Left side tire wear

Ranger

Registered
Changed my front tire today and notice how drastic the wear was on the left side compared to the right. Ive always heard varying opinions about why it is that way, ie. road angle, torque on chain side etc.. But I found and article about it that said in countries where you drive on the right side of the road, your tires wear more on the left side because left hand turns travel a further distance that right hand turns, so basically the right side has more miles on it. Of course if you live in the UK it would be the opposite. Seemed like an interesting theory I haven't heard before.....

Motorcycle Tire Wear

"But the question remains - Why is this wear more evident on the left front in most cases? Actually, excessive side tire wear is only evident on the left front in countries where one rides on the right side of the road. Riding right means that the left side of your tire will have more (and likely faster) miles on it than the right side. Left hand turns have a larger radius than right hand turns in right side driving countries, hence you ride farther (and likely faster) turning left than turning right with subsequent increased side band wear on the tire's left side. The left side of your tire has more miles on it (in some extreme cases, twice as many) than the right side of your tire. And the side of your tire only gets mileage when you are leaned in a turn, otherwise, this area of your tire does not contact the pavement at all as shown in the photo. European left side drivers find that the right side of their front tires will wear out first. Quite the opposite effect for precisely the same reasons reversed."

+1

It's the only reasonable explaination I've ever heard.

cheers
ken

??? did you mention the slope of roads for drainage :whistle:

That is addressed, but I cant see it, especially after looking at the wear on my own tires. If roads were sloped for drainage it would only be 1-3 degrees tops, I was looking at 15 to 20 on my tires.

Left side of my front, 1/8" chicken strip..
Busa1-22-09004.jpg

Right side, 3/16" to 1/4" chicken strip. Stupid roads..
Busa1-22-09006.jpg

humm good info.. I personally feel more comfortable taking left hand turns. So I usually have a tiny chicken strip on the left side vs the right. but I'm working on that.

Check your forks and rear wheel alignment. Also inspect the steering head bearings.

Back