Strange Front Tire wear ? Opinions ?

Saiid, the other thing that I want to tell u...when u get aired up...use nitrogen gas instead of compressor air...fill tires to manufacturer's recommendation...nitrogen doesn't heat up like compressed air...the skinny is that u will get better mileage from the pump and better mileage out of the tires...not that expensive here in calif..no nothing about east coast shops...check it out

Saiid, the other thing that I want to tell u...when u get aired up...use nitrogen gas instead of compressor air...fill tires to manufacturer's recommendation...nitrogen doesn't heat up like compressed air...the skinny is that u will get better mileage from the pump and better mileage out of the tires...not that expensive here in calif..no nothing about east coast shops...check it out

2hip both my Honda cars have nitrogen in them from dealer but I honestly have zero idea where I could get it for my bike. Would like to do that but I don't think it feasable ?

To properly take advantage of the Nitrogen all of the air must be purged from the tire pressurized area...so you either need 2 valve stems or some sort of bleed hole 180* from the valve stem to achieve this. Either that or suck all of the air out of the tire with a very strong vacuum pump and risk damaging the tire...not very practical nor recommended.

Or you could assemble the tire in a complete vacuum. :laugh:

For what it's worth, Ive had bikes in south Florida for 38 years and every tire I have owned has done that which is caused by the crown of the road. Some motorcycles cause it worse than others.

All Florida roads have a right handed slant built into them for drainage which you compensate by leaning towards the left, causes this left sided wear.

Regards, Rick

Uneven ware on the front is almost always due to poor suspension settings and almost always rebound. Sticky tires with a shorter life span are much less apt to show uneven ware than the longer life touring tires. Dual compound with softer shoulders also contribute to this.

For you fellas running 40 psi in your tires, post up a photo of your 350 lb woman that you haul on the back cause thats the only reason you'd run a tire that rock hard! :laugh:

Uneven ware on the front is almost always due to poor suspension settings and almost always rebound. Sticky tires with a shorter life span are much less apt to show uneven ware than the longer life touring tires. Dual compound with softer shoulders also contribute to this.

For you fellas running 40 psi in your tires, post up a photo of your 350 lb woman that you haul on the back cause thats the only reason you'd run a tire that rock hard! :laugh:

Tuf I had my suspension properly set up at the shop and it made a huge diff in how well the bike rode . I'm gonna get some news ones and keep a bit more pressure in them but at almost 6000 miles , somewhere between 5 and 6k I feel I've gotten decent life out of them ?
Stuck between Avon Storms and Pilot Road 2s ?
What are you recommending as a good street tire for ones who lack real twisties ?

While you may know I'm not a Michelin fan but in reality any of the major manufacturers have good touring tires. I personally have a Bridgestone BTO16 front and BTO23 rear on my busa and it works very well for me. I have stick in case I have to brake hard and mileage on the rear center with pretty good stick on the sides for a little play time in the twisties. I like the idea of having good grip in the front simply because the front tire is the "Control" point of your bike. Just read all the threads where guys lock the front and go down because someone pulled out in front of them or stopped unexpectedly etc. Some say they laid it down but we all know that's BS. No one and I mean no one ententionally lays their bike down giving up control in order to avoid hitting an obsticle.

I'd suggest you give serious thought into running a mixed bag in order to keep good control of the front! It's your life line to a long and prosperous life! :beerchug:

Just because you had a bike shop set your suspension doesn't mean it's set properly. Mechanics are rarely a good choice for suspension set up! Even a suspension guru can only give you a baseline to work from. It's up to you to fine tune the suspension as you are the only one who knows exactly how the bike feels to you.

Pick up a book by Andrew Trevitt called "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" and you'll learn how to properly tinker with your suspension settings. You'll lean much! Also, Dave Moss has some really good videos on suspension.

Cool thanks for advice .
The place that did suspension I have confidence in and it did change it for the better dramatically but still is a bit 'weak' in the front .
It does need a bit of fine tuning as you say. They set up sag and did front as well . It made a huge diff in how smooth and responsive it is but does need a bit more .

There are more factors than one that determines tire ware. Suspension, pressure, compound, throttle and rider input all play rolls in tire ware and performance. You can tell a great deal about a rider as well as his bike by looking at his tires!

There are more factors than one that determines tire ware. Suspension, pressure, compound, throttle and rider input all play rolls in tire ware and performance. You can tell a great deal about a rider as well as his bike by looking at his tires!

please dont look at my tires :laugh:

Back