got a speeding ticket

tourbus

Registered
Ive got some steam to blow off so here we go, i was on a nice after work ride last eve with my good friend ken. we were on a road that is not traveled a whole lot and we were lumbering down the road with my speedo showing 65mph no big deal, well one of kansas's finest met us oncoming, lit us up, made a daring u-turn on a blind corner,and pulls us over. He walks up and gives the typical line by saying you know why i pulled you over, i said well im not sure, and he fires back that he clocked us at 70mph, writes us both $126 fines & ads that he was hoping we would of run because other guys do it to him and they cant outrun him, he really said this to. My problem with all this is i am a good driver/rider that doesnt take chances on the street and i havent been ticketed or even pulled over in years & years. I know these guys call in our drivers licences to check for prior tickets/ accidents, and in my case i have neither. I guess people will say im wrong, but i think a warning would of been the proper punishment on this ordeal and hope this kind of crap dosent happen to my .org brothers hope to see ya on the road!

From what I understand if your speedo was showing 65, unless you have a speedohealer, you would only be doing around 60-62.

Did you take a look at his radar readout? I would fight it. When was the last time his radar gun was calibrated? He was moving toward you so you would be going faster than if he was sitting still.

I feel your pain. I got a 87 in a 60 by a Kansas State Trooper as well and they have no sence of humor. The guy was a jerk with me and like you I pulled right over and gave him no lip,just yes sir,no sir.

Mental note to self..... Watch speed while traveling wide open Ks highway!
Never have figured that one out in all my years living here. I tend to agree that most Ks hi-po's aren't real forgiving...

dude, just got wacked $254 AND my bike fell over on it's side and got all phugged up. I feel your pain.

I'd take that one to court. 1. He was moving in the opposite direction while running his radar. 2. When was his radar last calibrated??? 3. You haven't had a ticket in "years and years" so that goes in your favor when talking to a judge. Bring your driving record for proof. 4. Police Officers, in my experience, sometimes don't show up for court which should be an automatic dismissal of the ticket. Always take traffic tickets to court. Worst case, you'll have to pay what you already know you have to pay. Lots of times the ticket amount will be reduced or even dismissed if you show up, speak well, give your side and not bash the officer. Try it. Can't hurt.

I got banged for 750.00 and a 5 day suspension recently same deal as you, in the middle of nowhere but i was doing 101mph....at least thats what he got me at so dont feel to bad, its how it is when your on a bike even if your obeying the law, they always look hard at bikers around here cause its good revenue for em...

fight it and tell the judge what the guy said, he was just looking for a fight.
he must have ate lead paint chips when he was a kid.

That sucks!!
argue.gif

Sorry to hear. In KS, they are NOT required to show you the radar. If you don't wanna pay it, your best bet would be to try and discredit the calibration/certification of the radar gun. Get the calibration records, find out from the mfr what the calibration cycle should be. Find out if the LEO is current on his operating certification, etc. Was the gun properly field-calibrated at the beginning of his shift?

Gonna be tough with the trooper. THey usually make you go to the county courthouse to pay-up. Some counties - like Douglas county DO NOT amend tickets at all!

Good luck!

Allthough I have a HUGE respect for law enforcement, the State Troupers seem to not do jack but hand out tickets.  
guns.gif
(at least in Fl)

Fug 'em...go get a real job.

I personally feel a speed limit should be a personal choice based on a persons skills, intelligence, situation, and vehicle. You make you own choice, you live with the consequences should things go awry.

Heck you weren't hurting NOTHING and yet some peckerhead pulls you over and cost you money not only on a ticket but insurance...and for what? What good has he really done? Has he really made our streets safer? No, he's like an f hall moniter handing out detention slips for running.

On my way back (state road 40) there were 2 Troupers togather clocking bikes as they came over the hill. I thought "why don't you stick that radar gun....
firedevil.gif
"

Thats not right. I think we can thank the squids for that type of attitude. I have been pulled over 3 times on my busa since I bought it. After taking my helmet off, the officer saw I was not a young person and the result was no ticket. I have rode bikes for over 40 years and never got a ticket on one.

I would take it to court. I just beat one from CHP (Calif Hywy Patrol) cuz he used the radar while traveling the other way. I took my record (clean) with 20 years of riding and never a ticket or accident, and an article, from a motorcycle mag, about the busa and when they were testing them they had to use radar from behind cuz they couldn't get a good lock on the front..

got it dismissed.
super.gif

well heres my opprotunity to get my ratings down as low as possible. Im polce officer with shreveport police department here in louisiana. first and foremost if you are gonna seek advise from somebody at least let it be from people who know what they are talking about. I would never go to a plumber for electrical work. A police officer cannot check the cal. of a radar, he can only check it for accuracy. to check a radars calabration it would have to be pulled off the dash and sent to the manufacturer for that. any officer i know that uses a radar checks it at the begining and the end of the shift for ACCURACY and we do it with a tuning fork that came with the unit. I hate to break it to most of you but i can be traveling east and our buddy here can be traveling west and i can get his speed with a radar. If he passes by me i can hit him with the rear antenna and get him going away from me. if im headed north and he is coming up behind me i can still get him. as a matter of fact i have mine set so that if you are approaching me from behind at 15mph more than the speed im traveling the unit will warn me that you are aggressively aproaching and i can get your speed. what was the speed limit on the road you were traveling on. i could see if the speed limit was 40mph and your doin 65mph. court appearances are not all they are cracked up to be. here if you try to fight a ticket and you are found guilty you pay the fine plus court cost. usually another $75.00.

now, having said all that, i guess i should say that speeding is a risk you take. probably 95% of the time when you speed you never see a police officer and never get a ticket. so most of the time you win. but i guess you could compare it to a craps game. if your on a winning streak thats great but eventually its gonna end.

i find it disturbing that some of you feel that you should be allowed to basically drive at your own risk. speed on more occassions than i can count have destroyed families and peoples lives. please dont think that i am flaming you or whatever but i believe that you owe it to your neighbor to drive with respect for others. I know that when i stop someone for speeding i first consider where they are committing the offense. if they are on a city street their chances of getting a ticket or getting their car/motorcycle impounded increase dramatically as opposed to if they were on a parish road in the middle of nowwhere acting a fool. i would respect the fact that they were not putting anyone else at risk with their actions. trust me, im not a bobo ive let street bikes go that were doing a well over the speed limit.

well everyone please go vote for me now.

and if you ever have any questions L.E. related lemme know and ill do my best to help.

remember with great power comes great responsibility

i have been in a car gonig 22miles over the speed limit stoped by state police wrote it for 5 over
get stoped by state police 10 years later on the busa going 26 over and he writes it for 26 over.
only get brakes on gold wings, slow cars and HD`s

It is good to get a LEO perspective.  Sounds like you have your feet on the ground as well with your understanding of where the offense occurs as to the punishment.

With all that said Rocket...........dude you are about to see your rating Drooooop.

HAHAHAAHAHAHA
beerchug.gif

yep, don't know why the calibration thing always comes up as it is false, and police are not required to show the detector speed that is usually just a courtousy thing. the newer radar units (LIDAR?)are bad ass! and can nail speeders just about any way possible.

your best bet would be, if this is your first offense, too get good traffic lawyer and have him work his majic, they're usually pretty good at it.

ocean racer, which magazine was that in that had issues hitting the busa with radar, i'd like to check it out. i've heard of the radar problem before and would like to read up on it.

Back