One more Deal's Gap trip

jwcfbd

Administrator
Donating Member
Registered
Friday 8/15 I meet up with BusaBen and we headed up to the Gap from GA. We had a great ride up to the top of one of GAs mountains were we stopped for a break.

While setting up there this guy stopped by to talk.  He wants to start riding and asked the ever popular question.  Is the Busa a good first bike?  Well here's Ben telling him why it's probably a bad idea.  When Ben told him to start out on something old and cheap he told us that he roller blades and mountain bikes.  He went on to say that when he first started out he bought cheap and once he did it for awhile he had to throw away them away and buy better stuff.  This was a waste of money so he just wants to start out BIG on the Best.  And NO he has NEVER riden any kind of bike before but atleast he does plan on taking the MSC.

Once we got away from the man on top of the mountain we rode for about another hour and stopped for gas and drink. (Ben you know what I'm going to say next :laugh: )
As I was coming around the corner from a visit to the mens room I hear this horrible sound. I look up to see a group of people standing around Ben asking if he is ok. Ben put new meaning to the saying "Dying of thirst" it was his thirst that almost killed him. He choked on his water and was gasping for air. After a few minutes he was ok but the officer that was there keep us around for a while talking and asking if Ben was OK. After about 30 mins we pressed on. We ran the Skyway and made our way to the gap and then onto the hotel were we meet the other guys that we were to ride with.

We all got together and went out for dinner Friday night then it was decided that we would ride into Gatlinburg. Once we got there we hear that it was raining in Pigeon Forge. Wouldn't you know it that is where we were staying. We made a mad dash for the hotel but no dice. We made it within two miles and it started to spit. With one mile left the bottom fell out. It rained buckets, I couldn't see anything because my visor fogged. I had to open it but then my glasses got wet so all I could do is slow way down and watch the center line of the road back to the hotel. When we got there my buddy went to open his trailer but forgot the key in his room. I could have killed him We finally got the bike secured for the night and made our best attempts to dry out our gear for Saturdays ride.

Saturday we got up and headed out. We made it through the Gap and stopped at the Cross roads of time where we meet up with another guy I work with.

We then rode to some land that he is going to build on in the future and had lunch. You can tell that his wife likes bike because she set up parking spots for each of us.

We eat lunch and then headed back out.  We made it about two miles and stopped for gas when it started to look like rain again.  Some other riders came up from the direction that we needed to go and said it was raining cats and dogs.  At that point Ben decided that it was as good as any to make his was back to GA.  That is when we parted ways.  (It was great meeting you Ben hope to do it again soon.)  We hung out at the gas station for about 30 mins and the rain came and went.  So off we (the other three guys that we meet up there and myself) went.  The roads were were wet so we had to take it easy.  We then decided to head back out to the Skyway and had a blast riding on the dry roads out there.  Well time kind of got away from us so we had to beat feet back to the hotel so we didn't have to ride the Gap and a very bad detour in the dark.  We just made it to the main roads before sundown.   :eek:

I forgot one other part of Ben's and my ride up Friday.  I adjusted and cleaned my chain a little to good the night before and it started making bad noises.  To anyone thinking about getting a center stand for there Busa it comes in VERY handy.  As I sat on the side of the Skyway with my little Busa tool set in hand adjusting my chain that was way to tight. All I could do is think if this thing breaks up here I'm screwed.  
This picture is for you Big O.  I know how much you liked my chain out in CA last month.  :laugh:  

All in all we had a great trip with no major problems.  No one got hurt maybe just a little spooked. :laugh:

thumb2.gif
thumb.gif

Cool beans. Sorry I barely missed you guys but it sounds like you had fun. Maybe next time.

I know how it feels about being in the pouring rain. At least we did not get rained on at all while we were on the Dragon or headed to it. We did get stuck in it on the way home though and it was horrible but I just slowed down and watched the center line like you did. My shield was so fogged up I could not see for crap. I wonder if rain-ex works for helmet shields?

I forgot one other part of Ben's and my ride up Friday.  I adjusted and cleaned my chain a little to good the night before and it started making bad noises.  To anyone thinking about getting a center stand for there Busa it comes in VERY handy.  As I sat on the side of the Skyway with my little Busa tool set in hand adjusting my chain that was way to tight.  All I could do is think if this thing breaks up here I'm screwed.  
This picture is for you Big O.  I know how much you liked my chain out in CA last month.  :laugh:  
Ed Bargy says, "It ain't no bow string, loosen that up; lose is good, tight just ain't right!"

Jim,
When I left, the bottom dropped out of the sky. It rained cats and dogs. I had to stop under a tree and get the rain suit on or I would have been soaked. I had a great time, but I had a lot of rain to drive through on the way home. It was at least clear on the section of Hwy 28 between Hwy 74 and Franklin.

I know it was a good trip because my rear tire was smoked when I got home. However, I just got a new BT010 at my door yesterday so I'm going to take a few guys up there this weekend for another shot at the dragon and cherohala skyway. Some of these guys have never done this loop before so I'm going to break these rookies in right!

So how did the knew seat feel to ya >>>>>> any comment Ben,

Rhythm Posted on Aug. 19 2003,9:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how did the knew seat feel to ya >>>>>> any comment Ben, [/QUOTE]

The Tobin seat is great. No butt burn at all. The stocker would start hurting after about an hour or so. If I had ridden pretty hard for a whole day( 10 hours or more) on the stock saddle, I would be sore for a day or two afterwards.

Jim,
When I left, the bottom dropped out of the sky.  It rained cats and dogs.  I had to stop under a tree and get the rain suit on or I would have been soaked.  I had a great time, but I had a lot of rain to drive through on the way home.  It was at least clear on the section of Hwy 28 between Hwy 74 and Franklin.  

I know it was a good trip because my rear tire was smoked when I got home.  However, I just got a new BT010 at my door yesterday so I'm going to take a few guys up there this weekend for another shot at the dragon and cherohala skyway.  Some of these guys have never done this loop before so I'm going to break these rookies in right!
I'm glad you had a great time but that does suck about the rain. Hopefully your next trip will be a dry one. Have fun

EAKbusa>> on the bottle of Rain-X it says not to use on any plastic products so I haven't tried that. I clean mine with Honda Kleen ( causes water to bead up nicely ) and when the rain gets really bad just turn my head a little bit to let the wind take the water beads away. Works just fine.

Great pics! Now I just need to get out there and give it a run

Back