Dunlop Q2s and Age

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Let me start by saying I have many days of time on track with the Dunlop Q2. It is a great over all performer and to date has never let me down. However, this last weekend I spent too many times going "oh crap" for that split second when the tire spools up a bit on a heavy fist corner exit. I monitor tire temps and pressures to a fault and everything was equal this weekend except for one thing.

I found my best deal on line for the Q2 and what it got me was a tire that appeared to be in great shape, but was over 2 years old since manufacture. (all others I have used were under a year at the most...I don't know how either where stored)

I don't know if a ham fist on the throttle or a bit of an older tire may have been my trouble but Skydivr was running the same times on the Dunlop GPAs and didn't experience the same issue. I guess comparing a street tire to a race tire is not a good comparison, but the Q2 spooled up waaaay too many times this past weekend. (and for the record, once is too many!)

I guess I've come to learn that confidence on track is a head game that doesn't care about facts or records but is a measure of the riders faith in his abilities and equipment for the day. Anybody else have any "old tire" experience to share?

Charlie, I think most of my Q2's are at the 2 year mark, so it should be interesting next trackday and I'm running them.

I had a blast with the GPA's (they were 2 years old too), except that they wore down too fast. Had to flip the rear after the first day, and by the end of the 2nd day they were toast....Front may have some life left...

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

Charlie, I myself run Q2s at trackdays! What I think is happening to you, is you are now getting closer to the available grip of the tire, with the speed you are now going. Also, getting on the throttle sooner will have it step out more with the pace you are trying to accomplish. What I am trying to say is you are now coming closer to the limits of the tire and need to be smoother. Going to a race tire with more grip will allow you to do more, with it giving up its life quicker like Kieth's use of Race rubber. I had the Q2's squirm and slide around once I started going at an A rider pace. I had the gsxr sliding the rear 3"-6" a few times trying to get on the throttle a bit to quickly. I just had to slow my throttle hand a little, and make sure I was more vertical before gving it more gas! Hope this helps!

Charlie, I think most of my Q2's are at the 2 year mark, so it should be interesting next trackday and I'm running them.

I had a blast with the GPA's (they were 2 years old too), except that they wore down too fast. Had to flip the rear after the first day, and by the end of the 2nd day they were toast....Front may have some life left...

That front is cooked quite well Mr. SKYDVR!
TwoBB,
Did you make any suspension/gearing changes? Like you said could be a storage issue and like also said your ability is bettering the available grip.

I've got 3 sets of Q2's left, and after that I'm thinking about going to the real deal permanently for track use.

No other changes on the bike. Spooling up the tire may just be the ham fist twisting the go grip on the right side, but it had not done it so many times in the past with newer rubber. Hard to say. We'll see when Keith goes to run his two year old Q2s...

That front is cooked quite well Mr. SKYDVR!
TwoBB,
Did you make any suspension/gearing changes? Like you said could be a storage issue and like also said your ability is bettering the available grip.

Welcome back TBB, but don't think your nickname is over. You are still Sir Dropsalot in my book :poke:

might as weel throw in my experience. I haven't run a 2 year old Q2 but have NEVER had one slide on me. This must clearly show that I am not on the throttle hard enough or soon enough....

You're gonna look funny pitting over on the side with no power....

Welcome back TBB, but don't think your nickname is over. You are still Sir Dropsalot in my book :poke:

might as weel throw in my experience. I haven't run a 2 year old Q2 but have NEVER had one slide on me. This must clearly show that I am not on the throttle hard enough or soon enough....

I'll probably lose those 2 seconds I gained Charlie...

Charlieman, welcome to the big league!

There is nothing wrong with the tire. The issue is in your right hand. Your two year old tire is fine. Mount that puppy and spank it. Your Q2's in proper hands will run mid-pack in any club race. Go to a Jason Pridmore school and watch what the Q2 is capable of in skilled hands. You'll learn where you fit into the pecking order. Better yet, hop on the back when Jason is giving two up rides on a gixxer1K shod with Q2's.

At our 2-fast school we have a class on "Powerband management"! You should take it!

Your rear suspension has a great deal to do with tire spin. Swingarm angle and chain pull determines how planted the tire is. However, that stock gixxer you are on will spin any tire on any day. It's up to you to manage that spin!

Riding motorcycles is a learning curve with no end!

I'm pretty sure I don't like your answer...I want infinite grip! I have a set of S20s on order from STG, we'll see how they fare for my track time.

Charlieman, welcome to the big league!

There is nothing wrong with the tire. The issue is in your right hand. Your two year old tire is fine. Mount that puppy and spank it. Your Q2's in proper hands will run mid-pack in any club race. Go to a Jason Pridmore school and watch what the Q2 is capable of in skilled hands. You'll learn where you fit into the pecking order. Better yet, hop on the back when Jason is giving two up rides on a gixxer1K shod with Q2's.

At our 2-fast school we have a class on "Powerband management"! You should take it!

Your rear suspension has a great deal to do with tire spin. Swingarm angle and chain pull determines how planted the tire is. However, that stock gixxer you are on will spin any tire on any day. It's up to you to manage that spin!

Riding motorcycles is a learning curve with no end!

Back