Thinkin' of sellin' the busa...

Go buy a ten speed bicycle, its the same principle, keep your balance and learn to turn and lean.. Dont get rid of your bike just get some balance and practice turning slow.

CAp

Well... Bulletrain...  Bro, it sounds kinda like you have allready made up your mind...  Though I still think a few track days and a Good Racing school will help you get past this.  Besides, the Busa isn't designed for low speed, tight conditions anyway, it's a big ole' mutha designed for the fast sweepers and seriously fun top end.  This last Sunday I spent all day wrestling the Busa through 90deg 20MPH corners, it's not Ideal conditions for the Busa, but it gets through all the same.   I dunno, you go do what you have to do Bro, just don't think that because you sell your Busa, that your off the hook for photos and such around here...  
wink.gif

I kinda think you missed my point though in regards to 1000's.  I am saying they are MORE dangerous and you are more likely to be trapped into an intimidation trap on one of them than the Busa...
You're right, and that's my point. The busa isn't best suited for the skillz I'm weakest in. You're also prolly right about the 1k's bein' too much for what I wanna learn. My initial gut instinct was to go with a solid handlin' 600 (prolly a CBR600RR based on the mag reviews. Smooth, stable handlin' and smooth power delivery...) and really learn to RIDE even if it may be a little underpowered for my big ass. Maybe I need to give up all the power and ragged edge stuff for a while and just truly learn to ride.
rock.gif

FWIW, the popular opinion on the other board so far is go with a 600. Maybe I am still tryin' to outclass my ridin' by gettin' in over my head with a 1k. Is that the point you were tryin' to make? Maybe I did miss it.
Yeah Bro, What I am trying to get at is that if your a little over whelmed by the Busa you will probably find the 1000 even more of a handful. They have nearly the power of the Busa with 100lbs less weight... Tighter handling, more on the edge of stability. I have ridden an 03 Gixxer 1000 and an 04 R1, and to be honest the Gixxer was creepy while the R1 Felt like a crazed 600... I am telling ya that while the Busa is a Poor choice for learning... It is a better choice in my opinion than ANY of the Current 1000's...

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Don't do it Chris!</span>

Seriously!

I thought when I read your descriptions of riding Da Train that you were quite an experienced rider.  Granted low speed manuvering is necesary, but it is a minimal portion of riding.  Jest get out in a parking lot and practice on yer baby.

You don't want a smaller bike.  You'll be disapointed IMHO.

Keep it and learn on it.  My 750 Kat was only 50 lbs lighter than the Busa (I ride over a scale 2 or 3 times a week), it was no big change (other than almost 2x the HP!
biggrin.gif
)
I've built a decent set of skills when it comes to ridin' fast and ridin' hard in mild to moderate twisties, but I'm just not gettin' where I wanna be. I want the REAL twisty action and I wanna learn to be fast. The weight of the busa just keeps me from bein' comfortable throwin' it around in the harder stuff. I've gotten by so far, but I'm really jonesin' for a lighter, more nimble ride.

I'm lookin' at one option that would allow me to have two bikes, but it would mean that I'd have to give up some other things I have. Thing is, if I go with a good 600 and don't keep the busa too, I will have some funds to spend on some racin' schools and some track days. Like Rev said, that would put me WAY ahead on the learning curve compared to keepin' both bikes and not bein' able to afford schools and track time. I'm really lookin' at the long run here. I know for a fact that I'll end up with another busa, God willin'. I just want to further my ridin' education and expand my skill set and bag of tricks.

I think the thrill of takin' some good classes and doin' some track days will keep me from bein' too disappointed with this decision as long as it's temporary. I know I could take classes and do track days on the busa, I'm just not comfortable with that idea.

It's not for good, bro. I'm just lookin' at investin' a year or two into my ridin' future. Who knows, maybe they will redo the busa before I'm ready to come back to the dark side and I can get the latest, greatest version of the monster then. I think it's inevitable that they will at least redo stylin' in the next couple of years. It'd be cool to learn how to REALLY ride and then come back to an all new busa.
firedevil.gif

Wow....Da Train seems to be hangin by a thread here, if I believe correctly.

BT...before I start, I want you to know that you're my bro...and always will be. Heck, when I move out to Washington next year, you can bet I'm gettin a plane ticket to come see you and toss a coupla cold ones!
beerchug.gif
Whatever your decision is, I'll respect it....AND you'll still be my bro!

Now I'm not gonna flame you or anything, I'm just gonna give you my honest opinion. Regarding the flickability of the Busa, I know that she can be a heavy sumbidge. What I've also found out is that with enough upper body and leg strength (I know you have both, bro) she can be almost as flickable as the lighter bikes. It's all a matter of REALLY getting to know your baby. If that don't help, you can always shave weight off of her. Plenty things you can do regarding that.

In terms of riding skill, I think that a rider needs to evaluate him/her self as to what he/she wants in regards to the above. If you're looking to become an all-out track racer, then yeah, you can put the Busa off. If you're looking to blow away every twisty you come across, then maybe you can also consider something other than a busa. I won't go on about the qualities of the Busa....we all know them firsthand. Comfort, speed, etc...we know it. The Busa can also perform fairly well in those low-speed conditions as well. 90 degree, 20mph turns can be handled by the Busa...no probs.

One thing I will point out about those litre bikes is that yes, they are fast...but they also do something else to the rider: they can sometimes give the impression that their riding skill is better than what they actually have. Havin a bike that is so easy to flick around a turn does wonders for the ego...and I daresay that sometimes it lulls their rider into thinking that they have more skill than they actually do. On top of that, when you go to a 600 and then get back on a Busa, it's going to be two totally different worlds...I'm sure you know that.

You can also look at it this way: imagine your riding skill level if you were able to do the same things on a Busa that a another rider would be able to do on a lighter, more agile bike. I think that would speak volumes. I'm by no means the greatest racer on this earth, but I've scraped pegs and coulda touched my knee down (if I had leathers and pucks) on my Busa. I've been able to hold my own in the pack through the twisties...and while I know that  really good rider will hand my ass to me on a sliver platter, I also know that if I practiced hard on my Busa, I could hold my own. I've rode a Gixx 1k, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like it. Sure it was flickable and felt super light, but I felt that there was an extreme lack of stability on it. I'd only consider one if most of my time was going to be spent on the track or rippin through some twisties.

I guess all it boils down to is what the rider wants for himself, why he wants it, and what he's gonna achieve with it. For me, the Busa is the way to go...even though I know it has certain limitations in the weight and flickability department. IMHO, I believe that the rider is most limited by how much he knows about the bike. Now I'm not sayin you don't know her, I just feel that it's really hard to get to know a bike in less than two years...unless of course you ride her every day and practice everything and anything under the sun with her. Even when we do that, the bike can still suprise us.

I dunno if I made any sense in that mindless babble up there. I seem to have lost my train of thought. Oh well...
biggrin.gif
 do what you feel is in the best interests of yourself, bro.

All I'll say is don't give up on Da 'Train without first givin her AND yourself the chance to really know eachother. Peace, bro...
wink.gif

Oh yeah...and I'm by no means considerin myself a Busa Guru or sumpin'. I'm just offerin my viewpoint. You know it's all love, bro.
beerchug.gif
cool.gif

HOLY SALMON STICKS!!! This is the longest useful post I've ever done...I think.
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: "uuuh....."|1087354182 -->

beerchug.gif

Well... Bulletrain...  Bro, it sounds kinda like you have allready made up your mind...  Though I still think a few track days and a Good Racing school will help you get past this.  Besides, the Busa isn't designed for low speed, tight conditions anyway, it's a big ole' mutha designed for the fast sweepers and seriously fun top end.  This last Sunday I spent all day wrestling the Busa through 90deg 20MPH corners, it's not Ideal conditions for the Busa, but it gets through all the same.   I dunno, you go do what you have to do Bro, just don't think that because you sell your Busa, that your off the hook for photos and such around here...  
wink.gif

I kinda think you missed my point though in regards to 1000's.  I am saying they are MORE dangerous and you are more likely to be trapped into an intimidation trap on one of them than the Busa...
You're right, and that's my point. The busa isn't best suited for the skillz I'm weakest in. You're also prolly right about the 1k's bein' too much for what I wanna learn. My initial gut instinct was to go with a solid handlin' 600 (prolly a CBR600RR based on the mag reviews. Smooth, stable handlin' and smooth power delivery...) and really learn to RIDE even if it may be a little underpowered for my big ass. Maybe I need to give up all the power and ragged edge stuff for a while and just truly learn to ride.
rock.gif

FWIW, the popular opinion on the other board so far is go with a 600. Maybe I am still tryin' to outclass my ridin' by gettin' in over my head with a 1k. Is that the point you were tryin' to make? Maybe I did miss it.
Yeah Bro, What I am trying to get at is that if your a little over whelmed by the Busa you will probably find the 1000 even more of a handful.  They have nearly the power of the Busa with 100lbs less weight...  Tighter handling, more on the edge of stability.  I have ridden an 03 Gixxer 1000 and an 04 R1, and to be honest the Gixxer was creepy while the R1 Felt like a crazed 600...  I am telling ya that while the Busa is a Poor choice for learning...  It is a better choice in my opinion than ANY of the Current 1000's...
Makes sense. After readin' the posts and suggestions on the other board I realized that I was still tryin' to go with too much bike with a 1k. I'm seriously thinkin' that a good solid handlin' 600 is really the way to go if I do this. I'm thinkin' CBR600RR. All the mags rave about it's rock solid stability and smooth power delivery. The suspension is supposed to be top notch, too. I'm gonna find one in stock to look at this weekend. I guess I'll go from there. Also gonna look at the gixxer6 and 7fiddy.

You said it best. Schools and track days would do wonders for my skills. I'm just not comfortable doin' 'em on the busa due to it's size and weight. I dunno, we'll see... It's really a tough decision to make.
drooling3.gif

Wow....Da Train seems to be hangin by a thread here, if I believe correctly.

BT...before I start, I want you to know that you're my bro...and always will be. Heck, when I move out to Washington next year, you can bet I'm gettin a plane ticket to come see you and toss a coupla cold ones!
beerchug.gif
Whatever your decision is, I'll respect it....AND you'll still be my bro!

Now I'm not gonna flame you or anything, I'm just gonna give you my honest opinion. Regarding the flickability of the Busa, I know that she can be a heavy sumbidge. What I've also found out is that with enough upper body and leg strength (I know you have both, bro) she can be almost as flickable as the lighter bikes. It's all a matter of REALLY getting to know your baby. If that don't help, you can always shave weight off of her. Plenty things you can do regarding that.

In terms of riding skill, I think that a rider needs to evaluate him/her self as to what he/she wants in regards to the above. If you're looking to become an all-out track racer, then yeah, you can put the Busa off. If you're looking to blow away every twisty you come across, then maybe you can also consider something other than a busa. I won't go on about the qualities of the Busa....we all know them firsthand. Comfort, speed, etc...we know it. The Busa can also perform fairly well in those low-speed conditions as well. 90 degree, 20mph turns can be handled by the Busa...no probs.

One thing I will point out about those litre bikes is that yes, they are fast...but they also do something else to the rider: they can sometimes give the impression that their riding skill is better than what they actually have. Havin a bike that is so easy to flick around a turn does wonders for the ego...and I daresay that sometimes it lulls their rider into thinking that they have more skill than they actually do. On top of that, when you go to a 600 and then get back on a Busa, it's going to be two totally different worlds...I'm sure you know that.

You can also look at it this way: imagine your riding skill level if you were able to do the same things on a Busa that a another rider would be able to do on a lighter, more agile bike. I think that would speak volumes. I'm by no means the greatest racer on this earth, but I've scraped pegs and coulda touched my knee down (if I had leathers and pucks) on my Busa. I've been able to hold my own in the pack through the twisties...and while I know that  really good rider will hand my ass to me on a sliver platter, I also know that if I practiced hard on my Busa, I could hold my own. I've rode a Gixx 1k, and to tell you the truth, I didn't like it. Sure it was flickable and felt super light, but I felt that there was an extreme lack of stability on it. I'd only consider one if most of my time was going to be spent on the track or rippin through some twisties.

I guess all it boils down to is what the rider wants for himself, why he wants it, and what he's gonna achieve with it. For me, the Busa is the way to go...even though I know it has certain limitations in the weight and flickability department. IMHO, I believe that the rider is most limited by how much he knows about the bike. Now I'm not sayin you don't know her, I just feel that it's really hard to get to know a bike in less than two years...unless of course you ride her every day and practice everything and anything under the sun with her. Even when we do that, the bike can still suprise us.

I dunno if I made any sense in that mindless babble up there. I seem to have lost my train of thought. Oh well...
biggrin.gif
 do what you feel is in the best interests of yourself, bro.

All I'll say is don't give up on Da 'Train without first givin her AND yourself the chance to really know eachother. Peace, bro...
wink.gif

Oh yeah...and I'm by no means considerin myself a Busa Guru or sumpin'. I'm just offerin my viewpoint. You know it's all love, bro.
beerchug.gif
cool.gif

HOLY SALMON STICKS!!! This is the longest useful post I've ever done...I think.
laugh.gif
Your points are excellent Pac, and well taken. And yes, a busa CAN be thrown around by a good rider. The thing is, I'm coming to realize that I'm NOT that good rider. I'm an ok rider who wants to learn to be really good and I'm just not comfortable learning those skills (not just low speed, but serious twisty ridin") on a big bike. I just can't help but believe that I could learn SOOO much more, SOOO much faster on a more agile bike. Then, when I've developed those skills and I'm more confident in those areas I can come back to the busa, transfer those skills over to 'er, and then learn how to REALLY whip 'er ass the way I want to be able to.

Ya'll have to understand that it really is tough for me to make this decision. I do NOT wanna give up the busa. It's just that I've reached a point that I feel like I'm cheatin' myself if I don't put my ego in my pocket and learn some real skills on a more suited bike. At this point I pretty much feel like ego and pride are the only reasons not to do this. Well, other than lovin' the busa. As far as that goes though, as I said, it's not permanent. It's just until I can build the basic sport ridin' skill set that I should have built before I bought a hypersport bike like the busa. My dirt and limited street ridin' didn't prepare me for sport ridin' as well as I thought it had...

beerchug.gif

bullet

Decide what you want,

I had both , I am now feeling the opposite from my r1.....

I got sick and tired of getting blown around on the lighter bike the busa is much more stable, but ....

If you want something better handling, and honestly ill tell ya I felt the power AND RUSH ON MY R1 WAS MORE ABRUPT than the busa might not have the top end like a busa but they are fun the passenger hates it and hates you after shes been on it 5 min or so

but you wont be dissapointed with a litre bike thats for sure, the busa is more a street bike but dont get a 600 I saw you picture youll killit.

In that case, do what you feel is best for YOU...and only you. That's the only way you're truly going to be satisfied...and that's all that matters.

CBR 600's rock. They're pretty hardy machines, and they can also be tons of fun. I would recommend a 750, though. It'll offer you a good balance of speed and agility....and it'll be a step below the litres.

Yer my bro...and you know I got your back in whatever you decide.
beerchug.gif
Ride hard and stay safe, my bro!

This is just a joke, right? Did april 1st come around again? ;) I was gonna quote Revlis and add DITTO, but felt compelled to get personal. If you ride with enough skilled busa people, you can see what the bike is capable of.... and what YOU can eventually make it do. That's what inspires me to hike it over more, trust my traction and feel and ride pretty good in twisties. I took mine to the track and gained even more confidence. I doubt you have even hit the halfway mark of busa's abilities on the street. Trust me on this - the track opens up another whole level of spanking the bike you can never reach on the street, I don't care what kind of street it is. I don't feel the bike holding you back as much as you are holding yourself back with the bike as the reason. You will loose SO MUCH going to a literbike and only gain SOME turning due to shorter wheelbase. When I hit the wheelbase turning issue, I just lean it more and it smiles and says, "Thought you'd never ask and it's about time!" Riding class is a GREAT idea. I'm far from a great rider with only 5 years experience EVER on motocycles, but on my riding class day, I was SLOWED DOWN IN THE TURNS by people in front of me on R1's, FZ1, and other trackable bikes. Yes, liter bikes are more flickable, but Busa is flickable too. Get some Diablos on there before you sell it and see. I swear on a stack of Bibles, to ME, Diablos make my busa lean, steer and fall into turns like a 600 [comparison to weight and riding of GSXR600 and KAW636 - my busa steered easier than the gsxr600!] Food for thought. Sorry to ramble, but I think you are loosing alot in the trade off and I won't let you do it.
smile.gif

I think if you are gonna do SERIOUS TRACK DAYS, get a smaller bike. How can I say this part... if you teach yourself how to fire a cannon, shooting a small pistol is easy.... if you if jump out of an airplane with a parachute, jumping of the highdive is nothing .... if you learn to ride twisties on a busa, everything less than that feels like rollerskates. See what I am saying? IT is capable... so are you... the only thing holding you back id yoru decision to use a different tool. Learn t use the tool you have and all other tools are easier... learn on a smaller tool, and you might never be able to handle the larger one again.... the big tool becomes your natural baseline..... on and on I go. Anyway, my 2 cents. Do what you need to, but unless you are going to be MOSTLY on a track, it's still JUST a street.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087359046 -->

smile.gif

Hey BT,

I don't envy your decision one bit and I can't imagine being in your spot.  You have to do what feels right to you.  There isn't much more I can add to what the others have said above as those folks are much more experienced than I.

Give yourself time to think it all the way through.  Maybe go to a school and do some track time on a 600.....work on your skills before deciding that the bike is holding you back that much...maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you bring back to the busa. If you do that and find that you would still like a different bike, you're decision will be based on more concrete information and therefore that much easier for you to make. 

I'd just hate to see you sell it, do some track time or a school and then be disappointed to figure out that you could've risen to the same ability level on da train.

Good luck bro.

Monty

Stop smelling the paint and get the business up and running. Then get a used track or practice bike.

BT,

Don't do it. Instead take the train to a track and take some lessons you will learn to be a faster rider in the twisties and also keep DA TRAIN best of both worlds. I have had several bikes from 600 to the Busa. I would not trade the Busa for any of them, I think you will be very disapointed if you got rid of the Train.

BT, back away from the fumes 'bro! Seriously, I am probably going to take a differing opinion that some of the others have but understand that it is because I have and sometimes still do feel the same. I started with a Kat 750 because I wasn't comfortable that I was ready for the 'Busa. Still not the power of a Gixxer, but enough to give me the feel of riding! I certainly felt comfortable enough to get the 'Busa, but the part that I didn't get and never have gotten was the twistie and wheelie part. Now, neither of those was why I bought the 'Busa but has made me think about getting a used liter bike to get the feel and understanding without taking a chance of hurtin' the 'Busa.

I think that is one of your main points that you don't want to take the chance of learning and practicing those techniques because of fear of ruining 'Da Train. Please look into the option of getting a second bike because I don't think you will feel comfortable getting rid of 'Da Train. You may, but I don't think you would be comfortable.

Finally, you have a lot going on right now with the new fitness program and the paint shop. I think when you really get into the paint shop you will find your time is somewhat scarce anyway and riding will be difficult. Let things even out a little bit and then reconsider. Besides something unexpected may come along to help you out!

Remember, that whatever you decide you're still my 'bro and we will be going to Deals' Gap next year! Also, the requirement for posts on this board including pictures doesn't go away!

Ken

Wow BT...CAN OF WORMS here!
tounge.gif

You and I have talked via email, but I didn't know until now that it was more of an issue of what you think the Busa limits you in doing...I've got to say, and this is with all of my heart, that you should do what you feel is best for you...don't worry about what others say because ultimately, it's only you that's going to have to deal with the decisions you make...

Having said that though, and yeah, here it comes...I've just clicked 5200 miles on my Busa, and with every single ride out now, I find more and more that I can do with that bike...it's a nimble bike (this from a gal that hasn't been on anything other than a Harley 883 Hugger), it handles well at slow speeds, I can make tight turns (though I will always be improving on my skills in this area because I'm truly not mastering it just yet)...I love stretching the Busa's legs in long highway runs for hours just as much as I do sitting in traffic stop-light after stop-light (unless it's Africa hot, then I'm not so thrilled)...

With seat time, it'll come to you...I swear it will...but, if you really want to hone those skills on a smaller bike, then by all means, get one...I think I'd try to hold on to the Busa and opt for something older and used...best of both worlds...I know, that's easier said than done...but, I really think with more seat time, you'll find all that you're looking for in the Busa...

I still mean what I said about getting what you want though...and no one here's going to flame the sh*t out of you for it all...we're all friends here...that you ride and ride safe is really all that matters...
cool.gif

Bullet, I just had a thought, yeah it only tingled a little bit. But here it is. How many miles have you put on your Busa to date over what period of time? If I remember correctly you haven’t been spending a whole lot of time on two wheels. My Point? Glad you asked.

My point is Bro, that to really stay on top of your game you have to ride, you have to get some seat time under you and you have to keep riding regularly or you rust up. So it may not make any difference to your comfort level/learning curve if you do not spend enough time riding. I’ve been riding for about 13 years now or there about, and even last Sunday out for a ride with a good group of folks, I could feel that I was “Off†you know things just weren’t working right, it took me a little while to figure out what was wrong but then I realized that I hadn’t ridden in two weeks. Riding a bike is much more physically and mentally demanding than just driving your car. If you stop doing it for just a week or so your skills are degrading, not your experience or your knowledge of riding but your “touch†if you will, your (Get ZEN With Me Here) “Oneness†with the machine gets shot to hell and last weekend demonstrated this to me clearly. We were running on unfamiliar roads yeah, but that wasn’t really the crux of my discomfort, my feelings of being unsettled, my blowing corner after corner… The problem was simply that I was feeling a little out of tune because I hadn’t been out in a couple of weeks. I would have been just as unsettled during the days ride if I had been on a CBR 600 as well, it just wouldn’t have made a difference. Something to consider bro, basically if your not getting out there 2-3 times a week for at least an hour or so your really doing yourself and your bike a disservice and a change of platform isn’t going to help.

Anyhoo I am going to get some ride photo’s from Sunday Posted now, check em’ and really give it some thought before you do anything dramatic.

The Busa will bive you what you need. Going smaller now is a whole new curve to go through. I think you would be happie4r with the usa, unless you are really going to the races.

This is just a joke, right?  Did april 1st come around again?  ;) I was gonna quote Revlis and add DITTO, but felt compelled to get personal.  If you ride with enough skilled busa people, you can see what the bike is capable of.... and what YOU can eventually make it do.  That's what inspires me to hike it over more, trust my traction and feel and ride pretty good in twisties.  I took mine to the track and gained even more confidence.  I doubt you have even hit the halfway mark of busa's abilities on the street.  Trust me on this - the track opens up another whole level of spanking the bike you can never reach on the street, I don't care what kind of street it is.  I don't feel the bike holding you back as much as you are holding yourself back with the bike as the reason.  You will loose SO MUCH going to a literbike and only gain SOME turning due to shorter wheelbase.  When I hit the wheelbase turning issue, I just lean it more and it smiles and says, "Thought you'd never ask and it's about time!"  Riding class is a GREAT idea.  I'm far from a great rider with only 5 years experience EVER on motocycles, but on my riding class day, I was SLOWED DOWN IN THE TURNS by people in front of me on R1's, FZ1, and other trackable bikes.  Yes, liter bikes are more flickable, but Busa is flickable too.  Get some Diablos on there before you sell it and see.  I swear on a stack of Bibles, to ME, Diablos make my busa lean, steer and fall into turns like a 600 [comparison to weight and riding of GSXR600 and KAW636 - my busa steered easier than the gsxr600!]  Food for thought. Sorry to ramble, but I think you are loosing alot in the trade off and I won't let you do it.  
smile.gif

I think if you are gonna do SERIOUS TRACK DAYS, get a smaller bike.  How can I say this part... if you teach yourself how to fire a cannon, shooting a small pistol is easy.... if you if jump out of an airplane with a parachute, jumping of the highdive is nothing ....  if you learn to ride twisties on a busa, everything less than that feels like rollerskates.   See what I am saying?  IT is capable... so are you... the only thing holding you back id yoru decision to use a different tool.  Learn t use the tool you have and all other tools are easier... learn on a smaller tool, and you might never be able to handle the larger one again.... the big tool becomes your natural baseline..... on and on I go.  Anyway, my 2 cents.  Do what you need to, but unless you are going to be MOSTLY on a track, it's still JUST a street.  
smile.gif
See, I'm not doubtin' the busa's abilities at all. I know the busa will get down and dirty if the rider is able to get 'er there. What I am tryin' to convey is that my confidence in MY abilities on the busa are just not there in some areas. First of all, I'm not intimidated in the least by the speed and power. In fact I'm quite addicted to it. I've become absolutely (prolly a little too much so) comfortable with the busa at speed, as in triple digits and in high speed sweepers. She's just so smooth in those situations that ya can't help but feel confident in 'er up top. I've grown quite comfortable on 'er in mild to moderate difficulty twisties. Very rarely do I run into a situation that makes me question my abilities in these types of ridin'.

Now, here's the problem, and yes it's a problem with ME, not the busa. I have never rode in the really tight twisties, like Deal's Gap or the North Georgia mountains. The thing is that I have NO skills in this area of ridin' and I know from all the readin' I've done in the mags, books, and the boards that serious twisty riders frequent that there's a HIGH likelyhood that I'll lay my ride down learnin' to do this type of ridin'.

BigBS hit on another reason I'm lookin' at goin' the route I layed out in this thread. Besides the fact that I'm not as confident as maybe I should be in the busa as a learning bike due to it's size, weight, etc, I also do NOT want to fug up a busa learnin' how to ride the serious twisties. Same for learnin' the low speed stuff. If I were to go with a litre bike or a 600 I wouldn't feel as bad layin' it down or droppin' it in a parking lot while practicin' low speed swerves and such as long as I ain't hurt too bad. I'd simply put that beeyotch back together for the next run, or maybe even ride it rashed as long as it was rideable and that'd be that even with a brand spankin' new litre bike. It's sole purpose in life would be to serve as a training bike and I'd actually expect it to get fugged up somehow eventually.

Is that silly? Maybe. Yeah, I know they make busas every day and that I could get another one if I trash this one learnin' to ride the twisties. It's just that for whatever reason I can't stand the thoughts of trashin' my busa learnin' these skills. The busa is just such a nice, refined fuggin' bike that I don't want to see it torn up. I see it like learnin' cage racin' startin' out in a friggin' Formula 1 ride. I'd much rather start out in a Camaro or somethin' and then get the Formula 1 ride once I felt confident in my skills and was less likely to bust it up due to stupid newbie mistakes. Yeah, trashin' the Camaro (or smaller bike) would suck monkey nutz too, but not NEAR as bad as bustin' up a Formula 1 racer (or busa)

I'm not 100% on this yet either. Last night I was leanin' heavy toward doin' it. This mornin' I'm sort of mid fence between this and just suckin' it up and learnin' on the busa. If my only worry was buildin' up my confidence in the areas I'm lackin' in I'd no doubt just do it on the busa. I'm just afraid that my apprehension regardin' fuggin' up a busa would keep me from truly pushin' close to my limits and learning to ride the way I wanna be able to ride.

I'm not gonna do anything just yet. I'm gonna look at some bikes and put a LOT of thought into this first. If there's any way to keep the busa and have a "trainin' whore" too, I'll definitely go that route. That would definitely be the best of both worlds. It's just that unfortunately I don't see that in my budget for a while yet. I'll also continue to try and push my abilities on the busa as much as I can stand.

Ya know, it's funny though how many people say "start small" in the "new to bikes" or "new to sport ridin'" types of threads but in my situation that logic doesn't seem to apply. I mean, I am for all intents and purposes just a "newbie" in the type or ridin' I want to learn. As far as general everyday ridin' I'm totally confident in and comfortable with the busa. It's in the areas I need to learn that I think I should "start small". Should those areas be looked at differently than startin' out in sport ridin' in general? Man, ya'll have got me confused. I finally "get it", submit and concede victory to the "start small'ers" and now everyone is tellin' me I'm just as well of learnin' on a big bike. Ugh!!!
laugh.gif

I need an aspirin.
wink.gif

smile.gif

Bullet, I just had a thought, yeah it only tingled a little bit.  But here it is.  How many miles have you put on your Busa to date over what period of time?  If I remember correctly you haven’t been spending a whole lot of time on two wheels.  My Point?  Glad you asked.  

My point is Bro, that to really stay on top of your game you have to ride, you have to get some seat time under you and you have to keep riding regularly or you rust up.  So it may not make any difference to your comfort level/learning curve if you do not spend enough time riding.  I’ve been riding for about 13 years now or there about, and even last Sunday out for a ride with a good group of folks, I could feel that I was “Off†you know things just weren’t working right, it took me a little while to figure out what was wrong but then I realized that I hadn’t ridden in two weeks.  Riding a bike is much more physically and mentally demanding than just driving your car.  If you stop doing it for just a week or so your skills are degrading, not your experience or your knowledge of riding but your “touch†if you will, your (Get ZEN With Me Here) “Oneness†with the machine gets shot to hell and last weekend demonstrated this to me clearly.  We were running on unfamiliar roads yeah, but that wasn’t really the crux of my discomfort, my feelings of being unsettled, my blowing corner after corner…  The problem was simply that I was feeling a little out of tune because I hadn’t been out in a couple of weeks.  I would have been just as unsettled during the days ride if I had been on a CBR 600 as well, it just wouldn’t have made a difference.  Something to consider bro, basically if your not getting out there 2-3 times a week for at least an hour or so your really doing yourself and your bike a disservice and a change of platform isn’t going to help.  

Anyhoo I am going to get some ride photo’s from Sunday Posted now, check em’ and really give it some thought before you do anything dramatic.
Good point. I only have a little over 1200 on her. Definitely not enough to keep sharp on all my skills. On top of that, decent twisties didn't make up NEAR enough of the miles I have rode. There has been LOTS more open road speed than corners that amount to much. Even when I ride Cheaha I put more miles on 'er gettin' there and back than I do actually ridin' the mountain.

One thought that would go in favor of the litre or 600 is this though. Since they are not as comfortable or suited to long haul, open road ridin' I'd prolly tow/haul it to the mountains and do all, or at least most of my ridin' doin' what I wanna learn. I'd still take it to meet Pop for lunch and stuff so I wouldn't be totally neglectin' normal street skills. It's just that more of my seat time would actually be spent learnin' what I want to learn.

There are positives and negatives both ways. Again, ideal situation would be to have both, and if I can I will. Thing is, if I can't work that I have got to make a decision that could affect the rest of my ridin' life. If I decide to keep the busa and learn on it, I may never realize my full potential due to my apprehensions, be they founded or not. That ain't an easy decision to make.
drooling3.gif

Back