Replacing your leaking fork seals

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I have read several posts lately about fork seals. Mostly members wanting to know what it should cost to replace their leaking fork seals. I replaced a seal today and timed myself to see just how long the operation would take?

Removing the fork leg from the bike was about a 15 minute job. Very simple and easy to do. Remove the front wheel loosen the clamps and slide the fork leg out. Oh yes, don't forget to remove the screws holding the fender to the fork leg.

Once the fork leg was removed, I wiped the excess oil off, laid it out on the work bench looked at my watch and 35 minutes later, I had both the oil seal and dust seal replaced, poured in the required amount of fork oil and it was ready to reinstall on the bike.

The Dust Seal - 51173-02FA0 $20.79
The Oil Seal - 51153-02FA0 $18.99

I took the time to take photos of the operation which was included in the 35 minute repair. Once you have done this a couple of times it's pretty easy to do the entire opperation in an hour. If you've never replaced your own seals, just buy a manual and follow the instructions. It's very easy and takes minimal tools.

cool! I need to replace my right fork seals too. Too many wheelies.
wow.gif

Back