Ticketed by an aircraft for speeding

TallTom

Registered
Ok I was in a group on Saturday heading to Lessburg, Fla. for a bike rally. 4 of us on the 417 Expsy in Seminole County, Fl. We had passed thru a toll and we were all keeeping spacing as we usually did maybe up to 70 or so in a posted 65. We all pulled around to pass a truck and trailer that was driving erratically so that would be the only time we maybe went past the speed limit by more than 70. And whatevr speed that was, wasn't there for long as we got around him and got back into the right lane.

About 2 miles ahead we got passed by a Red Excursion travelling at least 15 more than we were. About a mile after that we crest a rise and there was 5 highway patrol cars sitting on the grass off the side of the highway. We never slowed down or did anything but keep our line and speed. One of these guys pulls out ahead of the Excursion and hits his lights. The Excursion practically slid sideways trying to slow-down for the cruiser. He got behind the excusrion and ahead of us and started waving us all over. Another cruiser had gone in behind us and had his lights on. They pulled all 4 of us over.

We were all looking at each other in disbelief as to what was going on. The cops gets us all off our bikes and proceeds to announce that we were all clocked doing 80 mph by an aircraft. He then proceeds to point up and shows us a Cessna above the highway and said they clock us between 2 lines and radio us the speed. I asked where these so called lines are and he said about 3 miles back just this side of the toll booth. We were all in kind of shock. My bud Lou says OK so you are telling us that we were doing 80 3 miles back down there? Yes the plane radioed us and said 4 bikes all in a group coming to you number 4 vehicle, no 1 lane.

Apparently the plane has some means of measuring the time it takes us to cover this distance.

Look we likely did a short burst of more than 70 MPH we all admit that on the pass. We then slowed down back to our regular pace. The Red Excursion flew by us at well past 80 and was not pulled over. While we were there being ticketed that pulled over about 20 vehicles, about 15 of them motorcycles.

We doubled back down the road to see these lines. As near as we can figure out they have lines painted and they are roughly .2 of a mile apart from each other. Yes we probably did that pass in that section. I am not denying that the possibility that we did 80 exist, but it was for a short period of time, and we sure as heck were not driving like the Excursion was.

By the time we got back to ask the officers questions about how this all works the whole pack had left and the aircraft were all no longer flying above us. We were like WTH has just happened here. We sll got 80 in a 65 and $190 fines with a court date already stated on our tickets if we chose to come to court.

So I begin to start asking myself, how is this railroad run? They apparently tracked each of us doing exactly the same speed, at the same time, while flying an airplane above us.

We got 4 bikes here, all of us had out gear on, our licenses in order, and we are all pretty pissed off about this. None of us are from the area. To come to court will mean we all take a day off to fight this, which we may all do, but I have to figure out how we argue what we don't have a clue what they did to clock us anyway. Seems an awful lot like they were setting up the bikes heading to this rally, but I can only say what we were doing in our group. None of us believed we were doing 80 for more than 3-4 seconds during a pass, and none of us would have been passing at the same exact time since we were all spaced out between us.

As near as I can figure, they clock from the time you enter the line to the moment you pass the second one. Anyone know the circumstace and distances involved? And how they can track 4 targets at the same time?

How is the done properly by the law, and how is this done to mulitple vehicles simultaneously?

It looks like you admitted to speeding and if that is so, you can bet it is in the report. Looks like you are screwed.

There is a spotter in the plane who times how long it takes for you to get from line 1 to line 2. Then using a formula, they calculate your speed. I think they get a few readings to be sure.

They might have seen you go zipping by the semi and tagged you then.

Best bet would be for you to get a local attorney and see what he says since your not from the area...

Ask what equipment and method is used for this. Also inquire about how often said equipment has to be re-certified and when was that last done. A visual spotter with a stop watch leaves open a lot of questions about their methods and human error. There should be logs of whatever was done in that airplane since that is what they're using to hang folks.

Get an attorney, fight it. This form of tracking is very inaccurate. Too bad you told the cop you speed "a little" to pass the truck, that probably come back to bite you in the (you know what). Good luck.

Aircraft check you over a known distance, usually a mile or two. So your speed is an average. Our aircraft use a stop watch and it calculates the speed for them. Robic makes a very good one.
Fighting this type of speed ticket is usually futile. The pilot has a visual observation of you through the entire distance.
I have heard Florida has a big crack down on motorcycles now. I would be reluctant to go there and expect any thing short of a ticket. The problem is there few squids that have pissed of the citizens, legislators and LE. It will not go away anytime soon. Responsible riders get screwed because of a few.
Squids posting high speed wheelies and speedometers showing high speed riding from helmet cams on the net adds fuel to the problem.
It is easier to group all riders on sport bikes into one category then to treat each on an individual basis.
It is a sad situation but it is what is.
We started the Hayabusa program for many reasons. One side effect we hope catches on is a more positive image for the sport bike community.
By using a Haybusa in LE it gives it a positive image - We hope!

I'm not sure about Florida but the attorney I use here in Washington has never lost an airplane ticket in his 16 years of practice and he has done hundreds of them.

I'm sure it's an easy ticket to beat if you have a good traffic attorney. However, be sure you get an attorney in the area that only does traffic, nothing else. If it were me, I'd team all my buds up and get one attorney to take all four tickets at a discounted rate. I doubt you'll have to show up in court. If you admitted to the officer that you were indeed speeding, you my be screwed.

The golden rule of a traffic stop, never ever admit to anything, avoid casual chat and when the officer asks you how fast you were going, the best answer you can give is "I don't know". Good luck and by all means, get some advise from a genuine traffic attorney.

Get an attorney, fight it.  This form of tracking is very inaccurate.  Too bad you told the cop you speed "a little" to pass the truck, that probably come back to bite you in the (you know what).  Good luck.
So inaccurate, if the officer dosn't start it right on the money and stop the timer on the money and flying beside the vehicle being clocked their perseption of when the vehicle gets to the first line is not accurate, a couple of feet off on both lines is a dramatic increase in the outcome of the vehicles speed (almost like looking at the speedometer in a car from the passangers seat) and not to mention that plane is bouncing around up there(pitching, rolling and yaw) will also have an affect on visual perspective and pushing the button on the stop watch.. I would take it to court.. I know some State Trooper pilots here in Louisiana that do that and they say it aint very accurate...

We never told the cop we were speeding at all. What was said was You are telling us we were speeding 3 miles back there? The cop on the road said, he is merely pulling over who the plane tells us to.

We NEVER admitted to speeding.

I got a ticket the same way last year down in Miami. Get an attorney (Ticket Clinic) and you should be fine. I used them and it was dismissed.
thumb_up.gif

Such an important use of an airplane w/ the cost of fuel today coming out of my tax paying money..
guns.gif
We're lucky around here, they cant use the planes to spot us because most of the airspace is restricted or too congested.

rate=distance /time

Using that formula, he can be off by a twenty meters and it doesn't change the average speed by any significant amount.

So, at an average of 60mph, if he was off by 20 meters, the average would change to 60.68mph. So it is quite a bit more accurate than you think.
beerchug.gif

It is accurate way to measure speed.

Get an attorney. All four of you with one attorney could do well.

--Wag--

Such an important use of an airplane w/ the cost of fuel today coming out of my tax paying money..
guns.gif
 We're lucky around here, they cant use the planes to spot us because most of the airspace is restricted or too congested.
Thats why they pulled over 4 bikes at the same time. Trying to pay the gas bill all at once..
laugh.gif

How can he time 5 vehicles at once??? I'm sure in the name of accuracy, he can only clock one car passing the first set of lines and then the second.

How can he time 5 vehicles at once???  I'm sure in the name of accuracy, he can only clock one car passing the first set of lines and then the second.
I'm with you... cant time 5 bikes at once... yeah I guess you could make a guess and say they were moving at the same rate of speed!

cop tried to pull 4 of us over the other day for not coming to a complete stop at a right on red... he only got one person and even admitted "I can only pull one person over at a time and your buddies are lucky"... after all the he didn't even issue a ticket!

How can he time 5 vehicles at once???  I'm sure in the name of accuracy, he can only clock one car passing the first set of lines and then the second.
I'm with you...  cant time 5 bikes at once...  yeah I guess you could make a guess and say they were moving at the same rate of speed!

cop tried to pull 4 of us over the other day for not coming to a complete stop at a right on red...  he only got one person and even admitted "I can only pull one person over at a time and your buddies are lucky"...   after all the he didn't even issue a ticket!
Guesses shouldn't hold up in court, Right??

Get an attorney. If you guys try to fight it on your own, you will lose.

Back