Tire prices - decisions, decisions

Mikey D

Registered
Jason at Crossroads is hawking the Pilot roads over the Pilot sports.  
He said they will wear longer and still perform well. Anyone heard of the Pilot roads or have any feedback?

He also said the Diablos and the M1's are the same tire with different tread patterns.  Made by sister companies using the same compound.  Anyone heard this as well?

Crossroads
    Michilin Pilot Roads 199 / set + 19 S&H = $218

Parts411.com
    Diablos 218.62 + 26.35 S&H = 244.97
    M1's 236.37 + 26.35 S&H = 262.72

Ronayers.com
    Diablos 223.02 + 12 S&H = 235.02
    M1's 225.46 + 12 S&H = 237.46

I finally bought another rear wheel (yes, this is my third!) and I am ordering meat tomorrow.  The $20 extra for the Diablo's or M1's dosen't concern me.  I want longevity (my 208 lasted 2.5k with no burnouts!) and I want stickie!

(Am I greedy or what?)

What do ya'll think?  (About the tires, not my greed
wink.gif
)

Want stickie and longetivity? Go Avon Azaros SP 45/46 combo. Good wear, good stick.

Ahhhhhhhh the good old sister companies. Sister company is not the smae company or the same processes. Could be close but not quite the same.

Big poppa did a thread here...I believe it wsa located in general. Some other members also swear by them.

My self, I was going to get them the week I wrecked. Oh well. I've nothing but good things about them. You can also ping RaiderDm...he racks a lot of mileage on his busa, so you can get his input too. Just my .02

First, I second the notion for a tire forum.

Second, you can't get max longevity and max grip. You have to choose, its the nature of the beast.

Pirelli and Metzeler are affiliated, but I'm not sure if the Diablo's and M1's are the same...I doubt it. I have the Diablo's, just put 'em on about 300 miles ago. a buddy of mine has them on his GSXR 1k and he put 8000 miles on them (not the corsa's).

i would like to try the pilot roads next
alot of my riding is 2 up and it wears out the middle mostly

i would like to try the pilot roads next
alot of my riding is 2 up and it wears out the middle mostly
Unfourtunately (or maybe fourtunately as I'm still ride'n) most of my miles are straight highway. 70 mile round trip to my summer / side job.

However, I do not want a non-stick, hard-rubber, highway tire as I ocassionaly like to carve up the twisties. (yeah I know, cliche, but it fits
tounge.gif
)

Right now I'm hooked on the Metzeler Sportech M1's. Nice grip and the bike definitely handles better. I've grown a new pair of...er...uhhumm... down there in the twisties. Very stable and sticky. Hey Mikey, I was looking at how you listed your prices and I was wondering if that was for front and rear? Reason I say that is that I just recently purchased the front and rear M1's from Parts411.com and I paid right at $250 for both which included shipping and handling.

Brian

Right now I'm hooked on the Metzeler Sportech M1's.  Nice grip and the bike definitely handles better.  I've grown a new pair of...er...uhhumm... down there in the twisties.  Very stable and sticky.  Hey Mikey, I was looking at how you listed your prices and I was wondering if that was for front and rear?  Reason I say that is that I just recently purchased the front and rear M1's from Parts411.com and I paid right at $250 for both which included shipping and handling.

Brian
That price was for both shipped to AZ.

Copper1 has the M1's too (just saw his busa today and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!). I didn't get a longevity reading on them tho.

Thanks Brian!

According to our Pirelli/Metzler rep, the Diablo and M1 use the same rubber compound. The Diablo does have 1mm deeper tread depth. I have used two M1's on my busa. It is a great handling tire, very predictable. As far as mileage goes, the first one lasted around 2k, the second...770 miles. Keep in mind that I live in the mountains of NC. The 1st one was used mainly for commuting and and occasional blast thru the mountains. The 2nd one that lasted 770 miles was really abused at Deals Gap and the surrounding roads for over 400 miles. No tread left on the edges and not worn to the wear bars in the middle. Currenty I have a set of Pilots H2's on my 99. Being summer time and with another gap trip looming, I just wanna see what kind of life I get out of a true race tire.

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com

Thanks Kevin!

I wnt with th M1's. Momma asked me if it was a good deal so I took her to the dealer.

They wanted $400 + tax for the M1's!

I think you will be impressed with the M1's. I will probally got back to a set during the fall and winter riding. I guess I just need to buy another set of rims.....

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com

no such thing as long... stick...

You know, have your cqake and eat it too.

If you want sick stick, buy the Michelin Pilot Powers. They ROCK!

ill let all know what i think about the bridgestone bt 014. just orderd them yesterday. for 237 shipped from chapparalmotorsports.com. price in the back of sport rider magazine. fast shipment , i have ordered tires from them before .
biggrin.gif

Back