Leaking front forks or not?

steelhead

Registered
My gold front forks ON BOTH SIDES have a very very...very... thin film of oil where there is suspension action.

The forks are not leaking like you would see when the oil seal is broken.

I noticed it because the dirt collects on the front forks and forms a dirt ring where the suspension contracts and retracts.

Is this normal, or should my forks be bone dry of any oil residue?

I noticed the same thing on a 2006 Hayabusa, so this "phenomenon" is basically something I've seen before on new bikes, too.

Are my forks leaking? Or is it normal to see this dust ring I mentioned?

Thanks.
SteelHead

Hmmmm, mine are dryr than a sandbox. Are U riding the Yukon trial to work or what ? Just seems rare to have two bikes with leaky fork seals unless you're riding on dirt roads.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150799369 -->

sometimes when I hit the front break hard, then it does that...(one side showed ring marks...) then I change the habits of using double breaking front breaks? its gone now...(just not to put too much actions on front shocks) its not the seals...if the nose dive too hard few times, I think all of em do that...hows soju life going on out there? are you holding up pretty good? say hello to all the pilots over there for me...will ya?
biggrin.gif

A very thin film of residue is perfectly normal. Believe me when they start leaking you see drops of oil on the spot you parked. Ask me how I know.

don't know how much this actually helps, but I wipe down the forks often (at least 3 times a month) with just a bit of WD-40. Maybe just lucky, but my forks are fine after 25,000 miles and about 2 years and 3 months later. That's compared to Busahaya's that he got his bike 4 months after I did but starting leaking about 4 months ago and he had to replace his.

Thanks for the input. So how did you find a pool of oil beneath your forks?

Hydra: I'm working hard in Seoul and enjoying any free time I can. I found a nice set of roads that go about 40 km from Dangogae to Toegyewon back to Taernung fun for practicing: mountain tunnel, mountain roads, city traffic, country roads, highway, country highway, railway intersections...and a nice spot just to relax and have a smoke and enjoy the weather...and cheap gas, that is, 1512 Won per liter, if you can call that cheap.

Back