Merry Christmas to me (Track School)

Rick Ekstrom

Registered
Wifey surprised me with a gift certificate to Jennings GP Track School in Jennings Florida. Im so excited to do this, it has been a dream come true that I have wanted to do since my first Busa back in 2001.

I know alot of you have done this and I am open to comments for things I should know or get prepared for. I just have to pick a date and time (probably in March) and then I'm off loading up and hitting the road.

I let you know how it turns out when I return. Hopefully I will be in one piece along with the bike....lol

Rick

Congrats! Just be careful and take it slow. You ride harder for too long when you are in the learning stage and you tend to have an accident. Some bad and some light. I got a light lesson while riding on my own :laugh: but I have seen some guys learn with a totalled bike at bike courses.

There are some good vids of Jenning out there including some with pro racers doing laps - You might wanna look into those.

Make sure you look up the site of the provider and read all the rules about bike prep, riding gear, etc., and be prepared.

Brand spanking new set of rubber is highly recommend (I prefer the Q2)

Get in some form of decent shape. 20 minutes at fast pace combined with the moving around you do will wear you out I promise.

Wifey has no idea what she has done, until you get back and want to reserve trackdays every month, buy a track-only bike, start watching MOTOGP, etc....ask Twobrothers :)

Lastly, DON'T CRASH it sucks!

Track time is great gift! You'll learn more on the track than in a lifetime of street riding. Enjoy, and pics or it never happened.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good words of wisdom. Looking forward just to get out there and learn. Ive been driving all kinds of motorcycles from sport to cruiser for 35+ years and just love sport riding. I know I will learn alot once on the track.

I know I can ride, just want to build the confidence on just how far and fast I can go while in a turn without crashing. I am tired of looking at my chicken strips.

I just put a set of Mich Road II's on not realizing I would be headed to the track 3 months later. :banghead: I guess I will have to take it easier with them

Rick you will have a blast. :thumbup:It is a totally different experience than the street- and very very addictive. Enjoy the Experience! Looking forward to hearing about it.

You will be addicted. Track days are so much fun
all

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Now thats a woman who loves her man, Track lessons are the best way to keep you safe on the streets. My buddy took lessons last year and now he has purchased all his gear (dude rode with flipflops once) and he speeds no more. Hope it lasts

I just put a set of Mich Road II's on not realizing I would be headed to the track 3 months later. :banghead: I guess I will have to take it easier with them

Congratulations young man. You are about to step into a world totally unknown in your past.

My best suggestion would be to replace those touring tires with something like the Q2's or equilavent. Your chance of falling down is probably tripled with touring tires.

Other points I may suggest is look your instructor in the eye and listen intently to what he is saying. Don't interupt and waste time by giving him lame excuses as to why you ride like you do. He has heard all these excuses in the past and you are wasting his time which you are paying for. When the instructor gives you specifics to work on, do your very best to concentrate on following his instructions.

A track school is a day of learning. If you are going as fast as you possibly can, you won't learn much. Slow it down a couple notches so you can concentrate on what you are doing. Consistency is much more important than speed. By showing your instructor how fast you can go is not going to impress a man who can lap you every five laps. When pushing your limits your mind is stressed and you'll learn little. You are also much more likely to crash when you exceed your limits of comfort.

Riding your motorcycle in a track environment is physically demanding. Your thighs will burn and you will probably sweat more than normal if you are working as hard as you should be. Drink lots of water the day before as well as the day of your event. Hydration is extremely important. Don't over indulge in caffeine or take energy stimulants the day before or the day of since they tend to dehydrate you. As Skydivr says, get yourself in decent physical condition or you'll most likely run out of gas before days end and you'll give up due to exhaustion.

The idea is to have a wondefully fun day and learn as much as you can. Not to see how fast you can go or see how many you can pass. The goal of the school is to send you home with more confidence as well as a safer rider.

Enjoy and take lots of photos to share with your Org friends. Oh, and we want to see photos of this mysterious woman that thinks you are cool enough to spend the hard cash on a track school for YOU! :laugh:

P.S. BT016's for $200 a set Cyclegear see recent thread - great trackday tires best price anyone's had lately!

Congratulations young man. You are about to step into a world totally unknown in your past.

My best suggestion would be to replace those touring tires with something like the Q2's or equilavent. Your chance of falling down is probably tripled with touring tires.

Other points I may suggest is look your instructor in the eye and listen intently to what he is saying. Don't interupt and waste time by giving him lame excuses as to why you ride like you do. He has heard all these excuses in the past and you are wasting his time which you are paying for. When the instructor gives you specifics to work on, do your very best to concentrate on following his instructions.

A track school is a day of learning. If you are going as fast as you possibly can, you won't learn much. Slow it down a couple notches so you can concentrate on what you are doing. Consistency is much more important than speed. By showing your instructor how fast you can go is not going to impress a man who can lap you every five laps. When pushing your limits your mind is stressed and you'll learn little. You are also much more likely to crash when you exceed your limits of comfort.

Riding your motorcycle in a track environment is physically demanding. Your thighs will burn and you will probably sweat more than normal if you are working as hard as you should be. Drink lots of water the day before as well as the day of your event. Hydration is extremely important. Don't over indulge in caffeine or take energy stimulants the day before or the day of since they tend to dehydrate you. As Skydivr says, get yourself in decent physical condition or you'll most likely run out of gas before days end and you'll give up due to exhaustion.

The idea is to have a wondefully fun day and learn as much as you can. Not to see how fast you can go or see how many you can pass. The goal of the school is to send you home with more confidence as well as a safer rider.

Enjoy and take lots of photos to share with your Org friends. Oh, and we want to see photos of this mysterious woman that thinks you are cool enough to spend the hard cash on a track school for YOU! :laugh:

Tufbusa, Thanks for the free coaching, it is much appreciated. I read alot of your posts and take them seriously when it comes to track talk. Im looking forward to this experience and will take your advise. I dont claim to be a know it all. I am their to learn not trying to be someone Im not.

Just wish I didnt have to change out the tires but if that's what it takes then so be it.

Oh yah, I tried to provide your request about the wifey picture but since the website has been updated, I cant figure out how to attach a pic any more on the reply. Oh well, thanks again for your advise and will let you know how it was. It wont be until May it looks like do to work and track schedules.

Here is the pic you requested of that special lady. Sorry I had to put my mug in it but that's all I could find at the moment

DSC00171.JPG

Back