Help with Fork Seal

aka Danksy

Registered
OK SO

My left fork seal is TOAST but fortunately I have the bike apart right now

Anyone know what it would cost to have the fork seal replaced at a dealer If I bring them just the fork leg and not the bike?

I know the parts are cheap but other than thattt, Im clueless:please:

Mine wanted $120 so I followed the instructions on here and did it myself. Hardest part is just making the tool to use, but once you do it's not that bad.

$120???

That seems like a lot for $17 worth of parts....

2 hours labor? I would think it would take me a lot longer but a mechanic? really?

anyone else have any thoughts? I realize theres tons of DIY on here but time is an issue

$120???

That seems like a lot for $17 worth of parts....

2 hours labor? I would think it would take me a lot longer but a mechanic? really?

anyone else have any thoughts? I realize theres tons of DIY on here but time is an issue
120 doesn't seem high to me for 2 hrs labor, labor rate here at the dealer is 90.00 an hour but my tech charged me 40 bucks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Seals cost me $75 for both sides.

I am doing it myself using the instructions on here - that is... when Flat Out send me the darned seals!

Its an easy job, like the man said, once you have the spring compressor and all.

Time shouldn't be an issue, it's going to take about as much time to prop the front of the bike up and remove the forks and put them back on as it is to replace the seal. Shoot, in the time it takes to drive to your dealer and back to pick them up you'll have the bike already put back together and running!! It's a very quick job to do, just follow the guide mike1180 posted and save yourself the cash!

One more thing, while you have the bike torn apart go ahead and do both seals!

Last edited:
$120 wouldn't kill me I am just pretty high on my bill with them right now.

So whats the cost of both seals an Oil?

$120 wouldn't kill me I am just pretty high on my bill with them right now.

So whats the cost of both seals an Oil?

Seals depends on the dealer.....seems some guys are paying a lot. Mine charged me $14 for Suzuki seals, fork oil was about $8 and it took right about a full quart.

you can also get the tools you need from traxxion dynamics. I got a set from them last year when I did my fork seals. You may want to also read the jinxster attacks suspenion post that's been stickied in the maintenance & do it yourself forum, that way you can customize your suspension settings. Here's a little tutorial you may want to read through for the fork service; it was a wealth of information when I did mine:https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/57010-fork-service-how.html

Back