Can i just change the Dust seals on the forks?

lewissykes88

Registered
Hi i was just wondering, on my busa on the left fork the dust seal is damaged, can i just replace the one dust seal or do you have to take the whole fork and do the rest?

Yes, you can just replace the dust seal... however, you have to take the fork apart to replace the dust seal. If you are taking the fork apart, you may as well change the seal and the fluid. If you are doing one side, then you may as well do both sides.

I did mine last spring. It took an evening... after I fabricated some tools. There are several how-to threads on this site.

If you do decide to replace the dust cap make sure you get the wipers too. It would suck to get the fork apart and find you need to replace the wiper and not have it on hand.

Yes, you can just replace the dust seal... however, you have to take the fork apart to replace the dust seal. If you are taking the fork apart, you may as well change the seal and the fluid. If you are doing one side, then you may as well do both sides.

I did mine last spring. It took an evening... after I fabricated some tools. There are several how-to threads on this site.

+1 on this, just follow the how to under the diy section https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/57010-fork-service-how-3.html Download the pdf in post 51, it gives a very good walk thru. I did this and had no problems, first time I ever did it.

I just finished lowering a set of forks internally, and changing the seals.

I cannot believe I was afraid ot change the seals for so long, it is easy!

I would recommend buying a seal driver off of Amazon, etc.... Makes installing the seals foolproof

Back