Is it bent?

Pinky Winky

Donating Member
Registered
I was looking at my forks yesterday and the gold coating on one of the forks is worn down to the metal. Does this mean that the fork is bent and i need to replace it before I replace the fork seals or is it ok? I dont want to replace the seals just to have them go out again in a few thousand miles. Also what does a new fork cost? or just the lower fork tube?

Can you post a photo? You may just have a damaged bushing. Your fork tubes can still work without the anti-"stiction" coating (alodine treated).

If you end up needing new tubes, shell out a few bucks and get the new DLC (Diamond-Like Coating) style. The coating is not as soft as previous types of fork tube coatings.

If you dropped your bike, or were involved in some sort of accident then go with your gut. If you think the forks are bent, they probably are. You can always send them out for a check and a re-build, or you can tackle the job on your own.

I wrecked the bike about two months ago or so. but theres no noticable problems with the forks. I've been needing seals since my first wheelie on it. about three months now. I just dont want to replace the seals just to have them go out again. The spot on the fork is on the front of the tube and is about an inch long and half inch wide. Not very big. So could it just be from the seal needing to be replaced?

You can always remove it and check. Roll it on a known flat surface or use a straight edge.
Don't mean to be the spelling police, but I figured I'd let you know you spelled expense wrong in your quote...

I wrecked the bike about two months ago or so. but theres no noticable problems with the forks. I've been needing seals since my first wheelie on it. about three months now. I just dont want to replace the seals just to have them go out again. The spot on the fork is on the front of the tube and is about an inch long and half inch wide. Not very big. So could it just be from the seal needing to be replaced?

It is possible that the garter spring in the seal let loose and is rubbing the fork tube. You are going to be taking the leg apart for the seal replacement, so you may as well give the tube, and leg a good once over.

To check it you can do as was already suggested and roll the tube on a known flat surface. I do not trust that method for checking tubes. I would take the tube to a machinist and have them jig it on a lathe, or a truing stand. Have them check it for true and surface imperfections with a dial indicator, or better yet a test indicator. You can roll a tube on a perfectly flat surface, and it may show up OK with a visual inspection. If you check the same tube between two dead or live centers with a dial or test indicator, you may very well find the tube is damaged.

Just make a couple of cheap v blocks that will give you a pretty good idea if it's bent.

Back