Totalled my bike, who's selling?

fasteddieboy

Registered
I totalled my 2002 last night. Not even sure what happened was in 2nd gear at around 45mph and next thing I know the bike like seized up. Felt like the clutch or tranny froze up. Anybody ever heard of this. I did have aftermarket chrome levers and I'm wondering if that did anything to hurt my clutch. I don't have pics right now but the bike did end over end flips and tore up the whole bike and case. A little roadrash on my arm and knee but I'm fine. Just bike shopping now... I expect to get something for around $6k-7k. Thank goodness for collision ins. and I also have 3k aftermarket parts coverage which there is at least that. Anybody selling? The pics are on my gf's phone...I'll put them up later after work. She had to come give me a ride home and she loved my bike so shes a lil sad too..
What a bummer!:banghead:

Dang, glad it happened at a relative slow speed. Just glad you are ok.

Wow! glad you are OK, and glad that you had coverage.

Let us know if you figure out what caused it. What did it feel like, like the rear locked and the bike started fishtailing, or like the front locked and you went down? Did the engine just stop?

Did you chrome brake reservoir cover by any chance?

Lots of bikes going down the summer. Glad your ok, how bad was the damage?
Posted via Mobile Device

I did have chrome res. covers and It felt like the rear and front locked up... got me, I've had several downs and it's always been my fault, wheelies and such.... With this bike Ive just been trying to be responsible and take it easy on the street so that this would never happen! It all happened in the blink of an eye..I still can't figure out exactly what happened. I will go to the tow yard and look over the bike to see if I can find the cause. I'm not really sure which tire locked up because it happened so fast, just bucked me off!

The damage is very bad, both sides of the bike thrashed, front and rear also, exhaust destroyed, handle bars bent, poth pegs broke off, levers snapped, windsheild broke, case cracked pouring oil everywhere...you name it. It's def gonna be a total loss. What do they normally offer the bike back to you for in a total? I may be able to keep any good parts for future needs if it's worth it. Also my chrome frame covers made it out untouched!

I have a feeling the clutch seized up, possibly due to my chrome spiked levers that I just had to have... Lucky they didn't land on me! very sharp. I'm just afraid it wasnt engaging and disengaging the clutch properly...

I don't see how the lever could cause a lock up clutch wise. Only possibility I see would be it causing slippage. Brake side on the other hand could. But you would have to be applying pressure to the brakes at the time. Both are fluid and need pressure to operate.

i might be interested in selling my 2007. wanting a gen 2. but ive got to have $7500 firm for it. its got some extras and a built tranny (this year). let me know if your interested and ill send some pics

Even if the clutch/tranny did lock up, you would drag a rear tire, not flip a bike.. and that would require the tranny to lock up solid.... otherwise you would just be turning over the motor...

Couldnt really be the brakes as they fail open, not closed...

sounds almost like wheel bearings siezed to me... or something entangled in the front wheel (would have to be stupid strong to not snap if it did)

makes sense about the wheel bearings.I had a 2 stroke seize on me and it locked the rear wheel up and I slid sideways.Calipers can seize shut.It happens a lot on cars.

Even if the clutch/tranny did lock up, you would drag a rear tire, not flip a bike.. and that would require the tranny to lock up solid.... otherwise you would just be turning over the motor...

Couldnt really be the brakes as they fail open, not closed...

sounds almost like wheel bearings siezed to me... or something entangled in the front wheel (would have to be stupid strong to not snap if it did)

I have had brakes fail and bring me to a stop from 50mph in the middle of a 6 lane main blvd through my old city on my old ZX6. Not a super abrupt stop but it was not a fun situation. I think I had slightly pulled the brakes then they grabbed hard and didn't release. Dont know why they did it to this day. Pumping the brake didnt work immediately. They just released after a while :dunno:

makes sense about the wheel bearings.I had a 2 stroke seize on me and it locked the rear wheel up and I slid sideways.Calipers can seize shut.It happens a lot on cars.

I have had brakes fail and bring me to a stop from 50mph in the middle of a 6 lane main blvd through my old city on my old ZX6. Not a super abrupt stop but it was not a fun situation. I think I had slightly pulled the brakes then they grabbed hard and didn't release. Dont know why they did it to this day. Had to ridiculously pump the brake to get the hell out of the middle of the road.

To true, it CAN happen... but the brake has to be applied first in some manner, for them to sieze in a closed position.... Ie. the operator has to have pushed the brakes.

It requires hydraulic force to close those pistons, as they have to first overcome the force of the rotor pushing them back into the pots first... They under no circumstances will just close themselves...

if their isnt hydraulic pressure, those pistons arent moving, at worst, you might drag a brake pad...

Anyone who has ever changed brakes and pushed the pots back in by hand knows just how hard they are to move in or out...

sticking to my wheel bearing theory.... :beerchug:

Bad bearings make their wear known though, if you know what to feel and hear though.

You would think, but i have seen plenty of them go (in the racing world) without so much as a peep....

Don't disagree though, 9 times out of 10 there should be some warning...

However, bikes dont just do endo's for no reason either hehe...

To true, it CAN happen... but the brake has to be applied first in some manner, for them to sieze in a closed position.... Ie. the operator has to have pushed the brakes.

It requires hydraulic force to close those pistons, as they have to first overcome the force of the rotor pushing them back into the pots first... They under no circumstances will just close themselves...

if their isnt hydraulic pressure, those pistons arent moving, at worst, you might drag a brake pad...

Anyone who has ever changed brakes and pushed the pots back in by hand knows just how hard they are to move in or out...

sticking to my wheel bearing theory.... :beerchug:

Oh I am sure you are right. I was just giving my little experience on brake malfunctions :laugh:. In order for him to crash like that he would have had to grab his own brakes. They could not have just suddenly done that without him doing so like you said :beerchug:

If the wheel bearings had not been replaced that is very possible...

Back