This is why I detest unions!

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
Let it be known that I appreciate hard working individuals, union or otherwise. And while unions had their place, I feel they are unnecessary and a drain on our economy in many respects. But my recent run-ins with UPS have strengthened my convictions.

A little background: My business ships daily with UPS, about 20 packages on average. We have been a paying customer of UPS for almost 20 years and even supported them during the strike by using USPS instead of a competing carrier.

About 4 months ago, we had a sub driver on our route. He was routinely delivering packages at the same time that he was picking up. While this is not technically a policy violation, it is considered a service issue. After the 5th day of getting my deliveries at 4:30PM, I told the driver "we can't live with this, what can we do about our delivery time?" He ignored me. I mean, completely ignored, dead silence until he pulled away and said "have a nice day." (And no, he can hear perfectly well, it was quite obvious what was going on.) So I raised holy hell with his route supervisor and my sales person. Service returned to normal and I never saw him again.......

...until this week. So he's back, but no delivery issues until today. He does the exact same thing, 4:30 delivery at the same time as our pickup. I can't do business like this, I have J.I.T. shipments that need to be turned around same day. So this time he speaks, but every word is condescending and arrogant. So he departs and I make it known that I'll be calling my sales rep.

I called everyone I could reach and reported him for being a general jackass and a putz, not necessarily in those words. And I actually had a sympathetic ear at UPS who said he was not terribly fond of this guy either. But you know what's the worst part of this story? They can't fire him! Not without major cause. The Teamsters are too powerful and you practically have to make a case for murder before they can terminate. So I am left with this guy who may or may not be placed on my route again making half-assed deliveries and being a general ass.

So yea, if you read this far, let me know if you have any suggestions. I normally would never think of having someone fired, but this guy absolutely deserves it, and I would actually be pleased it it happened, he is obviously hiding behind the union, otherwise he wouldn't risk $30+/hr and great benefits by being such an ass to paying customers.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Go to FedEx. The best way to show your unhappiness is to take your business elsewhere.

Nothing says it better than exercising your power of choice, especially to go from Brown to Fed Up, er, I mean, Fed Ex. Good luck, Von!! :beerchug:

The sad thing is, once my packages leave my door, I have great experience with UPS. And their software integration is second to none as it works with my accounting system, so I'm somewhat tied in unless I want to cut off my nose to spite my face. It's very frustrating to say the least.

I had to type out this story, otherwise I wouldn't sleep tonight. I let things like this eat at me....I don't know why.

Thanks guys

hmm...... Dont understand how YOU blame the union for someone that did not serve you well?
How many do you employ?

hmm...... Dont understand how YOU blame the union for someone that did not serve you well?
How many do you employ?

10 people.

I don't blame the union for the poor service, I blame them for instituting a fear based system that makes it next to impossible to terminate detrimental employees. UPS is absolutely beholden to the Teasmsters as was evident 10 years ago when they completely caved after weeks of being on strike.

Like I said, nothing against hard working folks, but some people really do take advantage of the union influence.

10 people.

I don't blame the union for the poor service, I blame them for instituting a fear based system that makes it next to impossible to terminate detrimental employees. UPS is absolutely beholden to the Teasmsters as was evident 10 years ago when they completely caved after weeks of being on strike.

Like I said, nothing against hard working folks, but some people really do take advantage of the union influence.

Fair enough.... guess the post title throw me......

As for your 10 emplyees...
Pension
Dental
Health
10% vacation pay?

Fair enough.... guess the post title throw me......

As for your 10 emplyees...
Pension
Dental
Health
10% vacation pay?

No pension, but I do offer health and dental. Not sure I follow you on the 10% vacation pay. They get full pay on vacation, but I doubt that's what you mean.

I think I know where you're going with this...

No pension, but I do offer health and dental. Not sure I follow you on the 10% vacation pay. They get full pay on vacation, but I doubt that's what you mean.

I think I know where you're going with this...

Ok... good enough.

Hope things go better for you. Like they said... you have choice.

You work for Ground or Express? If Ground, do you own your own route?

neither. i work for Fedex Services as i am a systems administrator (read:computer geek) for the corporate side of the house. we had one layoff session... dont want another lol.

teamster 179 illinois 15+ . 10 more and i can jump.
union protection or not that union brother is running all day

Last edited:
I know...I do have a choice, but I suppose it's less painful to try and work this out with UPS. It's still maddening that any company, union or not, would allow this person to interact with customers. I remember when UPS was the standard bearer of professionalism. You were held to the highest standards and getting a job with them was next to impossible. It's sad to see a once great company get tarnished like this.

teamster 179 illinis 15+ . 10 more and i can jump.
union protection or not that union brother is running all day

Yeah, but he's running a lot slower than anyone else on my route considering that he's only making one stop per company. ;) There have been several other subs that get the route done in a timely manner without resorting to single pickup/delivery.

Last edited:
UNION YES
I rember when i was a young gun
running setting world on fire..if you dont like it f u
now it all pays the same with a SMILE

Find out the drivers route and talk to all of UPS customers. You probably will find a few who are willing to lodge a complaint. Maybe if they start getting enough complaints they will move him up to supervisor. That always happened in the government jobs!!! :whistle:

Find out who the district manager is and write him a letter like so:

dear manager:

I have been a customer with UPS for over 20 years and spend an average of $xxx/month with UPS. I have supported UPS through all these years even through the strike by using USPS instead of another delivery service.

The service and integration UPS offers is usually top-notch. I really like the fact that your systems integrate with mine and normally have no issues with service.

I run a JIT (Just-In-Time) business and UPS has done well to accommodate an AM delivery followed by a PM pickup. My business is such that I require both the early drop-off and late pickup.

Lately, I have been reduced to once a day pickup/delivery. This has impacted my business negatively and I do not know how much longer my customers will put up with delays in shipping.

I do not know the reason for the change, however without having twice a day service, I will have to evaluate options to keep my customers satisfied. I would like to stay with UPS - but without customers I will not be in business

Please write or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss how together we can continue our long standing relationship and I can continue to effectively ship my products to my customers.

Best regards,

Vonderbach

cc:
Christine M. Owens
Senior Vice President, Communications and Brand Management

Not sure I follow.....not sure I want to.

ups will dump him based on performance..
and you will get a guy that just does his job and has a SMILE
Its simple when a person enjoys his job he smiles
untill then u will get guys there for the money
But really i just chimed in for a giggle.
I feel your pain poor service sucks

Back