Ti nitride coating

busaboyk7

Registered
I have a 2007 busa that has 6400 miles on it. I pulled it out of the shed yesterday, the first time in about a month, and the gold colored ti nitride coating is coming off of the right fork, but the left fork is ok. I do not see any oil leaking from the shock, nor did any type of chemical come in contact with it. I can't figure out what could be causing this. Anyone else have the same problem?

here are some pics...

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

Last edited:
Have you ever changed out the front end?

I say that because, sadly, you are about to.

The sad reality of it is that something got on there, or fluid may have leaked and you just cannot see where they came from,, or whatever it is that happened,, just happened.

As odd as it may seem, when you resolve that, no one singularly, is to blame you have to replace that fork leg. Someone out here has a single, intact, same issue Gold TiNitrated, right fork leg available for you to buy and swap out for the damage one. Repairing the coating is not an option.

The one thought I can pass on is that when you do this, be sure to rebuild both suspension pieces with superior seals, springs and fluids for future insurance so that it doesn't mysteriously happen to you again.

Sorry about the piece, Bro. If you need a walk-through on the process, shout out, myself or many others can help you through.
icon6.gif

Have you ever changed out the front end?

I say that because, sadly, you are about to.

The sad reality of it is that something got on there, or fluid may have leaked and you just cannot see where they came from,, or whatever it is that happened,, just happened.

As odd as it may seem, when you resolve that, no one singularly, is to blame you have to replace that fork leg. Someone out here has a single, intact, same issue Gold TiNitrated, right fork leg available for you to buy and swap out for the damage one. Repairing the coating is not an option.

The one thought I can pass on is that when you do this, be sure to rebuild both suspension pieces with superior seals, springs and fluids for future insurance so that it doesn't mysteriously happen to you again.

Sorry about the piece, Bro. If you need a walk-through on the process, shout out, myself or many others can help you through.
icon6.gif

What happens if he just leaves it until the fork seal starts leaking?
It is just cosmetic up until that point.
It may go quite a while without a leak from what I see in the pics.

What happens if he just leaves it until the fork seal starts leaking?
It is just cosmetic up until that point.
It may go quite a while without a leak from what I see in the pics.

That is a seal between the leg and the fluids. Any imperfection could cause imminent failure. I don't know,,, you're right,, it could never fail,,, ORrrr,,,, it could cause an irreversible catastrophe. This isn't like you are cruising around in your cage where if a shock starts losing fluids,, oh well, let it go. No, this is a two wheel missile. Don't you put importance on the little things that hold your life intact each and every time you roll out? Sh!t like this happens on my bike,,, it doesn't roll until its fixed! Period.

When you wash the bike,clean the forks as well and dry them off. Put a light coat of hydraulic fluid on the forks to protect the seals and TI coating.

It is common, but Suzuki does not cover it!

Traxxion Dynamics, in Ga, will redo the coating for you, but its not cheep!
Or buy a used set of forks off Ebay

That thin coating is not a big deal, just ride it until it wears out the seal in 20,000 more miles. Ride it until you need to replace it. Good Luck

ok....thanks for the info, and the direction. What will happen if i don't replace it?

IMO
The coating reduces friction with the fork seal, helps it seal better and last longer.
Unless it is leaking it probably won't hurt anything except the looks.
If the oil chamber in the fork is not leaking it will work fine.
Forks that have the coating intact, still leak all the time.
The coating is no guarantee against leakage.
If you have the $ then replace it, if not drive it and as always check for leaks in the forks before every ride.
I replace my seals at the first sign of a leak (with qualification).
Here is a pic of a leak that only leaked about 20 drops in 10,000 miles.
I watched it every ride, and it never got any worse, sometimes didn't leak at all, but I changed it anyway, when I had time and didn't miss any riding.

fork leak.JPG

Last edited:
everyone, thank you for your valuable insight into this problem. I will take it to the dealer where i bought it and see if the mechanics think it is unsafe to ride in this condition. I do agree that safety is priority one , especially when you wrap a leg around the space shuttle:) If this is strictly a cosmetic issue, then i will keep riding until other symptoms occur.

As always, this site is an invaluable tool for the Hayabusa owners!!!

That is a very common problem with the T.I.N. coating. In 01 there were many GSX-R1000's with this very problem. The better way to go is the carbon nitride coating.

You won't have any major problems. Ride it until it starts leaking.

everyone, thank you for your valuable insight into this problem. I will take it to the dealer where i bought it and see if the mechanics think it is unsafe to ride in this condition. I do agree that safety is priority one , especially when you wrap a leg around the space shuttle:) If this is strictly a cosmetic issue, then i will keep riding until other symptoms occur.

As always, this site is an invaluable tool for the Hayabusa owners!!!

The dealer will surely tell you your putting yourself at risk. They'll saying anything to sell you something.

Wearing the coating like that with only 6400 miles on it? That's not right at all. You may have a fork tube that is slightly bent.

Change the fork fluid and check it for metal flakes. If it's really gray or has visible flakes you have a problem. Keep an eye out for leaks. Once it leaks it's a no-go for the street.

The nitride coating doesn't reduce the friction against the rubber seals enough to make a real difference in wear and tear. It's there for the other metal surfaces that make contact as the fork compresses and retracts.

Wearing the coating like that with only 6400 miles on it? That's not right at all. You may have a fork tube that is slightly bent.

Here's the funny thing.....when the coating started to come off, it started at the very bottom of the fork where it fits into the fork end, and the forks have NEVER compressed that far downward. I took it out Saturday which is when I noticed it, and at that time only about an inch or two had started to discolor at the bottom near the fork end.....the next day (Sunday) is when I took the pics that are posted in this thread. I have read that strong acids will remove the ti nitride coating, but no such compound is in close proximity to the bike....I am baffled. I have not looked at it today.

could there have been any caustic chemicals in the air in the garage near it? Even kerosene or gas?

could there have been any caustic chemicals in the air in the garage near it? Even kerosene or gas?

There are lawn tools and used motro oil, etc. in the shed with the bike.....all in sealed containers. (including the gas in the bike). If the coating is affected THAT easily, I would think that it wouldn't even be worth puttin it on there to begin with. I haven't ran it by the shop yet where I bought it to see what they say....I'm definitely gonna send Suzuki a very informative e-mail regarding this problem.

Back