Track day or Track school??

JET-A

Wishing I was riding
Donating Member
Registered
Sorry I have not posted here is a while. Been a bit busy with life.

I am considering getting some track time this summer, and have this question.

Would it be better for my first day to do a full track school, or just go with a track day possibly NESBA style??

I have lots of riding under my belt, have owned the busa for about 3 years, and just want to improve my skills.

I realize the track school is more expensive. Is it worth the extra cost for the first day? or would it be better to just get some track time then do the school setting?

Any one with experience?? Please??

Thanks,
Todd

I have not done a track school, but have 4 track days under my belt. If your track sponsor is a good one, you will have instructors there that will be able to give you lots of help and you will be able to have a lot of fun doing it.:beerchug:

If you can afford it do both. A track day with a good school will help you alot. A riding school will give you more one on one, with a little more school than a track day session. Are you near beaver run, or pocono racetrack. I'm with teampromotion, they are pretty good and offer one on one training also.:thumbsup:

All of the organizations in Texas all have a class associated w/ the track day unless you run racer level. 20 minutes on the track, 20 minutes in class, then 20 minute break - repeat.

If you can afford it do both. A track day with a good school will help you alot. A riding school will give you more one on one, with a little more school than a track day session. Are you near beaver run, or pocono racetrack. I'm with teampromotion, they are pretty good and offer one on one training also.:thumbsup:

I was online looking at the Beaver Run trackday for 6/1 through NESBA. I have not heard of teampromotion, but I am quite willing to learn. Just trying to get a feel for what would be best so I could make the proper arrangements.

I think Pococo would be an easier drive for me, but I didn't see any track days there for 2009. (It did say not all dates were posted.)

Shoot me a link or send me an e-mail to JET-A@msn.com I will look at everything I get.

Thanks,
Todd

Of all the track events I have attended, NESBA is my least favorite.

You would be much better off to attend a track/race school on your first visit. You'll have instruction for the entire day. The biggest advantage of a school is your instructor will spend the entire day with you developing good habits. If you just do a track day, you'll tend to develope some if not many bad habits that sometimes are hard to break.

Of all the track events I have attended, NESBA is my least favorite.

You would be much better off to attend a track/race school on your first visit. You'll have instruction for the entire day. The biggest advantage of a school is your instructor will spend the entire day with you developing good habits. If you just do a track day, you'll tend to develope some if not many bad habits that sometimes are hard to break.

Thanks Tufbusa.

That is the type of information I am looking for. While I would deny having ANY bad habits..... :laugh: we all know we have them.
While I look forward to the thrill of being on the track, my goal here is to improve my skill.

Todd

Right on Dude!! You will love the track. Listen to Tuf...he's the man. Then listen to the instructors and ride within yourself working on what the instructors are telling you. Plan on doing several track days this summer so you can really get a feel for it. It took me about half a dozen, with Tuf guiding me all the way, until the hook was really set and I just loved it. Seek out control riders and ask them for input...they will be happy to ride with you and help all they can.

I can recommend Keith Code Superbike School. Did level one this past fall and it was GREAT! Excellent from the registration to packin' up to go home. One caveat: You will probably get LESS track time at a school than at a simple track day, but the education received will, IMHO, make ALL of your track time, at the school and in the future, much more beneficial and fun. If your primary goal is to learn and improve, use a school.

Best of luck!

This was the format for my first track day and I was great. You get a chance to learn in between track times and then go back out and work on it. If the track program is worth a crap the instructors will catch somethings and make you follow them to see how you can do it better.

All of the organizations in Texas all have a class associated w/ the track day unless you run racer level. 20 minutes on the track, 20 minutes in class, then 20 minute break - repeat.

Do the school and learn what you don't know or think you know.
You get as much track time in the school as those that do just a trackday (talking about fastrack riders trackday organization personal experience). Format of school/trackday is usually the same if it is a group level type of trackday and not a always hot always open trackday.

Where you are thinking of going is it a level format or always hot lap type of trackday?

If you just want to go have fun and not worrry about fast lap times and proper technique then just go do a trackday and save some money.

My primary concern with all of this is to improve my riding skills. I still want to have as much fun as possible as well.

I am in Pennsylvania, so I was looking, first, at some of the more local tracks. That said, flying somewhere ot do the school is not out of the question either. I simply want the biggest bang for my buck, as always.

I have looked at the NESBA website, the teampromotion site, and a few of the "school" sites. I am trying to see what fits into my wants and schedule best. I am trying to get this to fit into one of my vacation weeks this summer.

This is all great information. Anyone with personal experience with any of the schools, please let me know what your thoughts on that particular school.

If your primary concern is to improve your skills then I would suggest doing a school. You'll get proper instruction and real time application of the techniques. I did California Super Bike School held by Keith Code at Mid Ohio. He usually does it the Monday following Honda Super Bike races. You have an option of using their Ninjas or your own bike. For optimal real experience I chose to run my bike and I think I got more out of it. I'm always amazed at all the things guys and gals do to their bikes but the one most important thing that they can do to minimize their risks when riding a motorcycle (rider eductaion) many don't bother doing. Unfortunately some of those riders aren't around anymore. Spend the time and money and learn how to go faster under better control. Wardie

My primary concern with all of this is to improve my riding skills. I still want to have as much fun as possible as well.

I am in Pennsylvania, so I was looking, first, at some of the more local tracks. That said, flying somewhere ot do the school is not out of the question either. I simply want the biggest bang for my buck, as always.

I have looked at the NESBA website, the teampromotion site, and a few of the "school" sites. I am trying to see what fits into my wants and schedule best. I am trying to get this to fit into one of my vacation weeks this summer.

This is all great information. Anyone with personal experience with any of the schools, please let me know what your thoughts on that particular school.

I did Keith Codes SB School, Level 1 on their ZX-6R, last Fall at VIR. GREAT experience. Day started at 7:30 am w/registration and "breakfast", class began at 8:30 with an orientation. The agenda for the day was to cover five individual skills/components of cornering. This was done via five cycles of CLASSROOM Instruction > TRACK session w/on track coaching > DEBRIEFING w/on track coach immeidately following track session > BREAK. Very effective and very fun! I wished for more track time but with this schedule I was NEVER tired or overwhelmed or stressed at any point. The whole day was just lot's of learning and lot's of fun! I also paid the $20 to get my lap times for the day to measure my improvement. Day ended about 4:30.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck!

Back