Timing retard on gen 2

I agree with SixPack on the STP fueling. The values would be set to 100%, every cell, every gear. They already are except in gears 2 and 3. In this case 100% just means normal fueling.

There is an STP fueling option, you are correct about that. Don't want to get the two things confused, the main STP map controls how the STPs open . . .

Last edited:
Ok well I'm willing to try anything once.. Guess I'll put the plates back in and copy the fuel and opening tables. Ignition advance and fan. Also I'm going to remove the soft cut rev limit.. Anyone know what the safe raised rev limit is for an oem motor with oem valve springs

I don't have any cold start issues. And I can say for a fact it's not slower. I have no dyno testing but I do have real world testing as I ride the bike every day of the year almost

With the stp's out, what you may gain at higher rpm, you will lose at lower rpm.
Original testing of the Ecu Editor function proved anything over 94% open caused turbulance in the cylinders...and having them gone is 100% open.

Ok well I'm willing to try anything once.. Guess I'll put the plates back in and copy the fuel and opening tables. Ignition advance and fan. Also I'm going to remove the soft cut rev limit.. Anyone know what the safe raised rev limit is for an oem motor with oem valve springs

Remove the soft cut, rpms will automatically go up around 600. Do not not manually raise them any more.
Do not turn off the hard cut limiter.

Ok that's what I'll try, I'm wondering if the turbulence is caused by the stp plate being at a farther angle than the actual lower throttle plate when it's set above 94%. Possible that when the plate is physically gone the turbulence might not be there. Just a theory

With the stp's out, what you may gain at higher rpm, you will lose at lower rpm.
Original testing of the Ecu Editor function proved anything over 94% open caused turbulance in the cylinders...and having them gone is 100% open.
Remove the soft cut, rpms will automatically go up around 600. Do not not manually raise them any more.
Do not turn off the hard cut limiter.

Thanks, sixpack. You have to delineate between the STP mapping and STP fueling, two different animals. I did not hear you when you said it CORRECTLY in your first post, my fault. 94 is the max number is the STP main mapping and 100 in the STP fueling table . . .

There is an STP fueling option, you are correct about that. Don't want to get the two things confused, the main STP map controls how the STPs open . . .

I know the opening rate setting is different from
Ok that's what I'll try, I'm wondering if the turbulence is caused by the stp plate being at a farther angle than the actual lower throttle plate when it's set above 94%. Possible that when the plate is physically gone the turbulence might not be there. Just a theory

Don't know.
That's what people much smarter than me, like Smith and Frank, figure out through dyno testing.
Listen to what Powerhouse/Frank tells you/us.
I'm just a mechanic who uses the basics of a flash.
He is top tuner, who backs up what he says with years of dyno and Ecu Editor experience.

Yes I'm going to try it and see.. I always like to think of the what ifs just to satisfy my curiosity. Wish I did have a dyno

Thanks, sixpack. You have to delineate between the STP mapping and STP fueling, two different animals. I did not hear you when you said it CORRECTLY in your first post, my fault. 94 is the max number is the STP main mapping and 100 in the STP fueling table . . .

Not a problem, glad I wasn't passing bad info.
And we're all glad for the countless free info and advice you always give.
Can't beat having you on here to keep us straight and pick your brain.
Thank you sir.

Yes I'm going to try it and see.. I always like to think of the what ifs just to satisfy my curiosity. Wish I did have a dyno

I wish I had a dyno too...and someone like Frank to apprentice under for a few years.
It's something that takes alot of experience.
Not just read the instructions, or take a class and go to it.

My stock map for STP has 4th unrestricted. Same as 1st and 5th.

I would have to look at mine, and I don't doubt you.
I wonder if it has always been that way?
It's been a long time since I paid that much attention to all the settings.

.... disable 02, disable PAIR and remove ... lots to play with.

For comparison you can install a switch on pin 58 (map 0/1) and be able to see how stock STP mapping works on map 1 compared to your newly revised strategy on map 0.

I would have to look at mine, and I don't doubt you.
I wonder if it has always been that way?
It's been a long time since I paid that much attention to all the settings.
It happens I looked earlier. For me it doesn't matter what the STP's are doing below 9000 rpm's in gears 2-6 so I don't bother opening them on my fast bike.

It happens I looked earlier. For me it doesn't matter what the STP's are doing below 9000 rpm's in gears 2-6 so I don't bother opening them on my fast bike.

Yeah, I'm street riding, playing, wheelieing, and like an agressive throttle response.
You're leaving the tree at high rpm and haulin ass the whole track, so not as beneficial for your application.

Ya ive had the pair gone for a while. I still use the oem o2 though. Haven't really seen much benefit in removing it on a daily ridden bike but I'll look into it. The flies are my main interest. I've always noticed better throttle and quicker power response on the street with them gone by I've never tried the tuning route for them so it'll be a new experiment

I had emailed Greg Smith about the rev limit. He says removing soft cut still leaves the rev limit at the oem 10800. But I also see ppl saying it goes up 600 rpm by removing soft cut. Does anyone know for sure?

I had emailed Greg Smith about the rev limit. He says removing soft cut still leaves the rev limit at the oem 10800. But I also see ppl saying it goes up 600 rpm by removing soft cut. Does anyone know for sure?

I usually raise the rev limiter on a GEN 1 to 11,200 and that’s what I see happening on the Dyno ...

Ok so if i disable soft cut and set rev limit to 11200 that's where it'll stay right, it won't try to add 600 more on top of the 11200

Back