Strange Front Tire wear ? Opinions ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
My front tire , Michelin HPX has approx 5000 miles on it.
Instead of having a 'low' flat spot it has a 'high' flat spot ?
The flat spot on it as you can see is higher than the rest of the tire ?
The rear has typical flat spot which has worn off crown of tire and is lower than rest but front has this 'ridge' running down center ?
I live in 'Flattsville' south Florida and mainly ride straight no twisites due to lack there of.
Anyone have any ideas as to how the sides of front tire could be worn more and center is actually still higher than the rest of it ?

Overhead shot looking down on tire. You can see centerline 'high' ridge ?
STRANGETIREWEAR002.jpg

Straight on shot showing ridge which is actually 'higher' than rest of tire ?
STRANGETIREWEAR001.jpg

Tire pressure is 35 .
Down a bit from recommended 42 to try to get more on the road due to evertything being so flat here .

Yes it does look like I ride leaned over ?
Just plain weird is what I call it .

My front Avon ST looks like as well except the left side is worn more than the right. I'm running 40lbs.

Yes you should run the tire pressure at 42 or what ever the tire maker recommends. It is not only about going straight. braking,suspension and turning forces come into play

I run my dunlop Q2's at 34 street and 30 cold track never seen anything like this....

Tire pressure is 35 .
Down a bit from recommended 42 to try to get more on the road due to evertything being so flat here .

You are getting more on the road. Think about it, if you flatten it out to get a wider contact patch, it has to wear the shoulder because that becomes the contact patch. While it is wearing strange, it seems to be wearing even. I suspect low pressure is the problem. Tires are ment to be run at the recomended pressure. That's why they recomend it. They build heat with any less and it eats away at them. You might try running more pressure and it may wear back to normal if it's not too late. Hope that helps.

At 5000 miles the wear bars are about even with tread and it's time for a new set.
I only am running this air pressure because shop I went to recommended it. Those guys are former Suzi racers and very knowledgeable . It made sense to me.
I'm thinking about some Avon Storm2s per sleepless' recommendation .
Just wanted to make sure nothing jumped out at anyone before I put new set on .

At 5000 miles the wear bars are about even with tread and it's time for a new set.
I only am running this air pressure because shop I went to recommended it. Those guys are former Suzi racers and very knowledgeable . It made sense to me.

Racers run less tire pressure for more grip "on the track". More heat is generated "on the track" vs regular street riding. Different conditions require different tire pressures for the street vs on the track.

Your not on a track, stick with the manufactures recommendation, not the former Suzi racers especially since your in flatsville.

I have same issue with my rear. My mechanic told me thats normal and its just from riding and tire following a pattern. It makes my rear wobble lil bit sometimes so he told me if it is doing it so much just throw in a new rear Bridgestone BT

Racers run less tire pressure for more grip "on the track". More heat is generated "on the track" vs regular street riding. Different conditions require different tire pressures for the street vs on the track.

Your not on a track, stick with the manufactures recommendation, not the former Suzi racers especially since your in flatsville.

I simply meant since they had so much exp I listened to them . They made the recommendation for the street again in an effort to try to get more on the road but your point is well taken and most appreciated .
Thank you

If they were real racers they wouldnt recomend the HPX.
Seems nearly normal.

Normal would be a peak in center (not flat like yours) ,but this is from your low tire pressure. If pressure is right it will make a peak ,low pressure will deform the tire in curves.

Time to change. If you like Michelin choose:
Pilot Road if your doing long trips
Pilot Power (no 2CT its to weak) if your riding sporty

and use the Hayabusa recomended 42 , bike is to heavy for lower pressure

You can see also here a flat center. Pressure was 39 but only for 20 min turns on track.
On road i ride and recomend PPower with 42psi

Pic is Bridgestone ,which i dont ride any more after i tryed PP

Luk-150706 031.jpg

Last edited:
Roads have a peak in the middle sloping down to the edges, Looks like you spend too much time in the slow lane :poke: :laugh:

Back