Tires..when are they too old

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have an 05 with 5,000 miles on it and the original tires. Now that I'm past a couple of back surgeries and am riding more, I'm wondering how old is too old to go 180 on a tire. They look great, but I don't know what the shelf life is. If one blows at that speed, I would guess it's all over.

I can't remember exactly when I bought the bike, but I'd guess the tires are at least 2 and 1/2 years old. By next spring, figure more than 3 years old.

You got 5000 miles on original tires!!!

My '06 has 7000 on the clock and I am on my third set...

You must do some serious cruising!!

I replace them and the stems... $220 worth of rubber is a small price to pay for piece of mind!

tires also have birthdate ....but 3 years is a while....i change mine once a year at 150 u blow a front wheel and the damage to u and the bike is more than that, let alone death,...on a car its diff
beerchug.gif

Depends on alot of things. Has it been in sun light all along? Dark dry,storage? 3 years no problem. Read the DOT 3#'s last # year next 2 week of the year it was made. Peace of mind priceless!
beerchug.gif

Change is simple, 1) When you get to the wear marks and 2) put a penney head first in any of the center grooves , if you can see the TOP of Abe's head, change !! Or measure and it's 1.6 mm for the front and 2 mm for the rear  
beerchug.gif

ji think im gonna be lucky to to get 3k out of mine i've got 1950 miles on the bike and that rear tire is looken a lil tired but i've got a spare set of pirellis sitting in my apartment so i don't really care when they go

you know why some of us get more miles, maybe cause we are the ones who respect our bikes!!
bowdown.gif
BUSA
bowdown.gif
and then if you are me and cant afford to replace everything every year.........

Steve

bowdown.gif

Well, I did about 150 mph on this yesterday. She was getting old but no wrinkles when I started... this is what she looked like when I finished.  
wow.gif

Throttle happy  
rock.gif

2500 miles BTW
Hard to get any more than that out here with the rock/gravel tops our roads have... sure helps them bite but chews them up prtty good.

IMG_0710_edited__Small_.jpg

(TXBusa05LE @ Sep. 16 2007,18:41) Got 10k miles on my OEM rear...changed it yesterday...
What do you do... Push your bike every where?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I kid! I think the most I have gotten from a rear is 2300 miles but I ride it till around 3000...

My fronts go at least 5500 before I get a little worried but I stretch it sometimes...

I don't think tires degrade that fast unless you leave them in a bad storage area...

But I am a firm believer in better safe than hurt.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

A great man once told me....

'son, if you get more than 3500 miles outta your tires, you should be riding a cruiser'

egitarre77.gif

Who was that great man?
He** I dunno, I was drunk and it was dark - at the Spring Bash...

Hey now, I got 8000+ out of that stock rear and am now pushing 9000+ on the second rear tire in 4 years!!
biggrin.gif

I know of a member on here that got 14,000 on the stock rear, but to this day, he refuses to be ridiculed for it
laugh.gif

Back