got a speeding ticket

(RCKTMAN @ Oct. 25 2006,23:52) No im sorry i wouldnt give a fellow officer a ticket..... bash me if you like but i just dont do it. i guess it boils down to this. noone takes care of us noone really even likes us as you can see from earlier posts. but we try to take care of each other. the only thing i would put another officer in jail for is DWI. theres no excuse for it and it contradicts everyhting we are about..... public saftey.

well would you have rather had the "think of your family" speech or the heres your ticket speech
Hypocrite. That's right you guys are above the law and need to make a ticket quota. The reason you guys are looked down upon a lot of the times is for that reason in it's self. You guys are ticketing/arresting people for the same crap you do on a daily basis.

(tourbus @ Oct. 26 2006,17:28) ...little manuver to catch us is by far more dangerous than my 65or70 in a 55...
Probably not a good idea to admit any speed, let alone the same speed the cop is saying.

Well thats just it i didnt admit i was speeding, in fact i didnt know why he pulled my friend & i over, because my busa was showing 65mph which should of been 60/62mph. I had a 2000 busa & actually had it checked by a radar gun, 65 on that bike was 61mph and i figured that my 03 that i have now would be close to that bike. He said he clocked us at 70mph but im sayin bull shite the more im hearing from fellow board members. We met trooper stahl in the middle of a blind corner, he didnt in my opinion have time to lidar both of us because it was like bam! there he was, it was that quick. There is no way he locked on both bikes just no way. I did everything the trooper asked, ken and i were very polite with this guy, we are to fat guys in our mid 30's with good driving records that were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time by a fuggin d-head, could of give a warning in my opinion.

before you start bashing my knowledge of radar guns and the variables involved in obtaining an accurate speed. you should also take into consideration that i teach the f*cking class. im not gonna sit here and teach a class to these guys over the internet. first of all it would take too long to do it and if i did im not sure they would interpret it correctly because if you wanna get right down to it, it gets kinda complicated. they arent gonna understand doppler pitches and visual estimation unless they have been directly exposed to it. so you do your best to discredit me. it has obviously been a long time since you have had any dealings with  radar because your still talking about "beeps" and "operator preset speed alert" radars now dont have those options anymore. Just to educate YOU a little, my radar is a "Stalker" with dual antennas with a display dedicated to each antenna. Thats right, I can get speeds coming towards me from either direction AND i can do it at the SAME TIME. Also i can single out the fastest moving vehicle in a group of vehicles. Im not doing it, the unit does it for me. Buddy your living in a stone age and obviously have no current training. i think what has actually happened here is youve bought some book off the internet to teach you how to beat a speeding ticket in court.

to the rest of you, i hope you realize that "professional courtesy" has been around for as long as human beings have been enforcing law. It is in place for several reasons. Im sure some of you understand it but it seems like the rest of you dont want to understand it. But the best way i could explain it is that it would be almost exactly like writing one of your family members a ticket. you can come on here and say you would do it but we all know that even on your worst day your not gonna ticket your own family. We are held to a higher standard than the general public around here. IF i have to deal with an officer who was recklessly endangering the public, it would not be in the form of a ticket. It would most likely be through his chain of command. and trust me it would pale in comparison to ticket. Most likely days off or a suspension in some cases. IT HAS HAPPENED!!!! but we arent ever gonna start ticketing each other.

DAYM, Do you ever sound like a "typical" cop.  For 43,000 a year I would look deep inside myself and think "what else can I do other than this....."

^ I'm not attacking you personally....for the record.

I'm just looking in from the outside and thinking that is what i wish I would do.

(GSXcite @ Oct. 25 2006,15:13) Thats not right. I think we can thank the squids for that type of attitude. I have been pulled over 3 times on my busa since I bought it. After taking my helmet off, the officer saw I was not a young person and the result was no ticket. I have rode bikes for over 40 years and never got a ticket on one.
Don't ride with a group of squids then! They will have to give all one or none! State troopers! Think about them the next time your needing one and they show up to rescue you!  
wink.gif
NOT  I meant arrest you!  
race.gif

Also for the record. I do NOT have a problem with Law Enforcement. I commend them. They have a tough job in the scheme of things. My dad is a retired police officer. I have good friends that are LE. I begin to take issue with anyone that means ANYONE that feels they are above the standards they expect me to live or work under, simply because of the position they hold.

I respect that LE has a job to do. Upholding public safety etc., all too often they become cowboys, realizing that they can pretty much expect that everyone will submit to them and what they decide to say or do by virtue of the badge, the uniform and the expectation of respect that we are taught from childhood.

They deal with the underbelly of society for not much money. None of us who don't know thier jobs can estimate how much that job sucks. We are the easiest thing to take advantage of. Speeding fines are a HUGE source of easy revenue for thier dept. They also are expected to write citations as part of thier jobs. It is directly a component of thier performance reviews. It is far easier to deal with the likes of "us" than it is a bank robber, a child molester etc. They get attorneys that make the cops look like fools a lot of times. We the "us" are sheep to them. Easy money, easy work, easy way to exert thier authority.

They become complacent because we don't hold them accountable for thier actions. It is our responsibility to insist they do thier jobs right. They work for us. Using a radar gun to write an easy ticket is actually pretty easy. They don't care if the gun is right or wrong because 99% of the time they won't be held accounatble for it after they watch you sign that ticket.

In one of my 4 appearances in court, I had the judge ask me to stay behind after the ruling. I thought to myself I was about to be reprimanded for contempt or something of that nature. Instead he gave me very encouraging words. I don't remember them exactly but it was something like. If more citizens took the time to actively participate in the process we would have far less sloppy police work simply because the cops KNOW they better do thier jobs better. He hears hundreds of these traffic cases a month. 99% of us citizens go in there hoping for a miracle or some lucky break. They rarely have even looked at the statute they are being accused of violating. Folks we all have a full and complete law library available to us in each of our county governments. I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned by studying a little bit about how a law is written and expected to be carried out. The problem is, those who write them, rarely if ever see how they are put into practice.

I routinely carry a video camera in my vehicles. I leave it on if I'm pulled over. They order me to turn it off. I refuse to. They threaten me with arrest if I don't. I welcome it if they do. I have every right to use a video camera to record events as they do. You would be amazed at how effective a documented non arguable piece of evidence like that is in court. They suddenly do thier jobs fantastically well.

I happen to have a friend who is a Deputy sSeriff. I videotaped a DS doing a high rate of speed, no lights, no pursuit, simply wanted to get home to dinner or whatever. I sent it into the sheriff anonymously and with no publicity, with a note that asked, "Do you wish this to become public knowledge?". Less than 30 days later my friend Sgt. Bugress told me that he and ther other shift leaders were called into the commanders office and were told point blankly, they had videotaped evidence of one of our guys violating traffic laws for no apprent reason. He knew the car number and who was driving it by researching that tape evidence. He never made that person accounatble, he made the whole dept. accounatble. They were told they better put a stop to this if they wanted to keep thier jobs.

Sometimes what we do matter guys.

We all risk speeding tickets everytime we decide to turn that throttle. You decide that risk and act accordingly. If they catch you, you pay the price for that risk. Don't whine about reality of your actions. None of us are above the law here, including the accuser (the cop writing that ticket).

I have no problems with any of the posts in this thread... The only thing I take issue with is "Professional courtesy" and while I understand it I certainly do not agree with it in this instance... actually any instance that would be considered illegal.

LEO should be held to a higher standard... You have a gun a badge and the ability to detain people. I would hope that someone with that type of power would be a person of high moral code and accountability.. Plus I would hope that every LEO knows that their actions need to hold up to public scrutiny... LEO works for the public and the greater good. That is why I respect them.

I'm not saying you should ticket every cop that speeds but that they should be given the same breaks that you would give the average citizen... It should not just be a matter of course that they are sent on their way with a handshake and a smile.

Just remember I don't have to agree with everything you say to respect the job each and every LEO does.

E

I don't have as much of a problem with professional courtesy as I do with the BS traffic laws. Police Officers are trained to handle vehicles at higher speeds, so are not a saftey issue at higher speeds. Why non-LEO cannot pass the same classes and get licenses for higher speed driving is one of my rants. There wouldn't be a need for PC if the traffic laws were not so arbitrary. 40 Ton truck and 500 # motorcycle are considered safe or unsafe at the same speed. Please. Grandma is a hazard at 10 MPH below the posted speed limit, but that's OK because the number on the little sign says so. I'm driving safely at 10 MPH over the posted limit, but I need to be pulled over and fined. Makes no sense to me, other than the Department of Revenue controls the drivers licensing and points system in MO.

(RCKTMAN @ Oct. 25 2006,13:36) i find it disturbing that some of you feel that you should be allowed to basically drive at your own risk.
Lets see, kids and morons on cell phones while driving, Powerful SUV's much bigger and impossible to see out the sides of when changing lanes, Morons blasting music so loud the paints peeling off the side of the vehical, and the tuner crowd that wants to race anything even if it means tailgating at high speeds. All things i've encountered on the road. Oh and lets not forget road rage or people that do carry and sometimes use firearms on the road.

Hate to say it brah but you should be feeling REALLY disturbed. Truth is everyone out there is driving at their own risk. That's why i prefer sportbikes for riding. With the bike i can use superior SPEED to SPEED away from such rolling accidents looking for a place to happen. Contrary to what you may believe, Speed can and has meant Life for many.
biggrin.gif

Back