Tires..when are they too old

Anyone getting 8,000-14,000 miles is riding like grandma even if they think they're not. You can't run WOT and get that many miles. I got 4,000 on OE tire (cords peaking), 4,300 on Metzler M3 (could have had more but needed a front so I got a f/r set), now running the Dunlop Qs front and rear and it feels like a completely different bike. Will likely get the 190/55 rear next time around.

If a tire is stored properly (no sun, no excessive heat or cold) it should be fine for years. But on your bike it is exposed to all the elements of the road. If it still has plenty of tread ride it out.

Then call me Grandma!
laugh.gif
At least I'm not spending $$$ in tires...life is good
biggrin.gif

(VaBusa @ Sep. 17 2007,09:36) Then call me Grandma!  
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
And call me Grandpa...mo money, mo money, mo money...
laugh.gif

I could have probably squeezed another 1k out of it too, so that would have made 10,848 miles...

laugh.gif

(TXBusa05LE @ Sep. 17 2007,10:56)
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
And call me Grandpa...mo money, mo money, mo money...
laugh.gif

I could have probably squeezed another 1k out of it too, so that would have made 10,848 miles...
Sorry bro but you arn't going to get 10k out of the new one riding the way we did yesterday
race.gif

super.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
Nothing WRONG with riding like grandma, just that some tires aren't made from magic pixie dust to make them last longer. Super aggressive riders toast them out before 3,000 for the easy riders it's more like 10,000+. Your mileage is evidence of how you ride...the tires don't lie.

(8Daytona8 @ Sep. 16 2007,15:15) Depends on alot of things. Has it been in sun light all along? Dark dry,storage? 3 years no problem. Read the DOT 3#'s last # year next 2 week of the year it was made. Peace of mind priceless!
beerchug.gif
You are saying the last 3 digits? The first two are the year and last one is the week?

(Over_Easy @ Sep. 17 2007,14:17)
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
Nothing WRONG with riding like grandma, just that some tires aren't made from magic pixie dust to make them last longer. Super aggressive riders toast them out before 3,000 for the easy riders it's more like 10,000+. Your mileage is evidence of how you ride...the tires don't lie.
I just ride...I like speed, I like cruising, I like being first and sometimes I'm last...I'm not out to prove anything or show off to anyone...absolutely nothing wrong with having tires last longer than others...it's no secret I'm not a canyon carver - don't even have canyons around here to give it a shot
laugh.gif

But, I also know guys that refuse to fess up in public forums that have gotten miles from that rear tire too, and they do ride...not "track day" riding, but they're not some old farts in the fast lane waiting to turn left 18 miles up the road
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

(FAVahalik @ Sep. 17 2007,15:14)
(8Daytona8 @ Sep. 16 2007,15:15) Depends on alot of things. Has it been in sun light all along? Dark dry,storage? 3 years no problem. Read the DOT 3#'s last # year next 2 week of the year it was made. Peace of mind priceless!
beerchug.gif
You are saying the last 3 digits? The first two are the year and last one is the week?
Got a new one today, the born on date is 26 (week)of 07 (2607) As far as yawl tire shreaders go! Any sticky will wear out in half the time as a BT56 and there is a big diff on where it was made! I got 5K out of the OEM rear BT, but i have 12K as of today, my stinko 009 Raven has another K to go B4 i plan on changing it. Changed the OEM front yesterday @ 11850 and still could have gone more.

(TXBusa05LE @ Sep. 17 2007,03:29)
(The Big Red One @ Sep. 17 2007,00:41)
(bigoltool @ Sep. 16 2007,17
zzwhip.gif
)
(BusaBret @ Sep. 16 2007,15:51)
(TXBusa05LE @ Sep. 16 2007,15:41) Got 10k miles on my OEM rear...changed it yesterday...
eek2.gif
eek2.gif

eek2.gif

eek2.gif

10 K? Mine was shot at 2900.
Somebodies a big fat liar!!!  
laugh.gif
I lied, it had 9848 when I took the wheel off...
guns.gif
Just to clarify things Tex...we are talking about a busa rear tire aren't we?
laugh.gif
I'm thinkin' maybe you have this confused with a GS500 thread
wow.gif
tounge.gif

I'm a fairly conservative rider...not too many twisties and quite abit of cruising, plus I live at 5000 ft in elevation so I'm down quite abit on power. And I still only got 4800 out of my stock rear. I'm thinkin' maybe 2/3's of your mileage was done on a rear stand with the bike running in gear? Fess up...just between me and you....I promise no one else will ever find out
wink.gif

eek2.gif

eek2.gif

eek2.gif

laugh.gif

ok i got 4500 out of oem ...then i got 6000 out of my shenko ravens then i got about 2500 out of my diablo's. now i am back to the shenko's

Somehow I'm thinking these guys getting 2500 out of a stock rear are doing a few burnouts here and there...

I'm a big heavy guy and I do a fair ammount of WOT pulls in 1st and 2nd to redline... I get the front off the ground (without clutching) almost every day I ride... and my stock rear is looking like it'll make it pretty close to 5000 if not past.

Either that or I'd say hotter weather (hotter roads) + different (rougher) surfaces = faster wear. It's pretty cool up here even in the summer... so who knows.

Back