Thinking about a trip to the Gap from Florida

TallTom

Registered
Ok I am giving some thought to making a run to the Gap in the next week or so. East Central Coast of Fla to the Gap and I'm thinking via Gainsville, Ga route. I have run up the coast to South Carolina. Nice run. But I'd like to try somethig new.

Prefer to avoid Atlanta so I'm looking at the up the middle of Fla. into Ga to Gainsville and picking up 129 there.

Any of you guys and gals want to give me some help/recommendations as to good route choices, stops, places to see along the way etc.

I'm not set in stone to go via Gainsville, it is just a thought on a map at this point.

Then after the Gap I may go up north a little more before it looks like weather may be problem.

So with an pen mind and a thank you ahead of time to any help you can give me.

Sorry cant help so much on route, BUT have warm clothing or suit it's been mid 20's to 30's in the morning in the mountains, and around 50's in the afternoon. Im sure FL is alot warmer then that right now.
Jon(Loomis).

Brrrr is all I'm thinking...once you leave FL, it'll be a chilly ride
winkold.gif

We are about 25-30 degress warmer thna that at this point in time. And yes I am watching weather real hard as well.

Was there a little over a week ago rode up from sarasota just south of tampa.We took u.s. 129 just about all the way,great road much better than I-75.Also another nice road is 441 both take a little longer but much more relaxed.Have fun.

Hey Tom, ever mount those bags?

The last time I rode up, I rode 17 to 495(?) around Jacksonville, then US1 to Vidalia, then GA 15 to Watkinsville, 441 to Murphy, then 28 over to the Gap. It was a nice, easy ride.

Have fun.

So, when are you planning to make this trip? I have so good ideas for routes... I also would suggest riding the N. GA mountains in your quest to get to the GAP. Look up Suches or Dahlonega GA on Google Map, Dahlonega may be a better place to stay in GA. I am not to sure about the routes from East to West, that's if you are coming up I-95. But if you come straight up I-75 and go North of Atlanta, there are enough roads up here to keep you busy for several days doing the loops, One of the loops in to the GAP.

Let me know more details and I will try to give you more pointed information. And if you are riding on the weekend, I may be able to meet you up in the N. GA mountains or if I have enough time, run the GAP.

OK well it looks like it won't be as planned. My mom called me in a panic. My 86 year old dad just took a turn in health. Heading up there now. Will check in when I can. Thanks for the advice so far but me thinks it will be a tad bit cold in about 3 weeks. I will watch weather and see how it looks when I get back.

Aww..sorry to hear about ur dad... Where in fl are you guys>> Im in Sarasota. Im a NOOB to longer rides, some nice rides would be fun with a small group...
smile.gif

Powers I PM'd you.

BuellBomB. Bags are great. However I went with a full set of Tourmasters now. Tank tail and saddlebags. Can pack for a month now....lol.

CDi. I'm across the state from you in Melbourne. Like 3 hours normally. I take day or weekend trips over your way. There are some GREAT destinations in Fla. Try Cedar Key over your way. Fantastic old Florida fishing village.

Up the panhandle from you is a good long weekend. Grayton Beach is a must see. Been as far south as the Keys. That would be a definite mutliday trip from you there.

Of course Daytona will be the bike Meca in March. 600,000+ last year there. I am sort of getting over the Daytona scene. Wall to wall people and bikes and traffic and overheats and $$$$ for everything now.

TallTom... soory to hear about your Dad. Hope all turns out for the best. If you want to ride, I will be doing a little loop around Lake Okeechobee the Friday after Thanksgiving, nice easy ride with friends, you are only 60 miles North of me. Might even hit Ft. Pierce for Bike night on Thursday night, if you have never been you should check it out. Old downtown Ft. Pierce, streets closed off, 200-300 bikes at times, I have not been in a while. Keep in touch and I will hook you up with some routes up here in GA or down in S. FL if you want.

Back