I keep going back to the GSXR 750. The 1000s have a more comfortable riding position for the real world though.

But let's face it, how many of us could really push the bikes to their full potential :laugh:

A 750 is a good balance between a 600 (corners like hell) and a 1000 (gobs of horsepower).

I actually think 600 riders get to be better track riders quicker than those on higher horsepower bikes. Why? because lower HP bike riders have to better understand MOMENTUM thru the turns, a high HP bike rider makes up for cornering ability with accelleration on the straights. I still get passed by 600's all the time because the rider is better in the turns. I wanted a 1K because I wanted a bike that handled somewhat like my Busa; when you come out of a turn on a 1k or Busa you have to be careful about how much thottle you apply, as it's alot easier to disconnect the rear tire from the asphalt.

My STT Track coach buddy rides a 750 on Barber all the time. If we were drag racing, I'd have him, but we aren't drag racing :)

Last edited:
I take it you havent ridden on a track much?

You'll learn race craft quicker and easier on something your not fighting with quite so much, i have a 600 SRAD road/track bike and in all honestly, around a track, im quicker on the 600 than I was on my K7 1000 and certainly my Busa, thats not to say you wont enjoy either, its just that you dont NEED a litre track bike, a better rider on a 750 will trounce a middling litre bike rider purely on corner speed. 10.6 or 9.6 qtr mile matters a jot on the bendy bits..

My track instructor runs a modded SV650 and no one else on track got near him when he got down to it.

If you have the money and are prepared to pay for a new 750 which you will sling down the road at some point thats great but you dont need to spend that much to enjoy it, your better off buying a S/H prepped track bike.

I take it you havent ridden on a track much?

If you have the money and are prepared to pay for a new 750 which you will sling down the road at some point thats great but you dont need to spend that much to enjoy it, your better off buying a S/H prepped track bike.

Good post, thanks for the input.:thumbsup:
I like my girls to be unmolested virgins when I mount them the first time.:laugh:
Looking at the used bikes, the decent ones seem to hold their value well. I would rather pay a couple extra and know there will be no surprises.

Keep in mind your new 750 is only saving you a grand from the 1000. Also, keep in mind the 750 is not a good seller and when it's time to part ways with this new bike, the GSXR1000 will sell much faster as well as bring a better price so you'll get that extra grand back at resale time.

Having spent track time on numerous bikes, I can say the liter bikes are a ton more fun than the smaller bikes. If you can afford the extra grand for a liter bike and you are buying it for the fun factor, by all means do. There is nothing more fun on the track than a than a liter bike when you unleash that puppy and hang on until your eyes get big.

There is no doubt a liter bike will put you on your head faster than at rattler strike but so will the 600, just not as quick. You will learn how to get around the track faster on a smaller bike (ie. 600 or 750) but you won't have as much fun. Liter bikes are not as forgiving if you are ham fisted on the throttle but they do rate the highest marks on the fun factor scale.

IMO unless you have money to burn, buy a used track bike for half the money that is already set up for track use with proper brakes, suspension and track plastic. Buy new and you'll spend another 4 grand if you set it up properly for track use. You'll also save tax & license on a private party purchase.

Glad to see your interest in track time. You'll improve your skills tremendously for the track as well as the streets. :beerchug:

It all depends on the track. On a tighter track you might have trouble getting the power down on a 1K. For my size I would probably go with a 1K but you can have just as much fun and maybe learn more on a 600 or 750 for track-days! :thumbsup:

Keep in mind your new 750 is only saving you a grand from the 1000. Also, keep in mind the 750 is not a good seller and when it's time to part ways with this new bike, the GSXR1000 will sell much faster as well as bring a better price so you'll get that extra grand back at resale time.

Having spent track time on numerous bikes, I can say the liter bikes are a ton more fun than the smaller bikes. If you can afford the extra grand for a liter bike and you are buying it for the fun factor, by all means do. There is nothing more fun on the track than a than a liter bike when you unleash that puppy and hang on until your eyes get big.

There is no doubt a liter bike will put you on your head faster than at rattler strike but so will the 600, just not as quick. You will learn how to get around the track faster on a smaller bike (ie. 600 or 750) but you won't have as much fun. Liter bikes are not as forgiving if you are ham fisted on the throttle but they do rate the highest marks on the fun factor scale.

IMO unless you have money to burn, buy a used track bike for half the money that is already set up for track use with proper brakes, suspension and track plastic. Buy new and you'll spend another 4 grand if you set it up properly for track use. You'll also save tax & license on a private party purchase.

Glad to see your interest in track time. You'll improve your skills tremendously for the track as well as the streets. :beerchug:

The master speaks well, grasshopper....

Keep in mind your new 750 is only saving you a grand from the 1000.

I don't think you specified new...new I'd certainly go with the 1000, used I'd personally like to pick up a 750 again. Might not seem the same these days, but the ol 750's just seemed to be so much more fun.

I think after the 750 was sold, it just leaned towards the business side of bike life and took some of the fun out of it~!~

I don't think you specified new...new I'd certainly go with the 1000, used I'd personally like to pick up a 750 again. Might not seem the same these days, but the ol 750's just seemed to be so much more fun.

I think after the 750 was sold, it just leaned towards the business side of bike life and took some of the fun out of it~!~

Every novice rider will be faster on a 600 or 750 than on a liter bike. Expecially on a short track. However, if we are discussing fun, there is no comparison to the liter bike. Especially if you are running down a busa! :thumbsup:

The 1000 definitely helped out chasing down a big bore, no question about it...especially on an open course or double up, or climbing a steep grade.

1/8 mile was about 1/10 second faster on the 750 (from launching) but the liter bike is doing 8 mph faster across the finish line.

1/4 is a joke of a difference.

Speaking of double up...sending you a PM (Tuf)

My last $.02... A lot of my racing friends swear by the sv600 zuki's.... Like awesome to track.. low on plastics so if you ....when you lay it down.. etc.. Easy to mod and not a lot to take off for weight.

A 1000 is alot of fun but will get you in trouble ALOT quicker, You have got to be careful on a 1000, Ask me how I know:laugh:, You will defiantly have to learn smooth throttle control on a 1000 and like Tufbusa told me learn to count 1 thousand one 1 thousand 2 and so on coming out of corners or you WILL highside, Since you are just getting into track days I would probably try a 600 or 750 you can have just as much fun on a 600 and it might be a little more forgiving and then once ya get the hang of it after a year or two then jump up to a bigger bike, I have had several 600's pass me like I was sitting still. And then a couple pass me as I highsided the 1000 :laugh: But I really love my 1000 and wouldnt get rid of it for anything. So I might not be very helpful.

Sent from my computer.....

Last edited:
My vote is a used, aftermarketed 1000. I got on a GSXer 1000 from my Busa on the track and it felt like a 600! They are wonderful motorcycles and I believe the motor will last longer as well. Raydog

MF1A2669.JPG

MF1A0623.jpg

Back