Tires!

Lucky34

Registered
My Dunlop 208's are running low, and I'm gonna have to get new tires sometime in the rear future. So, What do you guys think is the best tire? Pilot Powers? Dunlops? BT's? Shinkos?
(I was at a bike shop and a guy that worked there was trying to tell me how great the Shinkos were... I've heard good things about their drag tires, but not sure about twistie riding...)
Also, what do you guys think would be the best for me? I use the bike for regular city driving, but I also like to hit the twisties and drag race... A lot!... so I need something that can do everything, but I'm most concerned about the twisties... I would rather buy a new tire every 200 miles than go down on a curve because the compound was too hard and not sticky enough)

sounds like you could use either a pair of BT 14's or BT 10's....

OR....

A pair of Avon Azaros...the 45/46 ST combo.

If you're looking for straight-up grip with no concern for longetivity, I'd say it'll be hard to beat Pirellis. The Pilot Powers aren't too shabby eithers, as are the Michelin M1's.

For a good combination of wear and grip, I'd go with the Avons first and then the BT14's or 10's second.

JMHO....
cool.gif

No care for wear? Alright then...

Go big...

Michelin Race-spec tires. Or the Pirelli Diablos for something a little more tuned down.

I think it would be hard to beat race-spec tires.....from any of the brands. Personally, I'd grab a set of the race-compound Metzlers or some high-end Pirellis.

Then I'd go with the Bridgestones...

My stock BT 56 was getting a little worn out in the middle so I went looking around for a new rear tire. The front tire is still in good condition. After shopping around and pulling in some favors I got myself into a BT014. Can you stay sticky!!!! I am still scrubbing the tire in, (its been raining here since Sunday and I got the tire mounted and balanced on Saturday) I was being careful to take it easy but so far I am liking what I see. The BT014 has some nice sipes on it for wet weather handling and is nice and soft. If money is no issue go with a michelin power race. You can choose the type of tire compound you want.

BPW

Ran Pirelli Dragon SuperCorsas on my ZX9. Super-soft in front, soft in rear. Outstanding performance! Don't know how they would do on these heavier bikes though.

My 12 came with Dunlops, the rear being a 200. So I switched it to a 190/60 Dunlop 208 GPA (race compound) and it works great! Taller sidewall lifts the rear for a little quicker steering. It makes the bike feel 50 lbs lighter than the 200mm on quick transitions and it is less prone to the run-wide at the exit feeling.

Here's what it looks like... Look Ma! No chicken strips!
tounge.gif

You can see the added sidewall height here... R1's can't run them, they rub the swing arm. But the 12 and Busa have longer swingarms, so they fit nice.

Tires5.jpg

from reading and experience, you can't go wrong with:

Michelin Pilot Power
Pirelli Diablo
Metzeler M1
Bridgestone BT014
Avon something or other

The 208's I had two years ago sucked. Local shop sold tons to local squids since they were good and spinnable. They spun everytime I twisted the Busa throttle. Maybe they are better now. They seem very popular.

I can't recommend RACE tires for street use, but many here seem to like them. RACE tires require more aggressive warm up and 'heat cycling' to chemically alter their compound than 95% of riders will ever see on the streets. Street tires are designed for better stick right out of the garage. They are also designed for rain, potholes, comfort, safety etc

I'm still partial to the Metzeler Sportec M1's. I've been having them for almost two years now, and the treadwear is great. I do a lot of different riding, but I do ride very hard most times. I run them at the track also. Very good tire.

WWJD; I agree and have been unhappy with street compound Dunlops in the past. The stock rear one does spin so hard, it wouldn't even let me clutch up a wheelie. Then when you push them, they get all greasy and slide.

But, set up the way it is now, I'm plesantly suprised at the front tire's performance. Have a pair of Metz. race take offs waiting to go on next to see how they do.

Generally I would agree about a around-town driven bike and your comments about race compound tires. I am fortunate to live in Ca's high desert, where the weather is hot and the roads are clean and dry 99% of the time. They would not be recommended for winter use regardless.
wink.gif

I cannot say enough good things about the Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa's. Again, have yet to put a set on the 12. But on the 9, they felt great and stuck like glue and even lasted a reasonably long time.

EbayK5.jpg

Nice bike Brakelate! Do you go qith 180 for turn in or is that stock? When I had a 180 on my bus, it fell into turns REAL LIGHT like a 600. I'm a HUGE Pirelli fan myself. So far nothing has stuck like my Diablos. Even tried to spin it in a downpour just for kicks and it wouldn't!
biggrin.gif
I'm jealous of your freakin clean clear roads!! hahahahahah

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "I see it's a 9"|1124369110 -->

Metzler M1-P, it is specifically designed for the busa and is rated at a 190 but is measured at a 198. I don't have any probs with traction at the track with this tire and it seems to have a good life (i will be happy with 1500 miles the way i ride).

Back