Tires: Do I like Left Turns more than Right Turns?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
The below images are pics of my front tire on my 08 Busa, Battleaxe BT015 OEM tires at 3902 miles. You will notice one side is considerably worn more than another. Do I just like left turns better, or do I have a problem here? Frankly, Looks like new tires in order!

IMG_4202_Medium.jpg

IMG_4203_Medium.jpg

IMG_4204_Medium.jpg

yeah, i could never figure out why most people favor the left. your skins look a little beat up. :laugh:

Time for new shoes, brother.

I think a lot of people favor the left because of the position your throttle hand must be in in order to achieve a good, solid right. You practice enough...your tires will wear more evenly.

:rulez:

There is also the cross slope of the road to consider. Every road has at least a 2% slope from the crown to the shoulder. :beerchug:

time for new shoes, brother.

I think a lot of people favor the left because of the position your throttle hand must be in in order to achieve a good, solid right. You practice enough...your tires will wear more evenly.

+1 :beerchug:

All good observations thanks - Ok, Avon Storms or Dunlop Roadsmarts? Frankly, Cyclegear is supposedly having a big sale next weekend so I may actually be able to pick up a set of Dunlops at a really good price....not to beat the "which tire to buy" thread to death!

Last edited:
I need to go run that road I ran last weekend in the other direction!

Left turns are a little longer than rights too. You stay on the side of the tire longer going around the outside of the corner.

This is correct as far as I'm concerned. Try slow turns in parking lot and you'll feel much better making lefts than rights.... practice. It's all about teh throtle and your arm position - stretched out VS tucked in.

Left turns are a little longer than rights too. You stay on the side of the tire longer going around the outside of the corner.

left turns are usually at intersections etc...where you might get more lean whereas rh turns are usually not as "sweeping" as lh.

+1

However, at the Bash I favored right handers more than left :dunno:

go to the track and focus on BOTH directions, left and right turns. I used to heavily favor left turns too, until I started doing trackdays, where you can perfect all kinds of corners: left, right, camber, off camber, decreasing radius, increasing radius/late braking/late turn in corners, turns with elevations changes, esses, esses with elevation changes.

I occasionally have bad habits thru right handers (usually body positioning oriented), but that would be sorted out by the 2nd or 3rd session of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

that does become problematic when not using appropriate body positioning (using core to support oneself: abs, low back, gluteals, legs). There should be little to no pressure on the clip-ons/bars thru the corner. You're absolutely correct that it does take plenty of practice/seat time to get comfy with both turns. :beerchug:

If you ride in the U.S. the left side of your tires wear more because of the crown/camber of the road. All roads are highest at the centerline and
lowest at the shoulder/edge of pavement.

:hijack: Raider out.
P1580

Back