Pirelli Angel Tires on trip

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I have never used a Pirelli tire on a bike before but after talking with Semi who runs the Strada I decided to give Pirelli a try. I read a review on the Angels in which they ran the tires on a busa on a track for 24 hours and put 3500 miles on the tire with the average speed of 132mph...

I mounted the tires and wheels on the busa and there wasn't a single mile on them when I left for the trip.... I scrubbed them in pretty quickly and they felt good. I was running 40lbs cold so when they heated up there was about 42 - 45 lbs depending on the altitude and outside temp...

We put in 6500 miles on this trip and so many curves that I think that we were leaned over most of the time... For the most part the tires were great, I noticed about 5000 miles that a flat spot on the middle of the tire started to show. When transitioning in a curve from a straight line to the edge of the tire it got a little squirrley but as long as you knew it was going to feel different it was easy to manage. The last 700 miles was pretty straight, New Mexico and Oklahoma in the heat and the flat spot in the middle of the tire really started to show and wear.... I made it home with tread still in the middle but this tire is all used up.

Would I buy a second set for the Busa? Absolutely, if you need some mileage out of a tire and still want to ride the curves without fear of the back end breaking loose this tire will work... I wouldn't take it to the track but to get the biggest bang for the buck the Angels did the trick.....

cap

i'm glad they worked out for you like they have been for me, you just need to get another set of rims and mount some Corsa III's for the track :beerchug:

Had the Angel on the busa earlier this year, I liked them , Good in the rain, Good in the twisties.Am running a Angel on my TLS now , same think , i like them.

So far this year ;
BT-16 were on when I bought them, little to slick for me, Didnt feel confident with them.
PP 2ct's , not a good winter tire , never seemed to get up to temp, may try again, in a warmer season.
Angel , good. see above.
PP x2, I like these the BEST , also were the least $ , gotem for $174 a set ( had to buy 2 sets , hehehehe.)

Now on the front may use a softer compond next year.

so this year , till now on my 5th rear . Problem is , I only get 3000 mile:eh: , on any of the componds ( no racing or burnout , spirited riding.

Going to thy the Q2's next

Had the Angel on the busa earlier this year, I liked them , Good in the rain, Good in the twisties.Am running a Angel on my TLS now , same think , i like them.

So far this year ;
BT-16 were on when I bought them, little to slick for me, Didnt feel confident with them.
PP 2ct's , not a good winter tire , never seemed to get up to temp, may try again, in a warmer season.
Angel , good. see above.
PP x2, I like these the BEST , also were the least $ , gotem for $174 a set ( had to buy 2 sets , hehehehe.)

Now on the front may use a softer compond next year.

so this year , till now on my 5th rear . Problem is , I only get 3000 mile:eh: , on any of the componds ( no racing or burnout , spirited riding.

Going to thy the Q2's next

TIRE Update:

Q2's ; I put them on the nite before a track day . Th eside got chewed up pretty bad,
Did a couple of 3-400 mile twisty days , and they are about shot.

The Q2's stick! but are wearing fact , dont look like i"m even goin to get much more that 2000 miles .

Going to go back to PP , I think they are the best for the money.

Great review put a set of angels on last year only got to put 1500 miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished off my Angels at just under 8k. All Oklahoma riding so mostly straights and cloverleafs, and the tire definately shows this in the wear.

Never had a slip, and I can see slight wear 1/2 inch up on right side of tire 1 inch up on left side. Squared off the left side at 6kish, but I never noticed a bump when leaning right. Wore VERY quickly the last few hundred miles and was hard to tell due to no wear indicator in center of tread. I thought I still had some tire left and was suprised when I saw cords. Very stable up to 170 though :whistle:

Front tire looks maybe 1/2 of tread still there.

Only comparison is the BT016s (i think) that were on it when I bought it. They lasted ~2k miles.

Next tires are Q2 front with a Dunlop Roadsmart rear and I can swap the Q2 rear for trackdays.

Back